Overall Rating 2.0/5Overall Rating 2.0/5rating 2.0rating 2.0rating 2.0

Crystal S.
07/22/2018
Beware!!
I brought my vehicle in for an oil change and for my tires to be rotated. On the way down the interstate later that day, my vehicle became unsafe. I was fearful as scary noises were coming from the front-was it my engine? And it was worsening. Thankfully, I got it to a place where someone inspected my tires and reported that BOTH front wheels were LOOSE! Several of the lug nuts were able to be moved by the bare hand! And when I called and asked for help, I got an apology and to call my roadside service. Pretty sure they have a tow truck. I’m so glad I didn’t get hurt! Oh my, beware, the quality piece to our vehicles can simply be life and death.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 07/24/2018

I called Crystal to apologize for our mistake in not torquing the lugnuts after only initially tightening them while the vehicle was still in the air after rotating the tires. Being busy that morning is no excuse and steps will be taken to help ensure this doesn't happen again.
I am thankful she responded to the issue promptly while it could be easily corrected.

IO
IGNATIUS O.
01/10/2018
camry repir
My Camry recently wouldn't start, and I had it towed. I was told the battery was low, and I had a new one put in. The next day, I stopped at Midtown to pick up some food before work, and it wouldn't start again. I had it towed to another garage, and they replaced the alternator. Now the car starts fine. The service was friendly, but the problem was incorrectly diagnosed. My wife and I take our cars here to have work done, and every other time the work was done correctly. We will still have work done here, just wanted you to know about this. Ig
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 01/11/2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I personally towed your car and replaced the battery. While testing the alternator and battery I had some question about the alternator working. After replacing the battery, I retested the alternator and it was putting out over 14 volts, which showed it was working. Perhaps it was failing and working only intermittently, but it was working when I tested it.
I appreciate your business and am glad to hear you will continue letting Gordie's take care of your vehicles. I left a message on your home phone. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Mellisa D.
Pontiac Grand Prix
09/28/2017 Category: Service
Mellisa said the staff told her that there was $800 and $900 worth of damage with the vehicle. They didn't know what they were talking about. They took money from her for looking at it, and it was just a fuse. They were not on the same page. She always does business with them, and this time they tried to rob her of a lot of money.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 10/04/2017

The car was towed in because it wouldn't start. After inspecting why the car would not start, we found the fuse for the fuel pump had not only failed but had melted that area of the fuse box. This is a common problem with GM cars and the fuse box needs to be replaced, which we recommended. We also found the car had a bad passenger rear wheel bearing and needed 2 tires. Melissa was charged one hour of diagnostic time and she declined the repairs recommended.

BP
Brady P.
08/02/2017 Category: Service
Brady said this business did not want to do the service and the staff was rude. Also, they did not call and apologize.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 08/05/2017

Our employee involved with Brady during his visit felt bad about how things went and took the initiative to call him shortly afterward to apologize before this review was posted. Brady accepted his apology and offered his own. I was personally under his vehicle while the conversation was had about our concern with being able to do the exhaust repair well. It ideally required some exhaust tools we didn't have and the conversation didn't go well. We declined to do the repair because we felt it would be in his best interest to have it done by another shop that had the right tools. I have since reached out to Brady to again apologize about the situation and he accepted my apology as well.
I value his business and am sorry we couldn't take care of his need this time.

Jon M.
07/21/2017
Lied To.
I pretty never write complaints, however this one pissed me off. I went to Gordies minnoco service station this morning on Huff St in Winona. I asked the guy at the front desk. I have a spare tire off a utility trailer that needs a valve stem, "what's it gonna cost me to have one put in?". "He said a buck & a half."He then looks at another guy & says "1.50 for a valve stem, right"? The other service guy says "yup". Thought that was cheap, probably a couple bucks labor, maybe. I know all ya do is squeeze the tire(don't have to take the tire off). knock off the old stem & pull another through ,and air it up. "My exact word were whats it gonna cost me?" I go to pay for it & the guys tells me $11.50 & tax. I can't even remember the exact total I'm so pissed. I said well, that's not what the guy told me he said $1.50 We'll yeah & $10.00 labor. I'm thinking For 4 mins worth the work"MY complaint is he simply lied when I said "whats it gonna cost me? I'm done with this service station & I will also find another place to fill by propane for my gas grill & smoker also.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 07/21/2017

I was nearby when you walked in and asked how much a valve stem was and my employee answered that it was $1.50. When you asked how much it would be total, my employee said that it depends, we'd have to take a look at it, that some trailer tires have a tube in them. You asked if we wanted to take a look at it. When he realized you had it with you, the two of you walked outside to get it. I did not hear any of your conversation after that, but after reading your review I shared it with the two guys that dealt with you during your visit. Both said they never gave you a total price prior to collecting after the work was done.
Looking back, we could have communicated more clearly. I apologize for our part in that. As to the $10.00 labor charge, I feel this is a fair charge for prompt service by a professional using a $10000 piece of equipment needed to do the job. We are known for our prompt attention to tire issues and are told by our customers that other shops sometimes can't even deal with a tire problem the same day. Your visit today was dealt with quickly.
If you still feel it is not fair, stop by on Monday and we can discuss it.

Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 07/24/2017

Hi Jon. Thanks for stopping by this morning so we could discuss this situation and better understand what happened. I hope you feel better about things, I know I do. Always good to part ways with a handshake. I appreciate your business.

HM
HERB M.
Subaru Legacy
01/06/2017
Break job
I got an estimate for a front break job a couple of months before I took the car in. The estimate was about $350 so I set aside $400. I found out that they needed to replace the calipers and it would be $750 instead and that the breaks were off and couldn't be put back on. This gave me no reasonable choice but to authorize the extra work. They said that each caliper would cost over $150 each. RockAuto has low end calipers listed for $36 (after core). I was greatly disappointed that the original estimate didn't include calipers. I also feel that the parts markup is too high.

TERESA B.
Subaru Legacy
12/27/2015
Home town mechanics let me down
Really dissapointed in service, last visit had oil changed and both belts changed, mechanic said belts were ready to break, i guess i would have expected them to notice that prior to breaking. They put the rubber molding cover on wrong and it fell down and drug for a time before noticing it. Also, belt was put on with correct tension so i had to take car back. Very disappointed service, will be finding a new service station. Too bad.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 12/30/2015

Hi Teresa. Thanks for taking time to discuss this situation with me yesterday. I think we came away with a better understanding  and it gave me a chance to tell you how much we care and to apologize for any miscommunication. Please use the free oil change certificate I'm mailing on your next visit.
I appreciate your business and look forward to regaining your faith in Gordie's!!

SO
Sydney O.
Chrysler Sebring
12/14/2015 Category: Service
Sydney said her overall experience with this business was not good. She took her vehicle to this business and since then, it has been breaking down.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 12/31/2015

I attempted to reach Sydney. I believe the car was here just once. We diagnosed an engine noise as coming from the alternator. No further repair was done, why I don't know. I'd like to speak with her to find what her car is doing and to see if we can help her with the problem.

Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 01/04/2016

I called her again and left a message offering to help in any way I can.

Darin D.
GMC Yukon XL
06/22/2015 Category: Service
Darin said his last incident with this business was interesting because they quoted him a certain labor rate, but then increased it by fifty percent when he brought his own parts in. He said he was not happy with them. He would not recommend them to others because of the reasons mentioned.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 06/24/2015

Hi Darin. I can understand your frustration with the upcharge in the labor for you bringing your own parts. We offer an 18000 mile/18 month part AND labor warranty on our work when our parts are installed. The upcharge is to incent our customers to take advantage of that protection. I can tell you we've seen many cases where customer's parts have failed and they are frustrated when they have no warranty on their investment.
We value your business and hope you were at least glad to get your Yukon repaired on a Sunday. (The actual repair date was June 14th) If you have any questions, feel free to call me.

TT
TREVOR T.
Volkswagen Passat
02/28/2015
Did oposite what was asked/explain
Told them two times now what type of oil I want in there... 5w-40 (used in full synthetic vw) told both times it would be put in my vehicle. Of course when I pick it up 5w-30 is in there. Usually not a big deal except my car is old and burns oil and I need to add oil every once in awhile and need to add some from the oil I already own. Don't tell someone what type of oil you will put in and then not do it, my receipt even says 40 but sticker says 30...
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 03/04/2015

Hi Trevor. As I said in my email, we would be happy to correct this error at no charge....just give me a call. This was an innocent mistake. Full synthetic Mobil 1 was put in your car, just 5W30 instead of the correct 5W40. I'm sorry about this.
Please give me a call so we can correct this. Thanks.

JEREMY S.
Nissan Murano
11/25/2014
Perhaps a more personal touch?
Thanks for asking. I felt I wasn't given much attention and quoted an excessive amount for my vehicle repairs at $1200 for 2 new front struts and sway bars?!! Actually, I only need one strut and my sway bars are fine. Real cost of $350+/-..

Keep it honest and a bit more friendly, I'd say. Make sure your techs are online with service and accurate diagnostics.

Make sure EVERYONE walking in the door feels completely taken care of during their time with you.

I know a few people that do that there....Gerry Kapsner and Adrian Lagace.

I've had oil changes and other repairs done by Gordies in the past. No problems there at all.

Again, thanks for asking.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 12/03/2014

Hi Jeremy. I asked our service writer, Bob, about your estimate. Although doing just one strut was discussed as an option, and the $350 number is accurate, his suggestion was to replace both struts since they work together. The sway bar links were quoted because they often won't come off the old struts without cutting them off due to rust issues. Yes, they are ok now but would probably have to be replaced if the struts were replaced. We just wanted to be up front about that.
I'm sorry if that wasn't clearly explained when your vehicle was here. We appreciate your business. Feel free to call me or Bob if you have any questions.

BRITTANY M.