Overall Rating 1.0/5rating 1.0rating 1.0rating 1.0rating 1.0

LUCAS K.
Virginia, MN
Volkswagen Golf
11/06/2019 Category: Service
They just take your money...
2011 Golf TDI: Had an airbag light go off (warranty on recall) and passenger side heat didn’t work. The charged me $130 dollars and told me the airbag was just a reset, and I need a new heater core. I asked about codes, how they knew it was the core, and how much. I got my receipt with $900 circled on it, no explanation, no estimate paperwork on itemized materials and hours, just $900 with a circle and “I don’t know that’s what they said” as an explanation. I bought the part for $125 and coolant for $20. With YouTube and 2 jack stands in a cold garage it took me 5-6 hours, with minor experience. With a car lift, proper tools, and experience it would have taken 2 hours, so it looks like VW of Duluth charges about $375 an hour, or just tries to rip people off.
I know I got ripped off, I was charged $130 to reset a light for airbag (that was a recall) that wasn’t fixed right in the first place. Told me it was for running diagnostics, which they said was free when I made the appointment. Guess they needed to pay for that remodel through our pocket.

CJ
Craig J.
Minneapolis, MN
09/29/2019
Poor Service, Hidden Issues, and Rude Behavior
My experience at this dealership was terrible. I purchased a Jetta tdi from this dealership. They weren't up front about the many issues the car had. I found the passenger side mirror cove was missing right away but there was more issues to come. I talked with them about the mirror and the check engine light the same day as I purchased the car. They told me they didn't have the part to replace the mirror and they were going to look into the check engine light. I left the car at the dealer ship and ran some errands. They called me back saying the checked the fluids and battery and the check engine light had gone off. I returned to pick up my car and we discussed the mirror. I was told that I would receive a call later about scheduling the mirror cover repair.As I was driving home the check engine light came back on which meant that they did the unhook the battery cable trick to reset the check engine light. Also noticed that the ignition was very difficult to turn. I called the dealership the next day but the sales rep I bought my car from wasn't there. I left a message to have him call me back as possible to discuss these issues. I didn't hear any thing for the next 3 days, I then received a email from the manager asking about for me to give them reviews on websites including this one. I emailed the manager back stating I felt I was being ignored until the 5 day, 500 mile return policy was up. With the threat of me returning the car I got a response the next day. I talked with the sales rep that sold me the car and we discussed the mirror cover and ignition problems. While we were talking about the cover I was asked if I really need it. I responded that it is need to protect the wiring from the elements. We eventually set a date for the next week to have the mirror cover replaced and the ignition looked at and fixed. The day for the repairs came and when I got to the dealership I reconfirmed that my mirror cover was being replaced and my ignition was going to be fixed with the sales rep. He assured me they would. I then was brought to the repair garage and met with the repair rep. I again reconfirmed that both issues are going to be taken care of. I then waited in the lobby for 3 hours for the repairs to be done. I was brought back into the garage and I asked yet again that both the mirror and the ignition were repaired. I was told they both were and I finished up the paper work and was getting ready to leave. Before I could even could turn my car around to leave the lot the Repair rep stopped me. She told me not only did they not repair my ignition they didn't have the part and the garage was booked for the next 3 months. I parked my car and marched back in. I then waited 10 minutes to speak with the Sales rep. I explained what I was just told by the Service rep and asked the Sales rep how are we going to fix this. He went quite for a bit and then said he was going to talk with the garage and his manager. I waited for another 10 minutes. The Sales rep came back and confirmed what the Service rep said and then told me his manager was out to lunch. He asked me if he could call me when the manager got back. I told him that I would wait until the manager got back. Another moment of silence. Then the Sales rep deiced to call his manager. The Sales rep explained everything that just occurred. The sales rep then told me that they would for sure be repairing my ignition but would need some time to order the part and schedule a date. I was told I would be called with a date soon. I returned home and proceeded to wait for five days. No call or emails of any kind. I called the dealership and yet again left my name and number. I was told the sales rep was on his day off. I waited another 3 days still nothing. I tried calling again and was told the sales rep was with a customer. Again I left my name and number. After not receiving any call I emailed the Manager again. I didn't get an email back. At this point it had almost been a month from the time of purchase and I was feed up. I had enough of waiting. So I drove the car back to the dealership. It just so happened that the Manager was outside when I arrived. As I was walking up to him he asked me how it was going, I told him not good. I explained how I took time off of work to get my car fixed after being promised both issues would be. I also told him that I have called multiple times and sent email and haven't got any response. At this time the manager said "I didn't know I had to call you everyday with an update." I almost lost it but I told him I didn't want an update everyday and that I had waited over 2 weeks without any response at all. The manager then asked to see my keys and tried my cars ignition out for himself. I believe he was just trying to prove that it was my error and not the car, After a couple minutes of him trying he admitted that the ignition was broken to the point that at anytime it could fail and make it impossible to start the car. The Manager then went in and talked with the Sales and Service reps. The Sales rep then came and talked with me. He said that the ignition had just came in today and they were going to fix my car right away. My family owned an auto parts store and I know how long it takes to get parts delivered. The popularity of the Jetta means most parts warehouse in the Twin Cities will have the ignition on stock, so at most it would take 3 days for the part to be delivered. But I kept my moth shut because my car was being fixed. At this time I was more then annoyed with the rude comment and behavior of the Manager and the lies they were trying to sell me I told them I was going to get some lunch and the could call me when my car was finished. An hour later I received a phone call saying my car had been repaired. Which was amazing since it took them 3 hour to put on a mirror cover. I picked up my car and signed the paper work.

