Diane C.
MINI Cooper
06/20/2017
Responsive and concerned owner
I appreciated Jeff's call back about my experience. He had clearly heard the concern and taken action to coach his employees. I appreciate that my concerns did not fall on deaf ears and was addressed.

06/20/2017
Desk service leaves negative impression
On a recent visit to the Baldwinsville garage, I found the "atmosphere" of the garage to be very different than previous visits and it started with how I was greeted by the front desk clerk. While she immediatly asked if I had an appointment and what was my name, her tone was not friendly or welcoming. She had difficulty finding my appointment time in the computer. For about 1 minute she searched in the computer not offering any explanation as to why she couldn't find my appointment, leaving me to feel a bit anxious about whether or not I had an appointment since I had taken time off from work to attend it. She did find it and told me to have a seat. As I sat in the waiting room, another customer came I indicating he was instructed to bring his car in todayfor service by "Matt" . The front t desk clerk proceeded to curtly tell him there was no way they could look at the car today as they were booked all week and maybe they could look at it on friday. The customer attempted to explain that this other employee told him to come in and he was cutoff by the front desk clerk who indicated that "Matt" should not have told him this and that if he did, then he should have told him to go to the East Syracuse site where this Matt was. The customer asked her to call Matt which she did, but not without complaints about the miscommunication between the two sites. The customer eventually left, agreeing to leave his car at this garage for a Friday appointmnet. After he left, the front desk clerk proceeded to discuss the matter with another employee with waiting customers in the front room, remarking that Jeff needs to address the communication issues between the two sites as this sort of mess cannot continue to happen.
While perhaps a legitimate point, not one to mame when customers are present. My car was done within an hour which I was glad about. As I checked out, even this process was clearly different than in previous visits. I was handed the bill to sign. As I read what was done, the clerk remarked that was all the things that was done and that I would get my own copy. While she did not say this, I was left with the impression that I need not review the bill but only sign it as I Will get a copy to read later.

While the front desk clerk was all business, there was no warm and friendly small talk that would make a customer'experience better and that would leave a positive impression on the customer. In fact, I was thankful to leave this negative, uncomfortable environment. This experience was very different than past visits where the front desk clerk was friendly, helpful and explained what was done to the car and often, someone from the garage wou,d also discuss the work performed. I hope this feedback is helpful and that the business sees a ckmplaint as a gift.

I will continue to recommend the shop in hopes that either it was an unusual day on the day of my visit and not typical or that the atmosphere will change as a rule of this feedback.
Jeff T. from Upstate Imports Auto Repair responded on 07/11/2017

I spoke with Diane about her review and her experience.

We recently opened a second location and hired a new receptionist and service manager for the Bville location and they are still learning the new software and new customers and dealing with scheduling between the 2 locations.

Diane was just critiquing how the business was being handled (very much appreciated) and that I should know how she was treated.

I printed this out and let the employees involved read for themselves, they did not seem to realize how they mishandled the situation.

Diane is happy with her service otherwise and said she would be back.

Mike D.
Porsche Boxster
11/12/2016
2001 Porsche
After getting in my car I noticed that the air bag warning light was on. This should have been caught in post inspection. I also had an issue with my radio in that it asked for a code. This too should have been caught in a post inspection. Last my car is now idling roughly which it did not do before and should have been caught just starting the vehicle. I must say that I was disappointed in the last service you performed seeing how my previous experiences were all good.
Jeff T. from Upstate Imports Auto Repair responded on 11/14/2016

Mike,

Sorry for the disappointing service and thank you for the feedback.

Your car was towed to us with a dead battery and no start. Upon inspection, we found approximately 3 gallons of water on the drivers floor caused by a plugged roof drain. The water intrusion caused the vehicles' the Immobilizer Module to fail, resulting in the car not starting along with other electrical issues.

We do get cars in all the time with dash lights on i.e., SRS, ABS, Engine light, but customers do not always want us to diagnose those lights out. I apologize for not checking in with you regarding the SRS light.

I also apologize for the oversight on the radio code. We did not turn the radio on and therefore was unaware of this issue.

