Overall Rating 2.6666667/5Overall Rating 2.6666667/5rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667
Overall Rating 1.6666667/5rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667

John L.
Volvo S40
10/28/2017 Category: Service
John said he was not happy with the business because they did the same repair twice and double charged him. The lady at the front desk said he had a bad attitude. He will be calling the Better Business Bureau.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 11/09/2017

John came in with a check engine light on and a lean code and we found a pcv hose broken, we replaced the hose and the plenum gasket drove the vehicle and everything was good to go. He received a veterans discount.  John called back later stating the check engine light had come on and was asked if he wanted to bring it in the next day. He responded upset because he thought he was being put off instead of being asked if that was convenient to him. That was explained to him later. He had sold the car and the new owner brought it in the next day. We diagnosed (for free) the problem and found that the diaphram inside of the oil trap housing (located under the pcv hose, and internal of the housing) had failed. Our shop foreman offered to do the work only charging 1/2 hour although the job took 2 hours not including diagnose time of over 1 hour. After the work was done John shook the shop foremans hand, thanked him, and  came in and paid his bill. John actually saved $194.10 on his bill with the discounted labor and no charge for additional diagnose. We are sorry that two different components failed ,however we did not do the same repair twice, nor did we double charge him, in all actuality we tried to make easier a difficult situation after a customer had already sold a vehilce to someone else.

LH
LES H.
07/28/2017
Clear definition of proceedures and need current and potential
We are always well received and work done timely. Though, as always at times somethings bring up problems with others resulting in delays, but that simply fits an imperfect work.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 08/01/2017

We did a follow up call to Les to understand his response which sesemed positive but with a rating of 1 star. We wanted to see if there was some way we had fallen short. He explained that it was an automated system of call back and he hit 1 by accident. We are sorry the follow up automated system was complicated but are glad that you actually gave us 5 stars!!

WH
WALTER H.
07/14/2017
Didn't fix,the problem that I brought it in to fix
Didn't fix,the problem that I brought it in to fix.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 07/14/2017

Walter,
We did perform the vehilce inspection and at that time did not find the answer to one of your problems,  however we did find another problem that you weren't aware of, and were able to  make your vehicle road worthy. I am glad that you have scheduled another appointment next week and hopefully then we can find and fix your other problem. Thank you!

JEREMY H.
07/02/2017
Poor work.
My break caliper has come lose and moves along the wheel, I will be there first thing in the morning to have it repaired and I expect that any damage caused by this will be covered as well. I had recently had my tires rotated there and then all the sudden my rotors are warped. I replace my rotors and break pads and now this. I am beginning to question after this repair if I will bring my business back.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 07/05/2017

Jeremy,
We checked out your vehicle and replaced a caliper bolt that had somehow worked itself back after 2,000 miles which is almost unheard of. Your brakes (pads and rotors) looked good, you have a lifetime warranty on pads and a year on rotors, so no worries. If anything needed replacing we would have taken care of it. After the rotate and balance we had spoken and figured that the vibration you felt-your warped rotors, you could not have distinguished before the balance of the tires. With everything you have done here you have a nationwide warranty, if you are out of the area you can call 1-800-457-0019. I hope you are satisfied with our work and the compensation you were given for your troubles and rental car.

CL
Chris L.
Kentucky
03/03/2017 Category: Service
Chris said this business is not what it used to be. He has purchased 5 or 6 vehicles from them. The mechanics are excellent but he is not thrilled with the employees who schedule appointments. They seem bland and hostile these days. They used to be more friendly.

03/03/2017 Category: Service
Chris said he was very dissatisfied with service this business provided. His tire pressure was not checked in conjunction with the oil change and he had to take his vehicle back in the next day to have it done.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 03/06/2017

I spoke to Chris and he informed me that he had taken his vehicle to the dealer for his oil change and thought he was giving a review on that. He only came to us for a tire repair which we performed and everything was ok after that. I informed Chris that we can perform any service and repair that the dealer can and his vehicle will still be under manufactures warranty since we are an ASE certified shop. Hope to see you next time Chris!

