Overall Rating 2.5/5Overall Rating 2.5/5rating 2.5rating 2.5rating 2.5

TW
TRACY W.
10/11/2019
Snow Tire install, rotation and oil change
I placed a review based on my last visit and being concerned about snow tires that I purchased last season. I asked the owner of the shop why they may be going bad as they were one season in and new as of last year. He asked me to come by this week. I showed up just as the shop was opening and before I could check in, the owner was outside looking at them himself. He told me that they were fine. Made suggestions for storing them in the off season and put my mind at ease. This is why I have been a customer for years! THANK YOU!

10/11/2019
Snow Tire install, rotation and oil change
I was able to get an appointment right away. The staff was courteous and my appointment was efficient. The one drawback is I purchased brand new Cooper studded snow tires last year and they were expensive. I have only used them for one season and don't do a lot of driving in general (approx. 75 miles a week) and was told that my tires would not get more than another season of drive time in! When I purchased them I was told I would get approx. 3 seasons out of them which is why I took the advice to make the purchase. I don't know whether they are defective or I was taken advantage of but it did not sit well with me at all. This is the first time I have had an issue with Notch Road. I hope to find some resolve.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 10/17/2019

I think there is a miscommunication here, we will fallow up with our customer

RE
RAY E.
10/05/2018
"Not Thorough"
Called and asked if we could remedy the situation and told that they would contact me when the owner returned.
That was at least two weeks ago.

10/05/2018
"Not Thorough"
Quote from the owner. "The guy who worked on your truck does not work here anymore"
I asked "Did you have a problem with him?"
He replied, "yes, he was not thorough"

First brought in vehicle just to have it checked out and when I purchased the tuck I was aware that it may need transmission.
Also was interested in inspection.
Quotes were given for transmission and finally told that ball joint needed for inspection.
Previous service log provided showed new ball joint 9/2017.
Ball joint installed. Invoice indicated "DOES NOT include alignment" ($313.49) Wife picked up vehicle. Steering was now out of whack. When I drove it I thought maybe it needs alignment.
Brought vehicle back in for alignment($92.85)
Steering still out of whack. Returned for check out.
Now told vehicle needs steering rack, struts and springs.... okay it has 165000 miles. Installed new steering rack, struts, springs. ($1147.23).
Picked up vehicle, drove and heard loud single prop airplane sound. I though, maybe the tires are just wearing were they had not before.
After the sound was consistent I brought vehicle back in.
This is the point at which the owner indicated "the service tech that worked on your vehicle does not work here anymore"
He assured me that he would personally check out the the sound.
he thought is was coming from the rear and I thought it was coming from the front.
Told that vehicle needed Wavy washer in rear which could only be obtained through Ford.
Okay... put in the wavy washer ($735.57).
When I picked up vehicle I was told by tech that "owner drove vehicle and rear noise is gone but there is still noise in front, likely needs wheel bearing"
When I drove I noted that it was the same sound I had originally heard after service for rack,struts.spring.
Returned to shop and asked if they would remedy by installing wheel bearing.
Owner on vactation all week but
They said yes. I would purchase bearing and they would install (no labor). Estimate $350
Purchased bearing at Napa ($175). Told by tech that I needed to purchase bearing through them.

Not a fireman or state police man or rescue team member or town official.
Likely, losing my business will not be an issue.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 10/11/2018

Ray, the truck you purchased from an auction had 165,000 miles on it, and was previously owned by a lumber company. It was clear it hadn't been maintained or serviced. We were very straight forward with you, when you came in for an inspection. We diagnosed the transmission noise you were hearing, and you DECLINED the repair. We replaced a ball joint on the right front lower, this did not include the alignment due to a ball joint being installed on the lower control arm is less likely to change any alignment adjustments. You came back with a steering concern and we found the electronic steering rack had an internal issue with one of the electric motors. We found one front coil spring broken at the very top which could have happened at anytime. Again YOU did not want to spend much money, so we found you a used electronic steering rack, and recommended both front struts and coil springs be replaced. We did the repairs and the truck was good to go, then u return with a humming noise that was never mentioned from the beginning. I personally checked out the noise, with my other empoyees and the wheel bearings were not loose but when we would drive the vehicle on the lift (we call it air driving) we could hear noises coming from every where. No loose wheel bearings, but possibly a left front wheel bearing making noise, but something from the rear end was making a terrible noise. Advised you that we would need to disassemble the rear end to see what’s going on, you agreed and we took it apart finding a wave plate washer for the side carrier bearings broken and floating around. The rear end housing, got you a price and did the repair. Now with my experience if I had ignored the noise in the rear end it would have cost you thousands of dollars when that rear end blew up due to the broken wave plate washer. This repair in its self was a priority, the wheel bearing yes I acknowledged the noise but prioritize the repairs needed. I think it is unfair for the review you have given us, I understand your frustration but you have to understand you bought a used truck from a auction with multiple problems and noises and high mileage, wanting to address every single noise is very hard to do and can be very expensive. My tech did call me about the wheel bearing and I agreed to install one at no charge , if you paid for the bearing, as far as you purchasing the bearing through us it for two reasons, one is quality of the product and two is the warranty of the part and the repair, yes anyone can walk into a parts store and purchase there own part, but I’ll have to tell you $175 for a wheel bearing is a low grade quality bearing with no warranty. If that’s the type of repair you want, that’s fine with me, but I’m all about quality of the parts and the warranty.

