Dave B.
11/12/2019 Category: Service
Dave said he went in for an oil change and when he returned he saw all four of his tires off his vehicle. He stated he thought this was strange, when all he came in for was an oil change. After driving off, he heard a squeak in his tires and then realized the lug nuts were not on properly, putting his family at risk.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 11/14/2019

Hi Dave. Thanks for taking time to speak with me tonight so I can better understand what happened. Although we normally torque lugnuts after having a wheel(s) off a vehicle, apparantly something went wrong during your visit. I sincerely apologize for whatever caused the problem and am thankful you responded to the issue so it could be corrected without further incident. Thanks for being understanding about this. I appreciate your business and your bringing this to my attention.

MIKE W.
Minnesota City, MN
Ford Taurus X
10/31/2019
No follow through, you do the bare minimum.
The fact that twice we had to bring our vehicle back in because it wasn't checked when you got it back. I don't care if the Ford Dealer did do the work, we brought our car to you. There is a reason we do not go to the Ford Dealer in town.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 10/31/2019

The problem simply wasn't known, not ignored. Perhaps we should have checked the cowl when we got it back from the dealer. When it was brought to our attention I personally took the necessary steps to have the problem corrected ASAP at the Ford dealer. Although the issue wasn't our fault, I took full responsibility for it being our problem, realizing I needed to see that it got corrected. I communicated with you along the way too, so you wouldn't feel more frustrated. You were owed that courtesy and respect.
I again apologize about what happened but did the best I could to make it right. I'm sorry for the frustration this may have caused you.

CR
Chris R.
Lewiston, MN
03/11/2019
Brake line
It is nice to know that Gordie's of Winona Minnesota price gouges their customers. They had to replace my right front brake caliper and charged me $150 for the caliper. I called the place they said they got it from and it was $69.95 for the caliper that they needed. I will not be coming back.!!! What a crock!

J F.
02/01/2019
Was aan old 14 year faithful customer until today: Botched Oil Change- Forgot to drain old oil before adding new almost setting my car on fire. They were very disrespectful
I have been taking my 3 family cars (mine, kid and wife's) for them for 14 years. They know my name. I went there with my brand new car to do the 6000 mile oil change. Turns out they forgot to drain the old oil and put the new in so the car had double the amount of oil: 2000 thousand miles later, thick smoke comes from under the hood. The pressure from all that oil had knocked off the oil filter and lots of oil was splashin all over my engine. Stopped at first mechanic who found the problem. Told me I was very lucky t this happened in town and in winter, or my brand new car could have bursted into flames. (I had in fact driven to Kansas during winter break, so lucky indeed) Went back to let them know, with full intention of not making a big deal since everybody makes mistakes and I had been taking my cars to them for 14 years and I considered them MY mechanics. I was expecting just an "I' am sorry" this happened and a free oil change since the previous one was good for only 1000 miles and almost destroyed my car. The mechanic there offered just to get rid of the excess oil and , although disappointed, I agreed so I can drive the car back home... then comes one of the old timers that know me... With relief, I explain the case to him and he, surprisingly, starts saying things, like "I do no't know, I do not know the answer to that, that is what you say etc, treating me like I was trying to scam them or something. . I was really disappointed and a little bit hurt, to be honest. So I took my car home and on the way saw Dahls Toyota Service... I took it in and they did a deep diagnosys of my engine and changed the oil and filter (turns out Gordies had put 5 20w synthetic instead of the 0 20 synthetic , which is not bad but not the best for my engine) They saw me so stressed about the status of my car that they also rotated my tires for free and gave me a complimentary car wash.In a nutshell: So long Gordie's, and Dahl Toyota, you got my business from now on
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 02/02/2019

I have to start by saying just how sorry I am about all this. I sincerely am and I had no idea any of this had happened. Yesterday was the sixth consecutive day of absolute craziness at Gordie's due to the cold. I went home at 11:00 pm Thursday night and last night too, just to give you an idea. That being said, it may be no excuse, but I was totally overwhelmed when you stopped by yesterday. Looking back, I wasn't a good listener. I did not mean to be disrespectful or uncaring. I didn't understand your question about the oil and was so frazzled and pressured about the business at hand at the time that I didn't take the time to ask the questions needed to give you a better understand your question and understand what all had happened. Sometimes we use a synthetic 0W20 in place of 5W20 because it covers the specs and I thought that might have been the case in your situation. Your demeanor was so calm that I totally misread the severity of the issue. I didn't catch on to you saying anything about the oil being overfilled, etc. Again, poor listening on my part.
I strive to do my best to serve our customers and I fell miserably short in how I handled you and your situation yesterday. Again, I am so sorry.
I'd like to speak with you on Monday, if you'd be available for a call. Even if you choose to not do business with us in the future, I want you to be heard and know that you're valued. Is there a good time to call you?

