TF
Tammy F.
Chrysler 300M
10/19/2019
Will find somewhere else to take my car
Modern Automotive was where I felt like I wanted to take my car. I felt like I was treated respectfully and I thought they took good care of my car. Beginning of June was crunch time for me to get my car to pass inspection. They wouldn't pass it due to needing new tie rods. Then an alignment and whatever else they did that the bill totaled about 650.00. Fast forward to last weekend and my right front tire was very low and same side headlight was out. Fix a flat got me to Monday morning. I took my car in and asked them to fix the tire and the headlight. For a total of 446.00 and some change. Turned out I needed a new tie rod on the right side this time. I thought it was something that was recently fixed but I didn't question. I needed my car. I was talking to my ex about it and found the receipt for the tie rod replacement in june. He told me if one needs replacing they should both be replaced at the same time. Apparently in june only the left one was replaced. By the time I got my car in on monday the wheel was able to move freely in directions that it shouldn't which is terribly unsafe. My second job is a delivery driver and I use my car. I work 2 jobs trying to support my children as a single mom. That 400 was supposed to go towards my November rent. New engine light was on when I got the car back from them fixing it. Just got the engine light cleared out for something having to do with my gas cap. This new engine light is saying my mass air flow sensor is bad. Wasn't the message I got before they took my car back to get it fixed. I felt so violated.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 10/21/2019

Tammy, I am so sorry that you continue to have challenges with your car.  I understand that it is upsetting.  But to be clear this is not an issue that was caused by our repairs (which would be covered by our warranty)  Your Car Failed Va State Inspection in June.  It required Rear Brakes and a left inner tie rod to pass.  We performed that work.  Your ex probably was unaware that the original repair was only to get the vehicle in a condition to pass the Va State Inspection Standard. At that time the right tie rod met the standard to pass Va State Inspection.  When you returned 4 months and 6,000 miles later, with a nail in your tire and a headlight out, your right tie rod had gone bad and needed to be replaced as well.  I hate that the timing was bad for you.  We have worked with you when you needed a place that would accept a 3rd party payor and have continued to do nothing but work to keep your vehicle operating.  I do not understand what your comment about the check engine light is about.  We were not asked to diagnose a check engine light issue except in September when you had an issue with the Camshaft Position sensor, which was replaced and is no longer an issue, to my knowledge and again if it were an issue it would be covered under warranty.    Sincerely,   Chuck Swain, Owner

LP
Lynn P.
06/23/2019
Consistently Excellent
As usual, the personnel at the front desk were friendly and accommodating and the service was very good. If you have any work done to your car at Modern Automotive, I'd be surprised if you don't come away happy with their work.

Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
05/22/2019
Took to long for inspection sticker
Had an appointment at 1:30pm and they called me at 3:30 that they finally finished then didn’t even put a rejection sticker on my car they put nothing on my car.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 05/23/2019

We were asked to perform a Va State Inspection on the Jetta, it arrived without a sticker on the windshield.  It failed due an exhaust leak.  Unfortunately, it had been rejected by another station and arrived without a sticker on it.  Here is the regulation reference (19VAC30-70-60 para A) therefore we are not allowed to issue a second rejection sticker.

KA
Karen A.
11/21/2018
Feeling taken advantage of
Who charges $47.36 to change a headlight bulb?!?!???? Oh! And the one Modern Automotive changed in May has already burned out!!!!! Walmart replaced it for $16.47!!!
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/21/2018

I am sorry that you had a bad experience here.  Wish you had brought it back to us, we would have replaced it for free, as it was under warranty.  I would love to provide you with your next three oil changes on me.  I have put a note in your file in the event that I am not here when/if you come for the Oil Change whomever is working up front will know that you are owed 3 free ones.

ES
Emma S.
Scion tC
07/19/2018 Category: Service
Spoke to Logan. He said that they had to take her vehicle back in to get the axle fixed. They spent $800 on the repairs and are not happy.
Chuck S., Manager from Modern Automotive responded on 07/20/2018

The vehicle left here without the issues that came up (terrible screeching) we happily brought it back in and found a backing plate rubbing brake rotor.  We repaired this new issue with no charge.

BO
Bill O.
02/07/2018 Category: Service
Bill said the business quoted him one price and charged a higher price when he picked up the vehicle. An inspection fee had been included that was not on the estimate and though it was discounted, it was unexpected. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, and kind.
Chuck S., Manager from Modern Automotive responded on 02/12/2018

Bill, Thank you for the feedback.  I am sorry for the confusion regarding the diagnostic charge.  I have spoken with the team up front to ensure that this type of confusion doesn't happen again.