5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 03/10/2017

Unfortunately even after I spoke to Chris and informed him that we are not the dealer he has again rated us thinking that we are the dealership that he has gone to. We have never sold any vehicles to this gentleman, as we have only had dealings with him one time and that was for the tire repair. Chris, come to Five Star, give us 5stars on our review and let us show you that we are 5 star and not the bland and hostile dealership that you are going to!

MARY B.
Chevrolet Sonic
02/16/2017
Oil change took way too long!
It took 1 hour and 5 minutes to get a simple oil change. After 55 minutes I ask what the problem was and was told they were waiting on a filter. I thought this was odd since I had made the appointment 2 days earlier and would have thought they would have what they needed to change my oil. Then the guy rang it up without using the coupon we had discussed when I came in. So it took more time to get that right. I might as well go to one of those drive through oil change places. It would have surely been faster.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 02/16/2017

I reached out to Mary and apologized for the delay. Her vehicle does take a special cannister filter that was not in stock and while delivering it, the parts truck came upon a train with over 100 boxcars! We now have her filter information in her memo to ensure that upon her next oil change we will have it in stock. She did receive her coupon discount, which offset the cost of the filter, which is much more expensive than a regular filter. We will work on our communication with our customers to ensure a quicker turn around and less down time. We want to be a one stop shop for our customers and will strive to accomodate their needs. Thank you Mary for our great phone conversation and allowing me to resolve this unfortunate experience! We look forward to seeing you again!

DALE G.
Versailles, KY
Dodge Dakota
11/03/2016
2004 Dodge Dakota
Actually I am Quite Unhappy. After # separate visits and several hundred $ work on the blower for AC/Heater, it stopped working again, and was repaired elsewhere , basically a 'short'. And, the reason it ended up elsewhere is that the vehicle overheated because y'all didn't tighten the radiator cap @my last service. So, after a few years of doing business there, I'm Done. Dale G.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 11/04/2016

Dale,
I am sorry you feel that way! I see we have replaced the blower motor resistor and pigtail in 2015 and it had been about a year since you came back needing the blower motor replaced. We also did an oil change where we did check your coolant strength by testing the coolant from the reservoir. I don't see any reason we would have opened your radiator cap. And since you didn't let us know about having a problem with the blower motor after you left I'm not sure what the short was. I am aware that last year you had many burnt wires that we repaired. Remember that we have a 12 month 12.000 mile warranty with every service but unfortunately if you don't let us know of a problem, we can't fix it. When you picked up your vehicle last month everything was in good working order which leads me to believe that your short was in fact another problem, or the blower motor installed would not have worked for us. I also don't know why you waited a month to let us know of this problem. I called and left you a message, and do hope we can speak to resolve this situation.

DANNY B.
08/25/2016
Bad experience for no reason.
I brought my Jeep in to have a check brakes dash indicator. $75 later the mechanic banged around on my brakes and I have a click and clunk noise and a pitiful explanation. I won't be back.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 08/25/2016

Danny,
I am so sorry about your experience! I have called and left you a detailed message and want to remedy this situation as soon as possible. Please call me back so we can make this right. We want all of our customers to be satisfied and can't do that if we don't know that there is a problem so contact me as soon as possible.

DORISA S.
Chrysler PT Cruiser
07/06/2016
Dorisa Slaughter's PT Cruiser 2007
I am giving this $2,000 car repair job on my PT Cruiser a poor rating. The mechanics admitted not having the knowledge/training to work on PT Cruisers after they tried to repair the problems; however, this was not disclosed to me beforehand. All of the problems they repaired were ineffectively done and had to be repaired again. I had to return 3 times for them to redo their work and my Satelite Radio (unplugged by mechanic) still doesn't work. I am putting this review on their web page so folks won't be misled and will also submit a review to the Better Business Bureau. I am also sending an email to my fellow KCTCS co-workers warning them not to get their cars repaired at this particular repair shop. If I need further redoes, I will discuss disputing the charges with my bank. I will never ever return to the shop to even have a skate board repaired. Very, very disappointed and let down. If you need car repairs, see the repair shop up the street from this one so you won't be ripped off.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 07/07/2016

