Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC

Overall Rating 4.41667/5Overall Rating 4.41667/5Overall Rating 4.41667/5Overall Rating 4.41667/5rating 4.41667
Overall Rating 2.66667/5Overall Rating 2.66667/5rating 2.66667rating 2.66667rating 2.66667

Dorean H.
02/08/2018
AWESOME
I was very happy with service at Matt's Automotive Service in MHD. My brake light came on as I was doing errands on my lunch hr. I went to Matt's & they got my car in right away. Gave me a ride back to work & picked me up after. They were all VERY nice & explained everything to me. I will definately recommend & be using them again

Joe R.
01/31/2018
Do your homework first!
I highly recommend doing your homework before you approve anything. I called Matt's last week because a friend recommended it to me. I told them I was pretty sure the starter needed to be replaced. I had to have it towed which they sublet to someone else. That was a reasonable cost at 67.50. That was the last cost on the receipt that was reasonable.

They charged me $49.00 to look at it - "Verified concern-found starter just clicks" was their note.

They charged $131.97 for a positive battery cable. Searching NAPA online, their charge is anywhere from $9.29-$35.49 each. They also charged $83.19 for labor. Total cost for that was $215.16

For a starter assembly, they used a remanufactured starter and it cost $241.84. Looking again online- O'Reilly Auto-$128.99, NAPA 128.99, and Autozone between $61.99-$143.99. When I questioned that, the man at the desk said that there was a 3 year warranty on it and that the price I showed him (from napa) was cheaper than they paid for it. ...so apparently 100 dollars for a warranty. They additionally charged me $83.19 for labor. Total Cost was $325.03 for the starter and installation.

So all in all, I paid 49.99(diagnosis), 215.16(battery cable), and 325.03 (starter) for a total cost of 590.18 add taxes, towing, and shop supplies and it was a total of $725.05.

Not being a mechanic and knowing the necessity of having a working vehicle, I approved the repairs even though I immediately thought it was too much. Big mistake.

I went back in today, asked to speak with a service manager and he was out at the moment. I spoke to the man at the desk, showing him what I found and his only reply was "Did you approve the repair?" and then there was no reasoning beyond that. I asked him what recourse I had and he said there was nothing. I then asked if they were members of the Better Business Bureau and he told me to research that to find out and he smirked at the idea when I suggested a poor review. He told me to leave as I persisted, though I'm certain the interaction didn't warrant the unreasonable shutdown of the conversation.

I think their pricing is unfair. They charged me as if each was a separate job-diagnosis (i told them what was wrong), battery cable, and starter plus their overpriced parts, on top of very bad service when I attempted to point out what I thought was unfair about it.

So here's my poor review. I will research and report to the better business bureau to at least put it on their radar.

Charles S.
10/23/2017
Crooks
Paid $2,200.00...was told my breaks were good and they've been squealing ever since, forgot to do 2 of things I asked so my truck was there an extra day and still had to go back....sold me stuff I didn't need...wanted to charge me extra to get lug nuts re torqued...tried to sell me new breaks after I complained about bad breaks after they told me they were good.
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 12/06/2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your last visit with us, Charles. Our reviews and feedback are very important to us as that is how we grow as a team and company and are able to ensure that our customers are receiving nothing short of exceptional service. In regards to the squealing brakes, the noise was due to pad quality from another repair shops previous installation that may not have been up to the factory specs of your vehicle, which in turn caused the noise. The only way to repair the noise would be with new pads and rotors. Now, we didn’t recommend them due to having ½ life left in the front and rear brakes being like new. Safety wise, your vehicle did not need brakes. In regards to retorquing the wheel spacers, that would require removing all the wheels and retorquing the spacers as well as the wheels, which would take at least 45 minutes to an hour, and is not a normal repair. We absolutely retorque wheels free, just not the aftermarket spacers you supplied. In regards to retorquing your lug nuts, I think there may have been a miscommunication on what we were going to charge. We absolutely would retorque your wheels at no charge. However, if you wanted to have the wheel spacers that you supplied us retorqued, that would require some additional time that we would have to charge for. This is what you had requested we retorque for your vehicle. These aftermarket wheel spacers go underneath your wheels. This requires us to remove the wheel and then take an extra step and torque the nuts on the spacer. All of this actually would take approximately 45 minutes to an hour,  and we were only going to charge you for a half an hour. We apologize if there was any miscommunication on our part in not explaining what the charge would be for. We’d love to discuss this with you, Charles. Please feel free to give us a call at 218-477-0696. Thank you and happy holidays!

