Jim W.
Oldsmobile Intrigue
07/15/2014 Category: Service
Jim said this business charged him $187 to diagnose the problem with his air conditioner. They told him it would cost $2,000 to fix it. He telephoned Napa and they told him a new compressor cost $400 or a little less for a rebuilt one. They told him it would be 5 hours labor, and $1,500 for labor was way out of line. The staff was polite, nice, and courteous. He will not use them again in the future. He would not recommend them due to the reasons already stated.
Dave B., Owner from The Muffler Shop responded on 07/28/2014

Jim, as always when information about our repair shop goes out over the web we would like everyone to hear both sides of the story.

When you first brought in your 2000 Oldsmobile on May 6, 2014, your A/C system was completely empty. We charged your system with nitrogen and found no visible leaks. Jerry’s recommendations were: “Charge system and add florescent dye so any traceable leaks could be found if the system stopped working, return in two weeks for dye test”. You agreed and we performed the service. That is what we charged you $187.25 for, labor, Freon and florescent dye. You left very happy with you’re A/C system blowing 40 degree air from the vents.

When you returned nine weeks later with you’re A/C not working again, we performed the UV Light test and found signs of leakage from the compressor. The estimate Jerry gave you to repair your system included much more than just a compressor from NAPA. We would have replaced all related parts affected by the failure of your compressor running low on refrigerant and oil; this is the only way we can stand behind the system with a 30,000 mile/30 month nationwide warranty.

If you had wanted just a compressor replaced we could have recommended many shops that will do just that. If a compressor only is replaced, you will be having A/C problems in the near future if you still own your vehicle.

Jim, if your system had kept working like a lot of systems do when we perform this service. You would be telling everyone how happy you were with us and that it only cost $187.25 to repair your fourteen year old A/C system. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding about your bill and the estimate Jerry gave you.

Thank you for your kind words about how polite, nice and courteous our staff was. Those are the only things we can control. Price is controlled by the world in which we all live. Thank you very much for letting everyone hear both sides of the story and as always I am available if you have any questions.

Respectfully,

Dave Beason

RA
Richard A.
08/19/2013
Tie rod replacement
My friends told me I paid to much so I went on a web site called auto md and said the fair price should have been around 700-750
Dave B., Owner from The Muffler Shop responded on 08/19/2013

Richard,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

After reviewing the work order I noticed that the service writer has billed labor for inner and outer tie rod ends. When doing all four tie rod ends at once the labor should have only been billed out for the inner tie rods. Your total bill including alignment and tax should have been $710.98. Give me a call so we can arrange how you would like your credit of $115.63 arranged. Thank you, Dave B.

John S.
Nissan Sentra
06/29/2013 Category: Service
John said this business did not fix his PCM module problem and he had to take his vehicle to the dealer.
Dave B., Owner from The Muffler Shop responded on 07/08/2013
John, Thank you for still recommending us to others. I am sorry we were not being able to re-flash you PCM module. I hope the dealership we recommended was able to take care of your vehicle.