Overall Rating 2.0/5Overall Rating 2.0/5rating 2.0rating 2.0rating 2.0

DENNIS L.
Kia Sportage
03/16/2019
General Repair
Import Authority has really nice people.

But I have to say after almost $1000. repair that codes come up that were never there before because I have a diagnostic checker. When these codes appeared they said another $1000 to replace other items. Yet why did they not check the other codes after and before repair. ?? The newer codes were there immediately after repair so why did they not check them. After researching these codes I found out it was probably an an erroneous reading that more or less were caused by a vacuum leak somewhere which could be caused by their actual repair and really their extra $1000 or more for this additional repair was more than likely not at all necessary. So, although nice people I will not return for any service.
Import A. from Import Authority responded on 04/09/2019

Hello Dennis.... Thank you for starting your review with a compliment.  We do try to be nice to our customers and let them know we appreciate them!
We were sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with the repairs we made to your Kia Sportage.  I would like to address the main concerns you mentioned - the codes that appeared after our work, and the estimate of further repairs that may be needed.
When you first came in, your car was running rough and you diagnosed that it needed spark plugs and ignition wires.  That was the work you requested and we did that job for you at a cost of $425.  After that work was completed, the car continued to misfire and run rough, and our technician suspected that it may have some blockage in the catalytic converter.  He disconnected the rear cat conv and the performance improved immediately, so we contacted you to say that the rear cat conv needed to be replaced.  The additional cost was $462 and you gave us the OK.

Often, when a car is running poorly, as yours was, a misfire can cover up problems with the catalytic converter and the computer won't display a code.  Once the misfire is eliminated, the code may now show.  This may be the reason that you were not recieving any codes while your car was running rough.
Your cat conv is in three parts.  We replaced only the last section, and the performance improved.  But it was also very likely that the first and/or second sections were also plugged up to some degree, so when your car displayed a cat conv code, we gave you the price to replace those two sections.
You did not mention that your car was still running poorly, so we hope we have fixed that problem.
We do our best to only do work that is needed to make a repair.  If you get a second opinion about the need for further catalytic converter work, we will be here if you need us.
I hope this answers some of your concerns.  Please call us if you have further questions.
Thank you!

KH
KEITH H.
07/04/2018
1st Time Customer...
I arrived at your shop and found a friendly and professional crew. Told them I had an engine light and that the engine started missing at 2000 rpm. You sussed out the engine light cleaning the mass air flow sensor and gave it back to me. As I drove away the truck still was still missing at 2000 rpm. Drove it that way all weekend. The following Monday I took it to a a more convenient to me shop and had it tuned up, plugs, wires, coil., air filter, oil change...gotta say it runs great now. You folks missed an opportunity to actually fix my truck and cost me another day of shop shuffling to and from work... Thanks. You might have actually driven the truck or checked the plugs after fixing the engine light issue to make sure it was running properly. You could have been the hero, but you missed the mark on this one.
Import A. from Import Authority responded on 07/12/2018

Thanks for your review, Keith. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your first visit. Whenever addressing a drivability concern, the first priority is to tackle anything that may be causing the check engine light to illuminate. Upon finding a code for a lean fuel trim condition (which can certainly cause hesitations/poor performance, etc.) we cleaned your very dirty mass air flow sensor, which seemed to bring the fuel trims back in line. As your review states, we wish we had driven the truck more after this since our one test drive yielded no malfunctions. We also wish you had informed us that you were still experiencing issues, as we take great care to stand behind our work . We would have done everything we could to make sure you were happy and hope that you will give us the opportunity to make it up to you in the future.

WP
Will P.
12/13/2017
Always honest, highly competent
There's a good reason why this is the most highly- rated auto repair facility in town.

12/13/2017
Great mechanics, high prices
These guys have always done good work, but they just broke it off in my ......, charging 500 bucks for something that should have been about 300, tops, so I won't be going back. It's a shame. Changed my brake pads, back and front, with no work necessary on rotors, and they bolted on a bumper guard, which definitely took less than an hour. So their service rate is $ 200 an hour? Ouch.
Import A. from Import Authority responded on 12/13/2017

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, Will. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our prices. Your brake jobs did include resurfacing all your rotors. We do this as standard practice to avoid any noise or shaking while braking. We also use factory original equipment (in this case, Nissan) brake pads whenever feasible It was in this case. That means your brake jobs were $179.50 + tax each for front and rear. After calling around, we found that the same job using the same parts would cost about $241 + tax at a competitor. As for your aftermarket bumper guard, we took time to cut your splash shields as little as possible to recieve the brackets. We spent more than an hour installing it, but charged you for 1 hour at $89.50. We certainly could have given you cheaper options on this work had you voiced your displeasure at the time we called you with a total estimate, but you approved it without hesitation, so we performed the work. We are even more sorry to lose you as a customer after so many years, but wish you luck in finding a shop that can give you the quality work you deserve at the cheap prices you want to pay.

AF
ANGELA F.
10/14/2016
Really wanted to like this place but...
Waited 2.5 hours for a simple issue. Waiting room smells like mildew and urine. Fair price, very friendly people.
Import A. from Import Authority responded on 10/18/2016

Thanks for the feedback, Angela. We are so sorry you had a bad experience here. When you called early that morning we should have told you that we normally take time to eat around noon. Since you also mentioned waiting, we should have also warned you about our waiting room. Hurricane Hermine decided to create a leak in our wall adjacent to the waiting room and the carpet gets wet for every hard rain ever since. Steps are being made to repair it, but I know that does nothing to help the experience you had. We are glad that you didn't need the brake job that was suspected and that you were happy with the price. We hope you decide to give us another try in the future when our accomodiations have improved.