HH
Hunter H.
12/30/2017
Not great
My husband also came with Hunter Haynes with my Lexus ES 350 and it was scratched in the front . My husband called and the man wanted to make sure he didn't do it I just bought the car five days before have pictures of before and after so he did do the damage.
Chuck S., Manager from Modern Automotive responded on 01/02/2018

Yes.  Hunter and your husband brought in two vehicles a Lexus & a Chrysler for State Inspections.  The Lexus passed Va. State Inspection (had an out of state temp tag) & the Chrysler failed.  Terry who conducted both inspections worked with Hunter to help him understand what would be needed for the Chrysler to pass Va Inspection, as he indicated he planned to perform the work himself.
There were no issues while on site.  There was nothing done here to cause any damage to either vehicle.  The inspection bay is outfitted with a two post lift and nothing came in contact with the bumper area (where you indicated that the scratches are).  I am sorry that you have a scratch (or scratches) on your car's bumper.  But we did not cause them.
I am not saying we are perfect, we aren't.  But we are honest and if we had damaged your vehicle we would have told you and we would have worked to make it right.

TP
Trey P.
06/09/2017 Category: Service
Trey said it was okay but he was not pleased that he had to pay labor for a defective part.
Chuck S., Manager from Modern Automotive responded on 06/14/2017

Trey, I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, in this case the remaining warranty only covered parts. Our Technician install your parts correctly both times. The manufacturer of the bad part replaced it at not charge.

Buick Park Avenue
12/05/2019
Very nice people to work with.
All of the work was taking care of quickly and in a professional manner.

IA
Ian A.
Blacksburg, VA
BMW M3
BMW Half shaft removal
Great help as always. Had to remove some axles that were seized in hub. Shop manager and mechanic were very kind during this process. Fair pricing and quality work. Hard if not impossible to find both. I will continue to go to this shop for all my automobile needs. They never disappoint.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 12/05/2019

Ian, Thank you for the review!  I will share your comments with the team.  Glad we were able to get the Beemer taken care of for you.

Matt M.
Catawba, VA
Very Professional Team - Highly Recommend
Thomas, Terry and the team are very professional and responsible....working with you every step. Explained in detail and offer options. Reasonable prices with option for a shuttle
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 12/05/2019

Thank you Matt!  Reviews like your really help new folks find us hidden back here behind the Farmhouse restaurant!

Chuck Swain, Owner

BK
Bill K.
Minivan service & state inspection
Work done quickly--thank you!
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 12/05/2019

Thank you Bill we really appreciate the review.  Often folks who have been with us as many years as you have just don't give reviews.
Thank you again!

JN
Judy N.
Chevrolet HHR
11/21/2019 Category: Service
Judy said they were excellent, kind, patient and honest.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/25/2019

Thank you!

Richard C.
11/16/2019
Courteous to family
Thank you for not being condescending to my daughter when she picked up the car. I taught her everything I know - in about 5 minutes!
So happy for the quick work when you were obviously very busy.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/18/2019

Richard, Your family is our family.  Glad we were able to get you taken care of in a timely manner.  Thank you for the excellent 5 star review!

Doug H.
11/15/2019
Valve cover gasket
Carl, the mechanic who is your Jeep specialist impresses me more everytime I bring my jeep to you guys. He not only replaced gasket but degreased the whole top engine area. I know he did not have to do that but when I saw that I knew this man takes pride in his work. Terry Lucas also goes out of his way everytime to make sure I get value for my money. Nothing like dealing with honest people. Thanks so much. Doug Hylton
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/18/2019

Doug, thank you far taking the time to give your feedback.  I am very proud of the team we have built here.  It is our aim to continuously provide care and service above industry standards.  Than you again for taking the time to write this excellent review.

YL
Yvonne L.
11/15/2019 Category: Service
Spoke with Amanda. She said the repairs were done in a timely manner, the business was honest and she also said she will be a repeat customer.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/18/2019

Excellent to hear.  Thank you for the 5 Star Review!

11/13/2019
Modern Automotive delivers professional service with the personal touch
Timely , professional and courteous what more can you ask for? all of that at reasonable rates.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/18/2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with the 5 Stars and the wonderful description of the business.

Hyundai Accent
It is fixed
It is fixed
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/18/2019

Thank you for the review!
We really appreciate it.

NS
Nancy S.
Dodge Durango
Wonderful service
I have used this garage and others in the area in the last several months due to the advanced age of my vehicle and I have to say that the service here beats other garages hands down. Thomas and Terry are very knowledgeable and they made sure I knew everything that was going on with my vehicle. The mechanics do a great job and I have not had any issue with their work at all. They got my vehicle in so quickly and told me everything that they found in an efficient manner. I will be using Modern Automotive going forward and I recommend them highly. Unlike a lot of garages in the area, they are not overpriced and they have never made me wait beyond the expected time for repair. They certainly seem to have their business model and concept well in hand!
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/15/2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an excellent review.  We really do care about the folks we are working with I am glad that our culture was obvious to you.  Being a bit off the main road, reviews like ours are important to us. It helps other find us.

Thank you again!

Chuck Swain, Owner

Joy C.
Blacksburg, VA
Joy’s Tahoe
Cold raining day stuck at a gas station car would not start. You guys came and got me and my car back to the shop and fixed the problem. No words can really express my gratitude in taking care of this situation. Thanks so much for looking after me.
CHUCK S. from Modern Automotive responded on 11/15/2019

Glad we could help you out Mrs. Joy.  Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us!