Latest Review about 4 years ago

GU
Glenn U.
04/07/2015
Worst Customer Experience I've Ever Had
I am not one to leave negative feedback about a poor experience (in fact, this is the first time I have ever posted anything negative about a company). Everyone has bad days, so I don’t mind giving the benefit of the doubt, but this time I had to make an exception. I took my car to Kirby’s to swap out my headlight bulbs and ballasts. I provided the parts, I just needed them installed. Joe at Kirby’s installed them for me. When I got to the shop to pick up my car, Joe told me that during the install, my sidelight lenses “just fell out”. He showed where he glued them back in. I didn’t make a big deal of it, as long as the glue held the lights in place, I accepted that. Well, a couple weeks later, as I am riding down the interstate, my driver’s side light came out and was flapping around hanging on only by the connected wires. I contacted Kirby’s and they refuse to do anything about it. They told me it was already broken, and that is why the lights fell out during the install. Well, it is funny how my light has NEVER fallen out until Kirby’s worked on the car. But honestly, it’s not the workmanship that leads me to this post…it is the dealings with the owner, Mitch Kirby. When I asked for either new lights or my money back for the poor install, Mitch had the audacity to tell me I broke the lights when trying to self install my bulbs/ballasts, and that I took the car into his shop just trying to get something for free from them….basically calling me a liar and a cheat. And after saying that, he hung up on me….for the third time (I have called Kirby’s 5 or 6 times, and still waiting for a callback from our last conversation). Mitch is the most unprofessional business owner I have ever had the displeasure of speaking with. From the get go, he has been insulting and very unreasonable (like leading me to believe he would give me a refund, only to hear a different story when I called back after not hearing anything from them). Needless to say, I will never do business with Kirby’s again.
Mitch K. from Kirby's Garage ll responded on 04/08/2015

You brought us your early 2000 Saab with broken headlamp and turn signal assemblies. We put them back as good as they could be repaired without replacing the whole assemblies. You were told this and shown the problem when you picked up the vehicle because you admitted that Joe had shown you the tape holding them together. I'm very sorry that the make of vehicle you have chosen to drive is no longer in business but that isn't our problem. It's your vehicle and YOU will have to pay to repair it, not me. I sincerely hope that this is the last time we have any corespondence and you consider the matter closed.

MA
Malcolm and Deborah A.
Mercedes-Benz CLK500
12/02/2014
Price shock
We have done business with Kirbys for a few years. Seems like every time I go in there is a new manager. However the prices have been competitive - until now. Imagine my surprise when my oil change cost a lot more than usual. $167 for an oil change? Out of curiosity, I checked other auto repair shops for their prices and they were all around $120...feeling cheated and will not be going back! I have always recommended Kirbys to friends and family but I won't be doing that now. Btw, the new manager was not very friendly either.
Mitch K. from Kirby's Garage ll responded on 12/05/2014

My name is Mitch Kirby and I'm very sorry to hear you're unhappy with our service. It's true I've had some turnover at the Manager position but I'm confident I have the right man for the job. You called Joe on a saturday to ask how long it had been since your last service and because we are closed on saturday and Joe was at home he couldn't look up that info for you. He had forwarded the business line to his personal cell phone. In regard to the Oil service price, your last service onMarch 25th 2014 was the same price. We used Mobil1 oil in your vehicle, which is what Mercedes recommends. It has the Mobil1 emblem right under the hood!!! Of course, I can do the service for what other places told you but that isn't the proper way to service your Mercedes, cheaper "house brand" oil and filter. They recommend things for a reason and I highly recommend you adhere to their recommendations as well. Please accept my apologizies as I want you to be my customer very badly.

HB
Harney B.
Pulaski, TN
Dodge Charger
12/13/2012 Category: Service
Spoke with Jane. She said when her vehicle was towed there she got a quote for $900. They tried to raise the towing rate by $40. Then they told her that her radiator was cracked, when really all it was a thermostat. She said she feels this business was a total rip off and the service man was rude to her.

TW
Todd W.
Jeep Cherokee
04/10/2013 Category: Service
Todd said he brought his vehicle to the business two times. The work took three days, but he was satisfied with the repairs they performed. He said once he picked the vehicle up the serpentine belt broke and he had to take the vehicle back in. He was not satisfied with the length of time the work took and ever since the second repair the vehicle's transmission has been failing. He wouldn't recommend the business based on this experience.

Lashawn M.
Land Rover Discovery
03/16/2013
super dissatisfied
i spent twelve hundred bucks to have my truck fixed only to have it run for one day before breaking down and then being told i needed an engine replacement. i would have never spent this money on this truck and i am sure this is something they could have detected but why would they skip out on getting my money????

