Sun Automotive - Springfield

CP
Caitlin P.
10/30/2016
Mediocre customer service.
I had my car in for a new battery and a diagnostic test. I had also asked to have an oil change done. The oil change was not done, but the diagnostic showed that a new battery was needed, and a new battery was then provided. It was also noted that the oil level in my engine was low, but no oil was added to rectify the issue. Overall I am unhappy with the services rendered on 10/27
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 10/31/2016

The missed request for the Oil Change was completely our responsibility and i personally would like to apologize for the oversight. This should have not happened and certainly does not meet our own expectations for our customer. Sun Automotive would like to comp the next Oil Change and will offer to pick up and drop off the vehicle. We have sent the appropriate coupon for the to take place and want to thank our customer for the time out of there day for the honest input.

Craig Noel
General Manager.

Colin B.
10/28/2016
They charge full price, but they do not do a full job.
I have been a loyal customer of Sun Automotive, Springfield for the better part of a decade. My first experience, auto body work, was very positive. However subsequent experiences have been quite negative. A couple of years ago I went in to get a couple of things fixed, and I was told it would be $1000s of dollars to fix everything that was wrong with it, so I told them to start with what I could afford at the time, the belts and the parking break. When they ordered the wrong part for the parking break, they wired it to the frame to take up the slack instead of ordering the proper part, a fix that only lasted a couple of weeks. When I brought it back and asked them to fix it for real, I had to pay for the part (what happened to that 3 year warranty?); shortly after, I discovered the reason the parking break broke in the first place was due to another cable issue. I understand how something like that might be overlooked, but that’s why I took it to a professional who should be able to identify and fix the problem. After being over $200 invested into it, I still do not have a functional parking break.
One more story: the steering on this vehicle has not been working properly for a while. They gave me an estimate of about $1000 to replace the steering gear box. So this vehicle has been parked for two years, because the cost of repair was out of the budget. Seeing a need for it in the near future, I took a closer look at the steering and discovered that fluid was shooting out of the high pressure hose, a $20 fix, so I attempted to replace it myself. Unable to remove the nut, I again took it to Sun Automotive so they could replace it. Now the steering works great, but they charged me for 48 minutes of labor ($85) and didn’t even put the splash guards back in place, and they took the fasteners away so I can’t even put them in place until I find replacements. Now I’m no expert, but having supplied them with all the parts and steering fluid, there is no way it took them 48 minutes to replace a single hose and bleed the system, and yet they couldn’t even bother to put the splash guard back.
I understand that this vehicle is over 15 years old, but my family has been maintaining it to the best of our ability for 10 years and I want to keep it operational. An even if its old and junky, I feel it is important that if you pay full price for a professional auto shop to fix something, that they treat it like a brand new vehicle and fix it right the first time. I also think quoting the steering gear box replacement would be $1000 when it ended up being a $20 replacement hose says something about their professionalism.

MA
Merle A.
Eugene, OR
GMC Pickup
08/06/2016 Category: Service
Merle said he had a lot of problems with the business. It took sixteen hours, instead of four. He said he would not recommend this business because the mechanics did not know what they were doing. Otherwise, they were great.
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 08/08/2016

Sun Automotive would like to respond  to the situation involving Merle's vehicle. This incident was not related to the technicians ability but was an issue procuring the correct parts for the 1974 vehicle. Sun Automotive did have the vehicle for an extended period of time and for that we do apologize.

Joe F.
GMC Pickup
10/15/2013
Callbacks
My last visit was your second attempt to fix the AC. It's still leaking coolant and does not blow cold air. More concerning to me is the recent front brake repair which included new discs. 2,000 miles later they started grabbing and I had to bring it back. Now I have a pickup with 2,000+ miles on the brakes and the discs have been turned once. This level of service is not acceptable.
Craig N., Owner/Operator from Sun Automotive - Springfield responded on 02/06/2014

The Team at Sun Automotive imeadiatly contacted Joe Felton to try and resolve the issue regarding the GMC A/C concern. We offered to pick the vehicle up and at no charge, attempt to find a very slow leak in the A/C sytsem. After 24 hours with a special Dye, the leak was found which turned out to be difficult to detect. The leak also produced a green tint that was thought to be coolant but was not. The noise was found and also found not to be related to the front brakes. Sun Automotive Re-delivered the vehicle to Mr. Felton again at no charge and he was very pleased. We will attempt to always do the right thing by our customers as they are the most important to the success of our business.
Craig Noel