TN
Ted N.
TX
09/18/2019 Category: Service
Ted said his experience was terrible. He said this is the worst dealership he has ever dealt with. He said he had to threaten to go to the attorney general to get them to do work on a certified preowned vehicle. He said they lied to him and they had his vehicle for a week but never called to tell him it was ready. He said he bought a certified pre owned vehicle but the brakes were making squealing noises and it took them 2.5 months to replace them. They had to replace the windshield wipers, it was missing two head-rests, there is a part on the exterior of the vehicle that the paperwork says is there but is not, the mirror was wiggling, the vehicle was dirty, they took stickers off of the windshield but never scraped it and it did not have the sticker saying when the last oil change was done. He said they ordered parts 3 weeks ago but he still hasn't gotten them. He said the sales department and the general manager never once returned any of his phone calls. He said the service he got from the sales and general managers was horrendous. He said the service department rectified it and the guy he dealt with was decent, but he was just doing his job. He didn't do anything special. He said he is terribly unhappy with this business and would not recommend them to anybody.

JASON R.
South Range, WI
08/21/2019 Category: Sales
Treat you like you're stupid!
Having problems with the turbo sticking. I looked it up and it's either carbon or a loose shaft and they wont cover it under warranty. Service manager was rude!!

Daniel L.
MN
07/13/2019 Category: Service
Daniel said he was going to have an emissions update done and he was told they would have to fix a problem before that was covered under warranty. He said after two or three days they called him and said it wouldn't be covered under warranty and would cost a thousand dollars. He said he did it but wasn't happy.

JJ
Josiah J.
06/19/2019 Category: Service
Spoke with Josiah. He said it took the business 8 weeks to finish the repair and a big part was about the insurance. He stated that he was calling the business practically everyday because the insurance was waiting for the repair to finish so they can work on the claim. The repair was not done to his satisfaction and he said he wouldn't be back to the business.

Superior, WI
04/13/2019 Category: Service
Bad service
Bad service representative was not helpful and did not know the information needed or how to get the information needed

CG
Chase G.
Winona, MN
03/17/2019
Still waiting
So I purchased a car in January, never got the warranty packet that I wanted and I wanted to know how to reset the airbag light also. So I called and called and they said they sent a packet finally in February (which I never recieved yet and its march now) and that would get back to me to let me know how to reset the light. However no attempts were made in helping me out. I have finally given up and will probably never buy from a dealer again!!!! Oh plus they keep spelling my name wrong, thank god it's actually spelt right on the title though....

01/20/2019 Category: Sales
Poor excuse for customer service
Typical Evergreen dealership. More interested in the immediate gratification of a sale than the customer. The sale itself was fine other than their sorry excuse for an offer on my trade. Upon arriving to take delivery of the car, even though they had been expecting me the car was buried in the lot, covered in an inch of ice, dirty inside and out, an empty fuel tank, no 21 day permit, and it does not appear to have been through the shop or had an oil change.

Basically, my expectations were low going in and they couldn't even meet that.
Ana B. from Volkswagen of Duluth responded on 01/21/2019

Hello! I'm sorry you feel that you had a bad experience at our dealership. We truly do our best to give the very best sales experience possible.

Your vehicle was ready to go that Friday after the rustproofing was done, as mentioned by your salesman. There was a big snowstorm that day that is why your vehicle was buried in ice when you arrived Saturday. Unfortunately we did not know when you were going to stop in so we couldn't plan for it ahead of time. You did get a full tank of gas and a 21 day permit before you left our lot. I apologize that things might not have gone as smooth for your vehicle delivery as we would have liked.

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you in the future.

BL
BRIAN L.
Bruno, MN
12/18/2018 Category: Sales
Crappy
Sell vehicle vehicles that don't have proper tires on for winter then expect you to buy th
Ana B. from Volkswagen of Duluth responded on 12/19/2018

Hi Brian, I'm sorry that you feel that way. We did have an agreement with you that if you provided the stipulations needed to finalize the financing that we would change the tires. Since you decided not to keep the truck and ended up returning it back to us, then there was no need for us to change the tires at the time. We would certainly like to earn your business in the future so please let us know how we can help.

TR
Trenton R.
Mcgregor, MN
10/12/2018 Category: Service
Trenton said the staff at this business did not get a hold of him ahead of time to let him know that his oil change service plan was about to expire after he had paid for 3 oil changes when he purchased this vehicle. Instead he was charged $80.00 for the oil change. He felt that the staff at this business could have honored the plan. He said now because of this slight, he will not be purchasing another vehicle from this business.

