Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding

Gail Z.
Fairfax, VA
02/26/2019
Shocking experience
My daughter took her car in for inspection. It was rejected because she was told it needed wiper blades AND an inner tie rod -- all at a cost of $452.72. I took car to Toyota dealer where it has been regularly serviced and repaired over the years. There was NO problem at all with the inner tie rod! NOT an honest way to generate revenue.

KV
KENNETH V.
12/30/2015
Service review
I've only had one other issue before with VA Tire and Auto but this last one I feel needs mentioning. I arrived a few minutes late for pick up, after closing. I noticed my car was left in a handicapped parking space (there are no handicap plates on the car). That was a little disturbing, but what's more my car was left unlocked. The later issue I figure someone was just in a hurry and forgot to lock the car, but parking it in a handicapped spot I can't figure out how that happened. I reached out to the store manager about the parking job, but I have not heard back. Hopefully this lack of response is due to his being off for the Holidays.

LISA B.
Ford Fiesta
12/30/2015
Not So Great Experience
I needed a new tire and rim. I got that taken care of, everything was fine. Driving home I noticed my alignment was INCREDIBLY off. So I had to return for that. A slight inconvenience, I wish they'd have recommended that before I drove it home. There is no way they couldn't have known, because they had to drive my car around the lot to put the new tire/rim on and park it when they were finished. The alignment being messed up was my fault, but they had to have noticed it when they drove it cuz it was VERY VERY extraordinarily remarkably bad. So I had to drive back for that. I ordered myself a new rim and my husband attempted to put it on at home, but 2 of the lugnuts were damaged to the point where he couldn't get them off to put on the new hubcap. Another item I'd think the service techs would recommend me ordering 2 new lug nuts... but no. they let me go home and extend this problem of my wheel even longer. So I went in to VA Tire & Auto to get the new lug nuts and was told it'd be a 1 to 1.5 hr wait for them to replace the lugnuts and put the new hubcap on. No problem. I called my husband to pick me up. After he got out of the house and down to your shop to come get me, I was in the car, we were pulling away, when Taylor (?) came running out to say "oops nevermind we don't have the lug nuts here we have to order them." wtf. so my husband (a little steamed at this point) went back home and I went in to order lug nuts. But the manager said, "why doesn't she just go to her dealership. it'd be quicker." um, I don't care about quick, I care about convenience and this whole tire issue was really getting out of control. sounded like he didn't want my business. I'm hesistant to come back, the only advantage is that it's open weekends and close to home :(

NF
NOLAND F.
12/24/2015
Services on just tires
Been going here for years. The markup prices you do on your parts is ridiculously high. I wish I just went someone else that they give 40% less then you guys. First you guys order my tires and told me it been in the next day. Nobody called and we had to call and then found out the tires were sent to the wrong location so we had to wait the next day. We were told that we been first no matter what because of the mix up. Well that wasn't the case I didn't' get my car back until the evening time. Then get the call that you guys broke the stud. Had to pay the labor for it. Really. I was so done by then. They told me we didn't have to pay for it. When we came in they didn't remove it. So they remove it. And didn't even apologize on nothing. Lack of communication.

EK
ELIZABETH K.
Volkswagen GTI
12/23/2015
Generally poor customer service
The gentleman on the phone did not tell me the same thing the man I met at the shop did, which is that I would need to replace all four tires, not just one, to keep it from being "noisy as hell". I wouldn't have minded so much except we had called two days prior and could actually have ordered the tires. In the end, I still would have ordered the three remaining tires from the man in the shop but he ignored me. What it boils down to - a nice man on the phone who could have provided us with more information and fairly terrible customer service in the shop.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 12/31/2015

THank you for speaking with me and for understanding that it is very difficult to know exactly what repairs a vehicle may need over the phone. This does not excuse the service you received and we thank you for making us aware of your experience. Feedback such as this is vital to us so that we may correct any internal issues.

AP
ASHLEY P.
Mercedes-Benz CLS550
12/21/2015
Not a good experience.
We took my wife's car here about a month ago and had a good experience, unfortunately when we took my car in this past weekend it was far from a good one. I ordered a tire which was delivered early in the AM and I got a call to have me come on in. They said it was not busy at the time so I got in my car and left, when I got there it was slammed. They told me it would be 2 hours so I decided to wait in the lobby and get some work done. 3.5 hours later I notice my car sitting in the back looking like service has been completed so I asked about it. The young lady at the front checked for me and said that my tire has been replaced and they are just waiting to do the alignment. I asked how much longer and she said 45 minutes, that is where I had enough. I spoke to the Asst. Manager Alex who was a kind gentleman and apologized as well as gave me a little break on the tire and an upgraded alignment for a future day. That was nice, but I walked away with half of the job done and 3.5 hours of my time gone on a busy day ... all the while the folks working at the front desk were just sitting back texting away in their free time rather than coming and checking on the customers waiting in the lobby to see how we were doing. Could have saved the problem from occurring with just a little bit of good customer service. I have my new tire, but they made my rim filthy and now I have to go get it cleaned (this should have been done at the shop) and I also need my alignment done. Neither my wife nor I will be coming back.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 12/31/2015

Your time is very important to us. Our deepest apologies for this oversight. It was never our intention to allow this to happen.We pride ourselves on great customer service and look forward to your return so that we may complete your automotive needs. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and for you allowing us to correct this.