Sincerely,

Crystal S.
07/22/2018
Beware!!
I brought my vehicle in for an oil change and for my tires to be rotated. On the way down the interstate later that day, my vehicle became unsafe. I was fearful as scary noises were coming from the front-was it my engine? And it was worsening. Thankfully, I got it to a place where someone inspected my tires and reported that BOTH front wheels were LOOSE! Several of the lug nuts were able to be moved by the bare hand! And when I called and asked for help, I got an apology and to call my roadside service. Pretty sure they have a tow truck. I’m so glad I didn’t get hurt! Oh my, beware, the quality piece to our vehicles can simply be life and death.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 07/24/2018

I called Crystal to apologize for our mistake in not torquing the lugnuts after only initially tightening them while the vehicle was still in the air after rotating the tires. Being busy that morning is no excuse and steps will be taken to help ensure this doesn't happen again.
I am thankful she responded to the issue promptly while it could be easily corrected.

LG
Lance G.
Waterford, WI
12/05/2017
Overcharged terribly
My daughter who is a college student took her 2005 hyundai tucson in for a miss in the engine at 230 pm on 11/05 and by 430 pm they were calling telling us it was done 175 .00 in spark plug wires. Which of you go online and look up napa they are 100 dollars and we all know they get a better price than average Joe. 95 dollars to hook there computer up on car very pricey and 263 dollars in labor. Total bill for spark plug wires 481 dollars. Rip off
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 12/06/2017

Lance, let me start by saying I'm always troubled by an unhappy customer, although it's uncommon, but I'm caught off guard by your comments. Your daughter approved our diagnosis of the check engine light issue and the $94 cost to diagnose the problem. That was before 2:30 when we called you with the recommendation to replace the spark plug wires, which you approved for $481.35 total, as billed when we got done.
The labor charged for the plug wires replacement was for 1.8 hours, as per the industry flat rate. Our completion, and my call to let you know it was done at 4:45, was commensurate with that.
Your investment is backed by a nationwide warranty and the repair was done on a walk-in basis as a good faith effort to get the vehicle back to your daughter promptly and in good running condition. I feel we delivered as promised.
I sincerely value your business and if there is anything else I can address, please call me.

Mellisa D.
Pontiac Grand Prix
09/28/2017 Category: Service
Mellisa said the staff told her that there was $800 and $900 worth of damage with the vehicle. They didn't know what they were talking about. They took money from her for looking at it, and it was just a fuse. They were not on the same page. She always does business with them, and this time they tried to rob her of a lot of money.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 10/04/2017

The car was towed in because it wouldn't start. After inspecting why the car would not start, we found the fuse for the fuel pump had not only failed but had melted that area of the fuse box. This is a common problem with GM cars and the fuse box needs to be replaced, which we recommended. We also found the car had a bad passenger rear wheel bearing and needed 2 tires. Melissa was charged one hour of diagnostic time and she declined the repairs recommended.

BP
Brady P.
08/02/2017 Category: Service
Brady said this business did not want to do the service and the staff was rude. Also, they did not call and apologize.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 08/05/2017

Our employee involved with Brady during his visit felt bad about how things went and took the initiative to call him shortly afterward to apologize before this review was posted. Brady accepted his apology and offered his own. I was personally under his vehicle while the conversation was had about our concern with being able to do the exhaust repair well. It ideally required some exhaust tools we didn't have and the conversation didn't go well. We declined to do the repair because we felt it would be in his best interest to have it done by another shop that had the right tools. I have since reached out to Brady to again apologize about the situation and he accepted my apology as well.
I value his business and am sorry we couldn't take care of his need this time.