PR
Pat R.
03/23/2015 Category: Service
Pat said this business did not do anything to resolve his initial dissatisfaction, and he still feels the same way about them. He said they contacted him on the telephone, but did not do anything meaningful.

03/23/2015 Category: Service
Pat said that he did not have a very good experience and so he would not recommend this business.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 04/01/2015

I was made aware this low score was made due to a failed Vermont state inspection. Vehicle came to our shop for a inspection and the customer was advised the left front wheel bearing was loose and the right front headlight was cracked, customer was given an estimate for these repairs because they do not pass Vermont state inspection. I contacted the customer after receiving this low score and was told they had taken it to the Toyota dealership and Toyota put an inspection sticker on it without repairing the wheel bearing or the headlight, customer stated the dealer has always been really strict on inspections and feels we where trying to rip him off with unnecessary repairs. I tried to explain what Toyota did was wrong and unprofessional and driving with a loose wheel bearing puts everyone on the road at risk! We are very strict on fallowing the Vermont state inspection rules and I will be filing a formal complaint with DMV!

LH
Lee H.
07/30/2012 Category: Service
Lee said they did repair his flat tire to his satisfaction.

07/30/2012 Category: Service
Lee said he was referred to this business by Smuggler's Notch to have a flat tire fixed and he arrived at this business minutes before noon. He said he was met by Dan, who told him he was unable to look at the tire until 1:30 pm when lunch was over, but he could lean the tire against the side of the building and he would look at it then. He said he felt like he was imposing upon this business and Dan, even though he was the customer in need. When he returned to retrieve the tire Dan had fixed it and asked if he wanted it reinstalled on the vehicle. He said he put all the accessories and tools from the back of the vehicle in their proper place, charged a fair price, and did a great job. He said the first impression was not warm or helpful, but the customer service was redeemed when he returned. He would recommend this business because Dan was honest and he is good at what he does.
Dan W. from Notch Road Auto Repair responded on 08/04/2012
Lee, I guess I should apologize for your first impression of my business and I appreciate your honesty, but I did ask you that day if you had time to leave the tire and I would look at it after lunch and you replied sure I'm not leaving town till tomorow . What I don't think you realize is that for employees I have my self as the owner/operator and one part time employee, I was the only one at the shop that day and had other customers to deal with but I did fit you in as soon as I could. I have always helped anyone staying at smugglers notch and we do go the extra mile, like putting the spare tire and all it's tools back in place in the vehicle. I do believe I was being fair considering I did take the job on the fly ontop of all other appointments as I have always done for flat tire repairs but their are just somedays I have to work them into my schedule. I'm glad I redeemed myself but I do feel I was being warm and helpful considering the circumstances. Dan

EW
Eugene W.
Chevrolet Cobalt
12/10/2019 Category: Service
Eugene said they did a good job.

EC
Emily C.
Boston, MA
Chevrolet Cruze
12/10/2019 Category: Service
Emily said they were awesome. They were super fast and helpful. No complaints.

AJ
Andrew J.
12/07/2019 Category: Service
Andrew said this business was great.

NM
NANCY M.
11/27/2019
Overall service
Convenience, knowledgeable, reasonable, clean facility

CV
Chris V.
Subaru Impreza Sedan
11/12/2019 Category: Service
Chris said the business's staff is good, efficient, friendly.

JAMES B.
Hyde Park, VT
11/10/2019
Reliable
We can always count on Dan and his crew

AW
ANNE W.
11/08/2019
Notch Road Auto Review
I find the service prompt, courteous and friendly. They are also willing to help out when there's an unexpected situation. They put my mind at ease when a light on the dashboard appears!

TRACY M.
Johnson, VT
11/08/2019
Tires
Great service. Waited too long to get snow tires but they got me in last minute and got it done.

KJ
KRISTEN J.
11/07/2019
Super Thorough. Friendly Staff.
I have been bringing my car here for about two years now and they never disappoint. The staff is nice and will reach out if they notice something wrong. I completely trust their work and recommendations. Great place overall!

Hyde Park, VT
Ram 1500
11/05/2019
#1 auto repair shop in the area!
As always the crew at Notch Road Auto did An outstanding job. They fit us in last minute and had us in and out in a timely manner. I would highly recommend them for any of your auto repair needs.

Toyota Tundra 4WD Truck
11/05/2019
Trustworthy service
Notch Road Auto Repair has provided outstanding service for my families auto needs.
They always are quick in scheduling us in, then calling to let us know when they are done.
I never feel there are unknown surprises.
We trust them to insure our vehicles are safe.

CT
Christine T.
11/05/2019 Category: Service
Christine said this business does good work.

CLYDE B.

ERIC B.
Waterville, VT
Subaru Legacy
10/30/2019
Fast, friendly and professional as always
This visit was as good as every other visit. Consistently great service

BL
Bill L.
Underhill, VT
10/28/2019
These guys are the best
From the the initial phone contact, to the drop off/ pick up, to the actual work, their service was great. Tyler, Derek, and Dan were very professional, gave patient and thorough explanations, and did excellent work. I highly recommend this shop.

RT
ROBERT T.
GMC Yukon
10/24/2019
Super auto repair service in Jeffersonville
The staff is extremely professional and does quality work.
Highly recommended