JONATHAN S.
Halstad, MN
10/11/2017
Not quite the standard
I have done business at matts auto since they first opened in Moorhead. They have probably done 15k dollars worth of repairs for me and I have always been happy with their service which is why they get a star. Although Recently I filled out a credit app because they also dont take checks. I am a farmer and do run a legitimate farm that probably brings in an income similar to or greater than most upper management corp. Jobs. They declined my app and when calling about proceeded to tell me that a farm isn't a legit business andBelieve it or not Fargo Moorhead was founded on the value of agriculture. Shame on you. I hope you all starve someday because believe it or not we produce around 100 percent of the nation's food the percentage of people who consume food in this country is also around 100 percent! Sorry for being a loyal customer for almost a decade. I encourage everyone from a farmer to a elevator manger or a grocery store employee, to bankers to stop doing business with matts automotive if this is their views.

Jonathan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We take feedback very seriously and want to make sure all of our customers receive nothing short of a 5-star experience when they bring their vehicles to us. We would like to apologize for the recent poor experience with us, Jonathan. We would like to address some of the concerns you had with your most recent experience. First, we would like you to know that before we had received your credit application, we had just recently made a policy change and were no longer accepting new credit accounts. This was a business decision that was made but hadn’t been fully communicated and implemented yet. John, our Moorhead store manager called you and explained to you that your account was not denied, we just were not accepting any new charge accounts.  You then demanded that our owner, Matt call you.  When Matt called you, you threatened to take your vehicles elsewhere if an account was not granted to you and you had a vehicle that needed the engine replaced and would not bring the vehicle to us unless you had charge status.  Matt again explained to you that we were simply not accepting new charge accounts and had shared a couple instances where the company was not paid and had to eat that money and that while we greatly valued you as a customer, would not be able to extend credit to you or anyone else for the time being.  You then went on to say that your operation produced more money that most Fortune 500 companies and it was our loss as you would be taking your business elsewhere.  Matt again stated we value your business and would love to keep you as a customer, but we would not be able to extend a terms account to you and if that was the reason you would chose to go elsewhere, he understood.  While a response to a review should never seem argumentative in any way, accusing someone of saying that farming is not a legitimate business, and not responding to such terrible comment, would simply not be at all ok with our Owner,  and Matt took great offense to this accusation as he grew up in a small town on a dairy farm, along with both of his grandparents being farmers he helped every summer.  Matt always credits his work ethic to being raised in farming and farming was actually what Matt wanted to do as an adult, so to say something like that was said is just simply not true.  Our country was founded on hard work and farming, and even now, Matt and his family live in rural ND, and support our local farming community in any way possible.  We would also like to point out you stated you have been a customer since we opened, but your first visit with us was in 2014, in which you came in three times.  We didn’t see you again until 2017, for 4 visits.  Matt founded Matt’s Automotive in June of 2009, so we had been open about 5 years when you first visited our facility, and then we didn’t see you for three years until this year.  You also stated you had spent over 15k in those visits, but to date, you have spent a total of $4,700, which is a 10k overstatement.  While we value and appreciate all our customers, no matter what their background is, and while we are confident that your review is not in any way true, and was done out of anger for not receiving a charge account, we feel we have to defend ourselves to the highest extent when false and serious accusations are presented.  We appreciated your past business, and hope you found a service facility that could accommodate your needs better than we were able to.  We would like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

V
Valued Customer
08/04/2017
Awesome Service
We trust Matt's with all of our vehicles and the experience is awesome each and every time!

