RALPH B.
Mckenna, WA
12/13/2020
they have done real good on all of our cars
i would have given a higher rating except this last time we did not receive a phone call on the status of our car . i had to go to the emerald car shop 2 different times to find out the status of my car . please call your customers .

Mike S.
Ford Expedition
09/15/2020 Category: Service
Mike said he went to the business because his front end was making some noise and the business didn't diagnose that. He said the business was okay.

Shiela W.
Mckenna, WA
05/29/2020 Category: Service
Shiela said the service has been very frustrating. She took her vehicle in to replace the engine, when her husband picked it up and test drove it they had to take it back to get more repairs.

John M.
11/20/2019 Category: Service
John said he will no longer be recommending this business for service. He has been taking his vehicle to this facility for over 20 years. In the past an oil change would include his vehicle being washed and vacuumed and there was always someone to give him a ride home if needed. Now at $60 per oil change these services are not offered and he would like them to be.

KP
KIM P.
Dodge Durango
12/06/2018
Great service but concerned about unlocked car.
Everything was great about your service except when I pulled in to find my car was in the parking lot unlocked with a sign posted about the business not being responsible for lost or stolen items.

I expected my car to be secure while in your care. What I was told is it is customary to leave vehicles unlocked after servicing. Now I know that many vehicles in your parking lot are left unlocked in any given day. As does any other customer who has used your shop. I am not a thief, but if I were, you just gave me a place to do my Christmas shopping.

With a change in this policy, I would absolutely return and recommend your business to my friends and family. I left nothing of high value in my vehicle, however, I would have taken a few more things out had I known.

I would have given 5 stars otherwise.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 12/07/2018

Hi Kim,
Thank you for taking the time to write out a review on your service you received at Browns Car Care.  Although we are happy that you felt your  service was great we were surprised on the feedback about locking the car after the work was completed.  What our sign states not responsible for any car or truck not picked up on the day of repair completion for missing items.  However, we have been in busy for over twenty years and we have not had any issues with our customer's vehicles  coming up with missing items while in the shop or in the parking lot.  You made a good point which had us thinking of our process and although this has not happened in the past does not mean that it could not happen, so with that being said we are going to change our policy to locking the vehicles after they have been worked on as we would feel really bad if we did not change and something came up missing.  Thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to servicing all your car care needs in the future.

Mike & Donna Brown
Browns Car Care

ROBERT R.
Le Sueur, MN
Chevrolet Silverado
07/02/2017
Reasoner
Service was friendly and performed well. However, it is the most expensive oil change I have ever gotten. When you are 1,500 miles from home you have to do what you have to do.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 07/03/2017

Robert, thank you for taking the time for a review, I am glad you were happy with the service you received and thank you for recommending us. As far as pricing goes, we strive to remain competitive with other shops in our area. Thank you again Robert for taking the time to write a review.

JIM C.
Oldsmobile Bravada
10/21/2016
Sloppy workmanship
Rags were left between the grill and engine....
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 10/27/2016

Sorry Jim I will make sure I bring this up in our next safety meeting so it never happens again. We do try hard not to have this happen. With up to 3 people checking the cars after maintenance you think one would have seen it. Sorry again we will make it up to you.

DF
DAN F.
Bellevue, WA
Toyota Matrix
09/02/2016
Still hopeful
Went in because I was having idle issues and was referred by a friend. John is a great guy and the facility is well kept, but unfortunately they were unable to fix the issue the first time around. I called after driving a little down the road and the check engine light went back on and they penciled me in for the first day the next week. I'mean hoping it doesn't cost too much more to find the issue!
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 09/03/2016

The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 09/03/2016

Sorry to hear about it Dan we fully warranty everything we do and if the repair that we did did not fix the problem we don't charge a second time for working on it. As far as put you in first part of next week I need to know when you called in. Because we always put people's cars that have already been worked on the highest priority. Will be closed on Monday for the holiday but if you want to we can work on it first thing in the morning on Tuesday at 9 a.m. . We strive to do our best and hope to please you.