Jon M.
07/21/2017
Lied To.
I pretty never write complaints, however this one pissed me off. I went to Gordies minnoco service station this morning on Huff St in Winona. I asked the guy at the front desk. I have a spare tire off a utility trailer that needs a valve stem, "what's it gonna cost me to have one put in?". "He said a buck & a half."He then looks at another guy & says "1.50 for a valve stem, right"? The other service guy says "yup". Thought that was cheap, probably a couple bucks labor, maybe. I know all ya do is squeeze the tire(don't have to take the tire off). knock off the old stem & pull another through ,and air it up. "My exact word were whats it gonna cost me?" I go to pay for it & the guys tells me $11.50 & tax. I can't even remember the exact total I'm so pissed. I said well, that's not what the guy told me he said $1.50 We'll yeah & $10.00 labor. I'm thinking For 4 mins worth the work"MY complaint is he simply lied when I said "whats it gonna cost me? I'm done with this service station & I will also find another place to fill by propane for my gas grill & smoker also.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 07/21/2017

I was nearby when you walked in and asked how much a valve stem was and my employee answered that it was $1.50. When you asked how much it would be total, my employee said that it depends, we'd have to take a look at it, that some trailer tires have a tube in them. You asked if we wanted to take a look at it. When he realized you had it with you, the two of you walked outside to get it. I did not hear any of your conversation after that, but after reading your review I shared it with the two guys that dealt with you during your visit. Both said they never gave you a total price prior to collecting after the work was done.
Looking back, we could have communicated more clearly. I apologize for our part in that. As to the $10.00 labor charge, I feel this is a fair charge for prompt service by a professional using a $10000 piece of equipment needed to do the job. We are known for our prompt attention to tire issues and are told by our customers that other shops sometimes can't even deal with a tire problem the same day. Your visit today was dealt with quickly.
If you still feel it is not fair, stop by on Monday and we can discuss it.

Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 07/24/2017

Hi Jon. Thanks for stopping by this morning so we could discuss this situation and better understand what happened. I hope you feel better about things, I know I do. Always good to part ways with a handshake. I appreciate your business.

SA
Shane A.
Fountain City, WI
Ford Freestyle
03/17/2017 Category: Service
Shane said the service was good but it was too expensive. He will look around before returning to them. The repair was done quickly, but he said he felt it was way too expensive for the amount of time they had the vehicle.

BT
Brian T.
La Crescent, MN
Chrysler 200
01/24/2017 Category: Service
Spoke with Brea. She said she took her vehicle to the business to replace a headlight, she was overcharged and they tried to charge her an extra $30 for the labor. They did not call or let her know when her vehicle was ready. She called them to see if her vehicle was ready and her vehicle had been ready for 3 hours.

HM
HERB M.
01/06/2017
Break job
I got an estimate for a front break job a couple of months before I took the car in. The estimate was about $350 so I set aside $400. I found out that they needed to replace the calipers and it would be $750 instead and that the breaks were off and couldn't be put back on. This gave me no reasonable choice but to authorize the extra work. They said that each caliper would cost over $150 each. RockAuto has low end calipers listed for $36 (after core). I was greatly disappointed that the original estimate didn't include calipers. I also feel that the parts markup is too high.

TERESA B.
12/27/2015
Home town mechanics let me down
Really dissapointed in service, last visit had oil changed and both belts changed, mechanic said belts were ready to break, i guess i would have expected them to notice that prior to breaking. They put the rubber molding cover on wrong and it fell down and drug for a time before noticing it. Also, belt was put on with correct tension so i had to take car back. Very disappointed service, will be finding a new service station. Too bad.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 12/30/2015

Hi Teresa. Thanks for taking time to discuss this situation with me yesterday. I think we came away with a better understanding  and it gave me a chance to tell you how much we care and to apologize for any miscommunication. Please use the free oil change certificate I'm mailing on your next visit.
I appreciate your business and look forward to regaining your faith in Gordie's!!

SO
Sydney O.
Chrysler Sebring
12/14/2015 Category: Service
Sydney said her overall experience with this business was not good. She took her vehicle to this business and since then, it has been breaking down.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 12/31/2015

I attempted to reach Sydney. I believe the car was here just once. We diagnosed an engine noise as coming from the alternator. No further repair was done, why I don't know. I'd like to speak with her to find what her car is doing and to see if we can help her with the problem.

Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 01/04/2016

I called her again and left a message offering to help in any way I can.

Joy F.
10/18/2015 Category: Service
Joy said the business told her if she started having issues with the steering wheel being tight, they would adjust it for her. Shortly after she left, she was having issues with it and when she took it back, they would not fix it for her.
Jeff P., Owner from Gordie's Towing & Repair responded on 10/27/2015

I have attempted to reach Joy several times to discuss the issue. She has not responded. I suspect the concern was a belt adjustment, which we would have gladly done for her. I think there was a communication breakdown somehow.