TW
THADDEUS/JENNIFER W.
12/14/2015
no sense of urgency from the South Riding Staff
Dropped off my car after hours via the overnight dropbox. The shop opened at 0700 the next morning. I called them at 0725 and the clerk mentioned they had not created the ticket yet (which is fine). At that time I also explained the desire to have the car back by noon. The clerk stated they would have the ticket written up and give me a call before 0900. I did not get a call back from them. I called them back at 0945 and they still have not ran an engine diagnostics. I finally got a call at 1145 with the results of the engine diagnostics. The main issue with this visit was that appeared that I got skipping in line when using the overnight dropoff. Also this is the second time I have taken vehicle to Virginia Tire & Auto of South Riding and then mysteriously had another issue pop-up 1-2 days later.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 12/21/2015

Thank you for taking the time to allow us to correct this issue. Again, my apologies for not addressing your needs in the time frame you allowed. We look forward to assisting you in the future.

DOUGLAS B.
Acura TL
12/12/2015
Heath Payne listened to my situation and took care of me beyond my expectations. He was genuine and a man of his word. Very impressed with his help.

12/12/2015
Unprofessional service
Terrible service. Asked for an oil change snd ended up with a rejected state inspection. Wasnt shown the reason and wasnt offered a solution.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 12/21/2015

Thank you for taking the time to allow us to address your concerns. It turned out that performing the inspection on your vehicle uncovered a safety issue before it possibly became a very large issue.We appreciate your understanding and calm approach to this matter. We look forward to assisting you in the future. Thank you!

TIM S.
Subaru
12/06/2015
They Ferris Bueller'd my car!
Went there to get my winter tires mounted. After about an hour I see my car driving off the lot with all the lights off, it was dark. I run outside and about halfway down the road they turn the lights on and drive toward the highway. A few minutes later it pulls back onto the lot and I'm waiting for the tech who drove it. I ask him why he drove my car off the lot, he said they test drive all cars around the block after mounting tires to ensure they are balanced. That is what their tire balancing machine is for. I go back inside and ask the people behind the desk why my car was driven off the lot, they backed up the tech, but I'm not buying it. Hope he enjoyed the joyride. I'll never be returning there and will recount this story in as posting and to as many of my friends as colleagues that will listen.

PM
PETE M.
12/06/2015
That's how they get you
The safety inspection found a brake light out and you charged $20 parts and labor which is excessive.

JAY H.
Volkswagen New Beetle
12/05/2015
Fast Diagnostic but NOT Cheap and No Fee Waive policy on work to be done.
Took my vehicle in because my check engine light came on. After several hours in their hands, I was quoted a price for $500 just to replace my spark plugs and wires (not including other charges). This seemed very excessive so I took my car to another shop for a second opinion. I understand that time is money but some shops waive the diagnostic fee (in this case $114) if the work is done their. Not in this shop. I do have to say that they were quick in the diagnostic, just think they need to look at their policy of the diagnostic charge.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 12/07/2015

we appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback.

JAMES M C.
Chantilly, VA
Toyota Avalon
12/04/2015
Because you asked for feedback, I'll tell you that the only thing I trust VA Tire & Auto to do for me is inspections. The only reason for the one star is that there is no option for zero stars.
During my last visit to the South Riding location (for the inspection of my Avalon), my vehicle failed inspection because the front brake pads were too worn. Your store gave me an estimate of more than $800 to replace the front and rear pads and rotors. The cost for pads and rotors on the estimate was more than twice what I paid for Toyota parts at Ourisman Toyota in Chantilly. Needless to say, I bought the parts and did the work myself for less than $200.

During a previous inspection on the same car, it failed due to a tear in the boot on the steering rack. The estimate to repair came in around $1200. Your guys claimed that there was evidence that the boot had ben torn for a while, that dirt had found its way into the steering rack, and that major overhaul was required. I bought a new, genuine Toyota boot for less than $20 at Ourisman and replaced it myself in about an hour. That was almost 3 years ago, and I haven't had a problem with the steering or alignment since then.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 12/07/2015

we appreciate your feedback. Fortunately you are able to address these issues yourself. As with any service provided by a specialist there will be some type of fee associated with the service provided. For those who are able to address these issues themselves the fee always seems very high. However paying for a service also has its rewards. (warrnty, free time, etc..)We perform at least two market surveys a year to ensure we are competitively priced within our area.