EM
Eric M.
Kia Sedona
11/09/2012
Flip-flop on prices; no discount
I've been going to Kirby's with my van since 2010 and they have always provided great service - and still do. However, this past transaction left me with a "WTH" feeling after getting a quote on my front caliper and pads (all around) of $770. I had to ask about the tax, then it went to $854. Okay, that is fine - the part didn't deliver on the day requested, and I had to wait until Monday, no problem. I got the call that it was done, the price jumped to $892. They never called to tell me they got charged delivery for the caliper and decided to pass the "saving" onto me - at half the cost. Thanks! I went in to get my van and they felt bad because no one discussed the difference with me and they "ate" the cost of delivery. Final cost: $774. So... the delivery cost was $220? Plus, on top of that, I never got my 25% discount for having my birthday in November (per their marquee). Service is grand, book keeping sucks.

DJ
Dallas J.
Mercury Mariner
03/14/2014
Quality work, timely, unpleasant side effects
We recently had a few things done on our Mercury Mariner (radiator, thermostat, horn, oil pan, oil change) and all of that work was done quickly and seemingly to a high standard. When we got the car back it seems to have another problem as now the heat/air conditioner only works when we turn the dial to the highest setting. Also the car smelled of smoke and there was a pack of Pall Mall's left on the interior with a few unsmoked cigarettes. The blower pressure may be unrelated (although quite coincidental) the cigarettes and the smell are not.
Mitch K. from Kirby's Garage ll responded on 03/26/2014

Mr Jackson has since contacted our shop and stated that the heat/a/c concern was an issue before vehicle come into our shop as per Mrs Jackson. Mr Jackson stated he will be back and does recommend our shop. Thank You Steve King. Service Manager..

David M.
11/07/2013 Category: Service
David said they did not tell him the check engine light was on before he picked up his vehicle. They let him drive an unsafe vehicle because the radiator was not leaking, it was pouring out and the distributor was going bad. He had to take his vehicle to a Nissan dealer where everything was fixed. When he called this business, a staff member mentioned seeing the water flow out every time the gas pedal was pushed. He would not recommend them to others for the reasons mentioned.
Mitch K. from Kirby's Garage ll responded on 11/14/2013

David,Upon arrival of your 1995 Nissan Altima the engine would not crank over as you had stated when you called us for service,Your battery cables were loose and battery had insufficent charge,We corrected your battery cable ends and charged battery to then find engine would start and stall due to cylinders fuel fouled due to the excessive cranking of engine before vehicle arrived to our shop, We replaced your sparkplugs to correct engine no start and engine was running smoothly at that time, During our free courtesy inspection discovered that your radiator was leaking and recommended replacement as you declined repair, as for the check engine light there were no (dtc) diagnostic trouble codes due to battery low voltage therefor no check engine light was on.We operate a very honest and reputable auto service shop and every customer is of the upmost importance to us,If there is anything we could help you with in the future please call on us Sincerly Steve King.. Service Manager

Jason D.
TN
09/19/2013 Category: Service
Jason said everybody is nice, but this was the second time he has had to bring his vehicle back for the same problem. His power steering went out and they charged him $500. The second time he came back they fixed it for free, but a week later it went out again. He took it somewhere else and they told him the repair work that was done at this business was wrong and that it did not solve the problem at all. The other business only charged him $55. He has had a good experiences in the past, so he is hoping this was an isolated incident and he will still recommend them.

Riley G.
07/27/2013 Category: Service
Riley said three days after service, the check engine light came back on.
Mitch K. from Kirby's Garage ll responded on 07/30/2013
I'm very sorry that happened but sometimes these computers have multiple problems. Please drop by and we will look at the problem while you wait.

NT
Nicholas T.
01/21/2013 Category: Service
Nicholas said he had 2 vehicles that he took in for service and 2 days later the check engine light came on. He does not have enough time to bring the vehicles back again.
Mitch K. from Kirby's Garage ll responded on 01/23/2013
I'm very sorry you had a problem after you left. Please give us a call and let's set up an appointment where we can inspect the vehicle. We ran the car thru a drive cycle so the tags could be purchased and when you picked it up the light wasn't on. If our Franklin location is more convenient then we will be happy to serve you there as well. Thank you so much for your business and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

EM
Eric M.
Volkswagen Jetta
09/11/2012 Category: Service
Eric said this business didn't provide the best service but that it was just ok. He would recommend this business for domestic vehicles.

Debbie L.
Kia Optima
09/04/2015
Courtesy Car
Always provides a courtesy car when I need it.

Janti S.

KJ
Kurt J.
Chevrolet Cobalt
01/23/2015
Fast, intelligent, fair, solid service.

Demetrius R.
La Vergne, TN
Ford Expedition
08/04/2014
It's convenient to work close to a shop where you can honestly trust that you are getting what you need and are not being taken advantage of. That's why I always come here.

DJ
Dallas J.
03/26/2014
Quick, quality work
We had a myriad of things serviced on our car -- radiator, oil pan, horn, etc -- and after telling Kirby's that it was our only family vehicle the work was completed the next day, prior to the promised time.

James H.
12/11/2013 Category: Service
James said Steve was pretty nice, but when he came to pick the vehicle up they quoted him a higher price of $50. When he mentioned it to Steve he gave him a card for a free oil change. He would not recommend this business because the price is too high.

AC
Andrew C.
10/09/2013 Category: Service
Andrew said this business did a good job.