Regarding the rough idle, we did not notice this on start-up and your vehicle starter without fail once the Immobilizer was readded to your vehicle. There may be another issue present with the vehicle, unrelated to the Immobilzer.

Again, I apologize for your recent experience with us and hope that this Reponse helps clarify any questions you may have. We look forward to continuing to work together in the future.

Nick O.
Baldwinsville, NY
Volvo XC90
12/24/2015 Category: Service
Nick said the problem is still not fixed. The vehicle has improved but it is still not fixed.

WS
Wendy S.
Fulton, NY
Saab 9-3
11/05/2015
$53 to top off anti-freeze
Have always been very happy with upstate imports and I will keep going there. They are typically very professional and helpful. I am disappointed this time. I brought my car in for a recall and mentioned that my engine coolant light kept going on but I had checked the anti-freeze and it was fine. They basically topped off the antifreeze and charged me $53. No leak or anything (which they checked for). I knew that was not the case - if there was a leak it would have been empty or very low by now. Usually very happy with this business- I guess I just have to be more specific on what I ask for in the future. Wish I had topped it off myself for $3.00
Jeff T. from Upstate Imports Auto Repair responded on 11/06/2015

Wendy - please accept our apologies for your disappointment in your last visit. The low coolant light can be triggered for any number of reasons, and not always present an external leak. We performed a thorough check of why your low coolant light was activating intermittently. This included performing a visual inspection for leaks (both on and off the vehicle lift); pressure testing of the coolant system; and lastly checking the vehicle diagnostics for any codes present.

Juliana G.
New York
Volkswagen Passat
07/02/2014 Category: Service
Juliana said the business had her vehicle for a month to fix the fuel pump. When her vehicle was returned, the problem was not fixed. She mentioned that during this service the business initiated no contact.

Lucy B.
BMW 330i
02/04/2014
Didn't feel as welcomed as initially last year,
I wasn't as confident with my visit as last year. Last year at inspection time, Jeff himself worked on my car and fixed a problem that was constantly stunning all other garages and BMWdealerships. Until recently my car was running very good. Once the weather was freezing up, my car started acting up, finding out the thermostat was stuck which caused sensors to go off. They had smoke tested the car every time I had it inspected, and no one even Jeff last year couldn't find anything, it was the catylac convertor that was the problem, well it seemed like that was again setting off the same code, but who knows. the light on the license plate that needed replacing was fixed last year by your shop and this year needed a whole new unit, so rather than spending any more on these constant issues that no one can make a permenant fix to, I decided to trade it in, you just have to draw the line. The Receptionist is an asset,(very nice), but I didn't feel the positive feedback from anyone else, and was rather set back by a fee for checking it out and really not telling me anything I didn't tell him was wrong with it. Too bad, I feel you are better than the dealershops, but felt you only cater to those who will pay the big bucks, (customer service is a plus if you want people to come back).

Kevin S.
Cicero, NY
01/09/2014
Reliable service
Always get the job done during emergencies. However, I have a red dot on the console after having a light module circuit board replaced. Before having it services , I asked if they could reprogram the car if they put used or new parts in it as the BMW blogs suggested. They said they had the ability but now I have a red dot which is bad for resale.

BP
Bill P.
03/04/2013 Category: Service
Bill said the power steering was leaking. He said he had to take the vehicle back in twice and it still has a problem.

CE
Chris E.
12/27/2012 Category: Service
Chris said this business did an overall good job, but there was an issue where they forgot to put a screw back in when they replaced the timing belt. He said this business corrected the issue for free, but it was a lengthy drive back for him. He mentioned the receptionist at this business was really nice.

CR
Chris R.
Fulton, NY
BMW 335xi
08/23/2012 Category: Service
Chris said there was quite a long wait for the vehicle to be ready. It was an hour and a half longer than anticipated with no reason given for the delay.

PM
Pat M.
Saab 9-3
08/13/2012 Category: Service
Pat said his vehicle is currently making a noise since this visit. He said he will try to pinpoint the noise himself before contacting this business. He would 100 percent recommend this business to others.