BG
BRIAN M G.
Chantilly, VA
11/19/2015
Jeep - Heater broken
I have always been very pleased with the service with this location..however this week I took our Jeep in to get the heater checked out. We knew it was broken and needed repair. I was told that a diagnostic will need to be run to determine the problem. I agreed to it, because in the past I have been told the same. This time however, I was charged $121.00. I have never been charged and never been told there's a charge...so I was very surprised. We picked up the Jeep without repair because I was told that it would take a couple days to repair and we also need to determine if $2000 is worth it on a 13 year old car. So - we are now out of $121.00 and we know the same we knew going in - that the heater is broken. Worst $121 ever spent! Yes - I do and have recommended this place to others....but we are disappointed this time.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 11/22/2015

thank you for your feedback.

AD
ASHISH D.
11/08/2015
Review
Review was provided on the invoice I signed.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 11/18/2015

SE
SCOTT E.
11/01/2015
Poor Customer Service, Repair Issues.
I've used the South Riding Virginia Tire location many times, as it is only a 20 minute walk from my home. My last visit required 4 walking trips to and from the shop. After my requested oil change the shop recommended a serpentine belt replacement as well as a few other minor fixes. I authorized the repairs and was told it would be 1-1/2 to 2 hours. After 3 hours, I called to check, and was told my car was done and ready to go. I walked to the shop, and after a few minutes of confusion, was told my car was not done. In fact, they were still waiting for the correct belt. 2 more hours. No offer of a shuttle home. I walked back home, and a half hour later was told my car was done. No shuttle available to pick me up. Now I have my car, and it isn't idling properly. Do I have to take it back to this place? Very disappointed in the service here.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 11/04/2015

Thank you for giving us the oppurtunity to address your most recent visit. Again our apologies for any inconvenience or trouble this may have put you through.

DK
DEBRA K.
Hyundai Santa Fe
10/20/2015
Crooks
I took my car in for an inspection ( my car had a full and thorough check at 120,000 miles at a reputable place) no mention of tires or brakes came up. I was told I needed both and given a quote of over $1,000. I took it to another place and it passed inspection with no mention of the issues your shop claimed. I suspect this is a way to try and rip people off to get them to pay for services they do not need!
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 10/21/2015

We have been in business for 37 years plus. This type of achievement is not accomplished by being dishonest. I hope that we were incorrect and you were not given a false sense of hope by another repair facility. Anytime a vehicle does not pass inspection we offer to show the consumer the issues. This provides reassurance and a good understanding to the consumer. I know that you declined to be shown the issues and really wish that we would have pushed the issue so that you nor we would be in this situation. Thank you.

PB
PATRICK B.
Chevrolet Corvette
10/20/2015
Went In to Replace Turn Signals, Received a Broken Windsheild
Bottom line up front: When I went to pick it up, there was a huge impact-type break on the middle lower section of the windshield, right above the inspection sticker. I didn't find it - it found me because of how large it was. The mechanic said that "it did not happen in the shop". Well...they obviously do courtesy inspections since (even though I didn't ask), they said my rear tires could be replaced and were worn to near minimum specification, and gave me a quote. So when they pulled the car out of the garage (or in, mind you), how do you miss a large crater in the windshield? BTW, that is an INSPECTION ITEM, so why did you not catch that? All I got was "It didn't happen in the shop!"- but I know it did. It would have been seen prior to bringing it in when the manager came out and opened the hood to see how difficult the job was (the hood opens from the rear side near the windshield so you lift it near the windshield - you could not miss the breakage if it was there!), or when their guy drove it into the service bay, or drove it out. YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY MISS THE WINDSHIELD BREAKAGE!!! Messing up is one thing, but dishonesty is a whole new level. Service at this location has gone downhill in the past year and a half or two years. I encourage all my friends to look elsewhere unless they want this kind of stuff to happen to them.

SG
STEVEN G.
Acura TL
10/10/2015
Awful service
Went in for a tire repair and was told that the tire could not be repaired. The service person recommended a tire and said that they would be ordered. Went in the next day to pick up my car only to find out tires were never ordered. This caused me to miss some very important meetings. When my car was ready I found all four tires had much different tire pressure and one of the stem covers was missing
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 10/21/2015

Our apologies for this inconvenience. There was a delivery error which caused this mistake. We took every step imaginable to correct this issue but unfortunately we are unable to give you the time you missed back. Thank you for allowing us to correct this mistake.

CG
CHAE G.
10/01/2015
Get a second opinion
Virginia Tire and Auto safety failed our 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite vehicle due to movement in the right front wheel. Offered to replace bearing and hub assembly in excess of $500. Vehicle was taken to Chantilly Honda dealership as the vehicle was maintenanced two months earlier without such problems. Dealership did same day inspection and retighened an access panel with no charge. No replacement of bearings and hub assembly needed. They provided free safety inspection so my wife did not have to keep going back and forth.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 10/08/2015

We appreciate you making us aware of your most recent experience. We look forward to your return visit so that we may ensure that this components is actually in good condition. I first priority is your safety.

PR
PAUL R.
Alexandria, VA
Honda Accord
09/27/2015
I am on the fence!
I went in for an oil change and they did not reset my oil counter! Plus, my girl friend corrected them for $1000 error in their favor and got a $10 credit for our honesty.
Heath P. from Virginia Tire and Auto of South Riding responded on 10/08/2015

Thank you for your feedback.