CQ
CODY Q.
Solon Springs, WI
07/16/2018 Category: Sales
Still waiting for services that have been paid for to be completed.
Walked in and basically handed the sale to the Salesman names Adam. During the paperwork process I opted to purchased the “Northland Protection” which is undercoating for the car. The dealer, Volkswagen of Duluth, was supposed to call me to set up a day to bring it in to have this done after receiving my vehicle. They have never contacted me to set this up and they will not return my phone calls and gave me the run around when I made a personal visit. At this point I am out $800 and will contacting the FTC and a lawyer.

Annabelle M.
Hancock, MI
06/20/2018
Terrible service -
I wanted to buy a 2018 VW from this dealer but they were totally unresponsive. I called the manager, talked to a salesperson and they never got back to me. I emailed them and asked them questions -- laid out clearly so they could easily respond by typing into my text. No response. Some random person from the dealer called (not one of the two I had contacted) and asked if I wanted to trade something -- no answers, or even any reference to, any of my previous questions. I'd hate to think how maddening it would be to get this kind of attention AFTER I bought a car from them. I am going elsewhere for sure. Probably all the way to Greenbay, WI!
I also notice that most of the reviews on this site seem to be written by a third party -- dealer. Notice that they say things like: "David B. said service was fast" and "Alain said the service was timely." Oh did they? If they were so impressed why didn't they take the time to write their own reviews?

CAROL B.
Proctor, MN
03/03/2018 Category: Service
Misleading
Took car into Voelkswagonfor its regular prepaid oil change and tire rotation. Like the scams you see on TV, the serviceman called to say they finished the requested work but our transmission was leaking badly and we have the kind of car that there is no tool to get at it so they have to take it all apart to fix it. He also said we needed to replace the battery and oil filter. This would cost us over $600 , We took it to our regular mechanic And He looked the car over and laughed when we told him the other service person said there wasn't a tool to get at the transmission. He had a tool that could do it. His inspection and replacement of the filter was $60. Battery was good for another year and transmission was fine. Getting a second opinion saved us over $500.

KR
KEITH R.
Ashland, WI
Volkswagen Tiguan
11/17/2017 Category: Service
Horrible service department
The service department has gone completely downhill and they will not be getting any further business from me either. I had an appointment to change my spark plugs and if they happened to find a defective ignition coil (or something else), I wanted to make sure I had an early enough of an appointment to make the part cut-off for the next day. They ran out of spark plugs right before my scheduled appointment and needed to order them. Being that I live 150 miles away (round trip) from the dealership, I was not happy that I had to wait for something I assumed would be in stock for my appointment. I could understand if something additional needed to be ordered but not for something that should have been in stock for this appointment. There was no regard for my time or the fact that I had a three-hour round-trip drive two days in a row.

VW Duluth charged an hour of labor for a diagnosis that was caught in a complimentary multi-point inspection at another dealership. On top of this I already had the engine codes and had the engine light reset by another VW dealer and was told to change the spark plugs and go from there. I’m still awaiting a return call regarding what VW of Duluth is willing to do to rectify my most recent visit.

PL
Pat L.
Littlefork, MN
08/13/2017
Stressful Day
Salesman called me and set a day for me to pick up my new car. When I arrived they told me he was not in that day. Another new person tried to help me - brought my new car around - gave me the key. I mentioned that there should be 2 keys. He found another key in the glove box, but it was not for that car. He then ran thru the lot clicking the key fob to see which vehicle it was for. Finally came back and said the key was laying on the floor. Started home (165 miles) and when I accelerated past 60 mph the car started to vibrate badly. Turned around and brought the car back. I said I would not drive the car home and asked for my old car back. He took me over to the service dept. - they said they were very busy but if I wanted to wait a couple hours they might be able to fit me in. Finally I flat out told them to get me my old car - I said "I still own that car - bring it to me" So, as of today, I have not heard from anyone at the dealership. I will go pick up the car when they get it fixed - and go turn my diesel in somewhere else. I never want to go back there.

KH
Kirstie H.
07/29/2017
Waste of TIme
I made an appointment for them to just look at my windshield wipers as they were faulty, for a 10:30 appointment. I was there until almost 1 PM with a big list of things "wrong" with my car (that my oil change appt somewhere else covered half of), and a $130 bill that I was not ever notified I'd even have!! I wanted to get my wipers fixed but thank god they didn't (over $250) but they did an overall "check-up" that I never asked for.

Catherine S.
Irvine, CA
05/17/2017 Category: Service
Catherine said she had to be picked up and towed because she was stranded. Her vehicle had to be taken back to the business.

KJ
Keri J.
05/08/2017 Category: Service
Keri said no active repair was done and they took advantage of her son. Her son recently purchased his vehicle about 3 weeks ago. A diagnostic was done, they confirmed his suspicion and was charged $125 for the diagnostic. She likes the salesperson but she is wary to have work done there in the future.

HK
HOPE K.
Superior, WI
VOLKSWAGEN JETTA SEDAN
04/17/2017 Category: Service
Mis diagnosed
Im still waiting for my refund