DEVON M.
Chevrolet Camaro
08/14/2016
1995 Camaro
I'm semi satisfied with my service on my 1995 Camaro ans why I say semi is the first time I took it in I had a full time up done and assured that my car was fine and they didn't find anything else wrong with it. So two days later the car wouldn't start so then I was told that it needed and new alternator so I was not happy with that but I had it repaired and was assured that everything is up to par and the check engine light is still on and the car seems to get hot when I am stopped for to long and still doesn't have much more power than it did before so really that's all I can say at this point
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 08/15/2016

Heating up at stops is a fan related issue we need to get it in as soon as you can to check it. It does not have anything to do with previous service but we will look at it for you at no cost. You don't want to overheat it. As for your other concerns we warranty everything we do with the best warranty in the business but we don't make the parts. We have been getting a few bad tune-up parts lately so lets get it in and get it checked.

JOYCE S.
Toyota Tundra
05/25/2016
Satisfied
Thank you for making an effort to correct. We ended up needing another service this week and was very satisfied with my service. Thank you guys at Brown's

05/17/2016
not all work done
went in to have brakes checked and window wipers replaced. Dropped off at opening time and didn't hear back until late afternoon. They said brakes were fine which was great but didn't install the wipers. We have had very good results here for the most part but this was one where they dropped the ball
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 05/25/2016

The service manager dropped the ball on this one. Once he recovers from the verbal expression of my displeasure he will be more inclined to not let this happen again.

Sorry Miss Joyce

BILL S.
12/21/2015
Ford F350 Cold starting problem
Brought my truck in to fix a cold starting problem. Given it was a 2000 Ford F350 I thought the glow plugs were bad. They told me I could just replace the glow plugs and hope that fixes the problem or they could do a diagnostic to clearly determine what is wrong. The diagnostic would cost more. I agreed to do both. They repaired the truck and I brought it home after paying about $1K. The first attempt to start in cold weather the truck wouldn't start. I called and brought it back in once I was able to let it warm up. They said they would have it ready on a specific day. After not hearing anything I called. They said their person was ill. I get people being ill but a call would have been nice to tell me it wouldn't be ready when they said it would be. The second trip in did fix the problem and it has been starting. Don't understand why given I paid the extra to do a diagnostic the truck was not fixed correctly the first time.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 01/05/2016

Bill you brought your truck in and said do the glow plugs. We suggested that we test the glow plugs before we replace them to make sure they were bad. We did so they were bad and we replaced them retested them and all was fine. We did not test any other system for function because we were only approved to test the glow plug system. We did not test the fuel system or the computer system and it's sensors we were not approved for the extra charge time to do so. We did at no additional cost scan the ECM and wrote down all the fault codes we found and cleared the system. It started just fine here after the glow plug replacement.  You had multiple issues with your truck we had no history on the truck and only did what we were approved to do. As for the second time you brought it in if I would have been the service writer behind the desk I would not have charged you for the second diagnoses. This is not saying he did anything wrong because he knew at that time it was not going to be a glow plug issue but probably going to be fuel related. (totally different system). But you see we now have history. In checking the fuel system we found two issues one the fuel heater was not working properly. Also the engine temp sensor was showing the engine was warmed up before it was started for the first time. So a problem in both the fuel system and the computer system. We also found that with the new glow plugs working, your old glow plug relay could not take the current and melted a post off. I do have to say I am sorry you did not get called when Dave got sick and you should have so I would like to give you two free oil changes for your diesel truck. This will make up for the call you should have got and the second diag. fee.