JOE C.
06/25/2017
A bit pricey.
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 06/26/2017

Thanks for your review, Joe! While we are always striving to be competitive in our pricing, we are always working to exceed our customers’ expectations and provide exceptional service and value in everything we do. We are sorry you didn’t feel the value exceeded the price you paid, but are happy to receive feedback from all of our awesome customers.

MELANIE S.
Kia Soul
06/21/2017
Wow!
Matt's was able to get my car in and taken care of all within a couple hours. Courtesy rides were offered and the mechanical staff were fantastic and knowledgeable. Thank you for cleaning up Swamp Kia!!!
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 06/22/2017

We’re glad we were able to get you in and out with ease and convenience, Melanie! We strive to provide exceptional service to each one of our awesome customers. Thanks for your review and your trust in us, Melanie!

RL
RYAN L.
BMW 328xi
06/19/2017
Another Great Service
We go nowhere but Matt's! Because of a move out of the state, this will be our final trip to Matt's but I would highly recommend them to any one that's looking for a repair shop. There are many to chose from, but one can rest assured that here you will be treated fairly, with respect (whether you're a man or a woman), and be given honest feedback and pricing regarding your vehicle.

We've taken our cars here for 6 years. They're great and if it weren't for our move, we'd keep on taking them there.

Thank you for your long relationship with us at Matt’s Automotive, Ryan. We’re sad to see you go but want to wish you good luck in your move and your future plans. We strive to build strong relationships with our customers through great service and clear communication. Again, thanks, Ryan!

KATIE S.
Dodge Ram Wagon
06/17/2017
Great job!
I've never been so pleased with automotive services than I am right now. They did a great job with our vehicle and were honest about everything throughout the repairs. Will be using them again when necessary!
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 06/20/2017

At Matt’s Automotive, a couple of our core values are to never put money ahead of people and to provide only the highest quality repairs and services, including high-quality customer service. Thank you for your super review and we look forward to being your trusted partner in the care of your vehicle.

STEVE B.
Dodge Durango
06/16/2017
Courteous, prompt and reasonably priced
Very courteous. Takes care of recommended repairs promptly. Great online communication with photographs of areas in need of repair and links to an online site with information about the function of that specific area. Repair costs are lower than the dealers in town.

We strive to build strong relationships with our customers and to us, that means clear communication while providing exceptional service. Thanks for your patronage and your awesome review, Steve!

TK
TRACY K.
Chevrolet Sonic
06/16/2017
Always available and professional. Competitive pricing and satisfied results.

We love our customers and always want to make sure they are receiving nothing short of 5-star service when they trust us with their vehicles. Thanks for your great review and for allowing us to assist you with your vehicle, Tracy!

JJ
JENNIFIER J.
Honda Fit
06/14/2017
Great Customer Service
I've always been satisfied with service here, but yesterday was exceptionally pleased. I had a tire that I was so tired of putting air in continuously. Called, without an appointment to see if I could get in in that day. Even though they were already busy they were kind enough to allow me to drop the car by and they would look at it when they could. I wasn't expecting it to get done as fast as it did and was super pleased with the service.
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 06/16/2017

Thank you for your great review, Jennifer! We love our customers and always want to provide them with a great experience each time they trust us with their vehicles.

KH
KARISSA H.
West Fargo, ND
Mazda 6
06/11/2017
Honest and efficient
I recently had a flat tire on a new car with tires the shop had to order in. They were honest with me and searched around to find the tire. Quick, efficient, friendly, and honest. I'd recommend Matt's again!

Thanks for your review and recommendation, Karissa! One of our core values is to never put money before people. Because of strong core values like that, we’re able to provide exceptional service to our awesome customers.