SD
STEVE D.
Olympia, WA
Toyota Tercel
12/07/2015
Transmission seal
My review of my 12/2 visit is pending an expected a call back with information. My prior experiences were great. Last year, oil on driver floor-mat came from transmission, up through speedo cable and into car. I was told a tranny vent was clogged, so they cleaned it and seemed ok until now (1 year later). Oil came inside again dripping onto my foot. I was charged $70 for last week's visit and told vent was cleaned. However, when I drove away the oil came inside again. I called back, the man said the tranny is over pressurizing and there's nothing he could do, that I'll need a transmission shop. I called Transmedic in Gresham, OR (rebuilt tranny 2 yrs ago for $1500). He knew exactly what it was. He said the seal is bad where speedo enters transmission. The tranny is automatic. What's on my floor mat is not tranny fluid, not oil, but differential fluid warning me to be careful about the level. He said its easy to fix. I called Brown's again. He said the guy who worked on it woulnd't be in until Sunday. I asked if seal issue could be readdressed? If this is the case, I would hope most of my $70 would apply adding cost of parts/seal and alittle more install time. I live in Olympia so I have to arrange rides etc. I'll rate in the middle for now and followup when issue is resolved. The car's been parked since last week. I have referred you to others. Hope to hear from you soon.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 12/08/2015

Did you bring it back in on Sunday for us to look at?  Your transmission has two vents one for the transmission and one for the diff. case. There are no seals that keep fluid from going up the cable, there is a seal on the speedo gear that keeps fluid from leaking out of the diff. where the cable goes in. If the vents are clear and they can't keep up with the pressure made by the diff. then you have a transmission issue that we can not help you with and as Bob told you it would need to go to a transmission re-builder to repair. When it over-pressurizes it will push fluid up the cable assy and drip on the floor this is what the vents are for, but if they are clean and can't keep up then you have an internal issue. We were told by you that the engine and transmission were under warranty if we start doing other repairs to this transmission it will void your warranty. That is why we asked you to bring it back in on Sunday for us to take a second look at it. This is the same thing I tried explaining to you when you asked me on the 2nd, what keeps plugging up the vent? That being said you can bring it in on any Sunday through Wed. it will take about 35 to 40 min. to check the vents again. We have never in 20 years charged to take a second look at something we worked on.

TG
TIFFANY G.
Toyota Tundra
07/13/2015
Truck repair was great
Truck runs fantastic, the only negative comment would be I was quoted one price over the phone, when I showed up to pick my vehicle up, the price was over 20% higher than quoted.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 07/14/2015

Sorry Tiffany when you called in you asked for a rough quote for front brakes but did not know all the parts you needed. I should have taken the information looked up the parts and called you back. Instead I gave you what you asked for a rough quote, I said around 225 plus taxes and it turned out to be 259.00 plus taxes. This is my fault and the reason we normally get a name address and phone # look up all the parts and get back to you with an exact number. Problem is we are so busy sometimes it is not until the next day that we can get back to you. I was working on another car when you called and was trying to multi task and for me it never works out. Again sorry I will try to make it up to you in future repairs.

BW
BRETT W.
04/30/2015
Get someone else to be the "face" of your establishment
I would recommend finding someone else to be the main person interacting with customers. Not overly impressed at all with Bob's "skills" with people. He does seem to try to be nice, but still comes across as condescending. The work done seemed okay enough. Better than the first time in that department as they appeared to do what they said they did even if they didn't listen to what we were saying very well. Thus far, this shop is good enough we would go back if we needed to depending on what was needed to be done.
The staff a., owner from Emerald Car Care responded on 05/03/2015

Brett I have been working on this very problem for two years now. In the past 2 years we have had 5 new people behind the counter, their sole purpose is customer service. None of which have worked out for various reasons.  We have hired a new one now and he starts on Monday. Bob and I are getting long in the tooth we have to run this entire facility, order parts, shop for the best price for those parts, troubleshoot repairs and line out 12 employees. It can get pretty overwhelming some days. But this is no excuse for what you are describing. Please know this I am working hard at it looking for the right person. It is very hard these days to find a young, clean, honest, knowledgeable and on time employee in the auto repair industry. But we are working on it. This was a well written honest review by you and we apologize to you for that day.

DON C.
Mc Kenna, WA
Mercury Cougar
10/08/2014
Tune-Up
It was done correctly but the vehicle is still running rough. Will take back to the shop for determination.