LH
LARRY H.
Dilworth, MN
06/08/2017
Great Customer Service
They were very happy to give me and my small children a ride home in our van since their courtesy vans don't have car seats. They brought our van home when they finished and took care of the bill over the phone. It was so convenient!
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 06/08/2017

We love hearing stories like this one, where our customers had an exceptional experience as we strive for every customer to receive an exceptional experience. Thank you for your review and we look forward to being able to assist you in the future!

EH
ELIZABETH H.
05/30/2017
Continuity of Care
Appreciated that I was able to work with same service writer/rep throughout several days of repairs. Flexibility of contact methods: cell #, text message, e-mail, or got connected to him immediately if I called shop #. Jury still out on repairs done - there are new funny noises from pwr steering - but I recognize this is an older car used purchased strictly for commuting comfort. I don't think it was well maintained before I got it and may have been in an accident or two. I was in a unique situation in that I could leave the vehicle at the shop for several days so they only had to tear down once to complete all repairs. Normally I would need a loaner car/ride at times outside regular business hours. So don't know how well they'd accommodate that, but it would be vital to me.
Matt L., Owner & Founder from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 05/30/2017

Elizabeth, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent experience with us.  We pride ourselves on our customer service and after speaking with you, sounds like we definately did a great job in that area, which is awesome.  Like I explained to you on the phone, you can have 100% confidence in the repairs that were completed as they are backed with our 3 year/36,000 mile warranty that is nationwide.  Regarding your noise, when you were in about 8 months ago, we looked into that and informed you about it, and we do not typically try to hound a customer after informing them one time as we dont want to come off to our customers that we trying to sell something.  While some customers may want to be reminded of issues going on each time, some do not, so we adopted the policy of letting you know when it is discovered and letting you decide from there.  Like I discussed with you on the phone as well, we do have courtesy rides available along with free loaner vehicles when your vehicle is in for an extended period.  Thank you for taking my call this morning and we greatly appreciate your continued business and look forward to working with you again!  Have a wonderful day!

FK
FRANK K.
Nissan Murano
05/23/2017
Friendly staff
Will go back again
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 05/23/2017

Thank you for your review, Frank! We strive to continuously provide exceptional service to our customers. We’re glad we’ll be able to continue assisting you with your vehicle in the future.

DUANE P.
Cadillac Seville
05/04/2017
welcoming atmosphere at the desk
A fine review provided me of the bill and maintenance issues.
May I suggest that the desk manager call about some maintenance issues that may need prompt attention...in this way I might have suggested that we drain and replace the brake fluid before I picked up the car. (As it is, I will need to return the car for this minor yet necessary work...in the near future.) Thanks!
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 05/05/2017

We are always excited to receive feedback from our customers so we can continue growing and being able to provide better service to our customers. Thanks for your great review, Duane!

GN
GARY N.
Saturn L200
05/04/2017
Great service with no pressure
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 05/08/2017

Thank you for your great review, Gary! We appreciate and value our customers and are always striving to provide nothing short of a 5-Star plus experience.

BP
BETH P.
04/26/2017
Professionalism
I always feel like my car is getting the best care possible at Matts. Everyone is friendly, professional, straight-forward and efficient. I had no idea that factory tires only lasted to about 35,000 miles so was very grateful for the 'heads up' that I will likely need new tires by next winter. That's a big enough purchase that I need some time to budget for it, so was glad to get that information now. I recommend Matts to people all the time.

Because of AWESOME customers like you Beth, we get to do what we love every day! Thank you for your great review and the trust you have in us!

JJ
JARED J.
Pontiac Grand Prix
04/22/2017
Friendly staff
They stayed on task and kept me posted on what they were doing. Staff was very curteous throughout the whole process. Very reasonable for the job that was done as well.
Alejandra S., Marketing Coordinator from Matt's Automotive Service Center LLC responded on 04/24/2017

We value our customers and their time, that is why we believe in the importance of communication and exceptional service. We appreciate your great review, Jared!