Dorisa,
 I am sorry you feel this way. When you car came to us it was not running and was towed in. We replaced the timing belt and got the vehicle running. We are very familiar with PT Cruisers and are very qualified to work on them. My tech stated he didn't know a lot about the satelite radio. He wasn't talking about not knowing about PT cruisers. The problem you had to come back for is in the ignition switch. We replaced it and the pigtail. I showed your husband what was going on with it. It was nothing we done wrong, but was a defective part. We raplaced it and you had to come back again due to the part being defective. I looked at it today and we replaced it with a different brand from a different parts store. I know it is a hassle having to come back and I hate that. We never want a customer to have to come back or to be unhappy. I can not help if I get bad parts. I am not trying to make excuses but that is something that is completely out of my control. I talked to your husband and you all know me well enough that I will bend over backwards to try to do anything I can to make you happy. I gave him 2 free oil changes for having to come back dur to defective parts. That is also why I personally took him out and showed him exactly what was going on with your vehicle. I really appreciate you all trusting us with your vehicle and I will always try to make sure you are happy and satisfied. We do unfortuntely run into new parts being bad. I realize it is a hassle for you as it is for us also. I can promise you I don't like answering ratings like this. You all have known me for quite awhile and I hope I have built trust with you all that we can keep a good relationship. Anytime you have a problem my phone line is always open for you to call me and I will take care of the problem. You should always be able to get in touch with me at 231-5750 or 744-4054.  I talked to your husband for awhile today and hopefully we have everything fixed and good to go for you. If you have any questions or want to bend my ear please give me a call. Most defiantly if you are still unhappy please call me so we can get together and work this out.

Dean Bartholow
5 Star Exhaust

RN
Rachel N.
03/30/2016
They stole items from my car.
Went in to get my brakes replaced in Jan. Upon inspection they gave me a list of things my vehicle . So on zmarch 11th I came back to have some of the repairs done. They replaced my water pump. Everything seemed fine. On march 18th I went to get in my car and noticed I had an extreme leak coming from my radiator. I called them and there were closed soon monsay march 21st I took it to them and them. They told told me it was ready to pick up. They said had to replace the o ring for the radiator drain plug. They didn't charge me and Elliane told me sorry things happen and I left. That should have been a red flag for me right there. Why were they sorry? Any way on march 29th go to get in my vehicle same leak as before I call them ask If i can bring in the morning they say sure. Drop it off on march 30th . Chris calls me a while later and tells me I need a whole new radiator. I tell him you know what Im coming to get it and I take it somewhere else. I get down yhere and chris can't really tell my why I needed a new other than things happen. I leave. I get across the street and realize my car phine charger is gone and my auxiliary cord is gone so I turn around and go back. They reveiw the cameras and no one but their employees entered my car. Im overwhelmed and upset so I leave and my husband stays and speaks to them they eventually give him a 20 dollar check for my missing property. So absolutely disatisfied and violated. I will never recommend them.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 03/31/2016

On January 18 Rachel came in for a brake check and we did a thorough check and one of the things we noticed was that the water pump was leaking. Rachel brought it back on March 11 and we replaced the water pump and thermostat among a few other items she needed. She came back on March 21 due to a coolant leak and the technician found the radiator drain plug was leaking, which we replaced free of charge.  On March 30 she returned due to a coolant leak, and after performing a coolant pressure test- free of charge, it was noted that the radiator was seeping. Rachel was informed that in a coolant system after replacing one component, sometimes the vehicle being under the correct pressure once again will find the next weakest spot and another component will begin to leak. It is a 13 year old van with 148,000 miles on it. Unfortunately components over time are going to break down, this is natural wear and tear. Chris and I both informed her of this.  She left and came back stating that her phone charger and auxilliary cord was stolen. We have no idea if these items were in the vehicle when it was pulled in the shop.  Chris proceeded to spend an hour going over the cameras with her husband. Only the same technician that has always worked on her vehicle had entered and exited the vehicle. This individual has worked here over 8 years and we have never had a problem with him stealing nor would he risk his job for a phone charger and auxillary cord. I told them both this and that I stand by my tech. She proceeded to say that I was then calling her a liar, and left. To try and appease the couple I offered the husband 20 dollars and informed him I was in no way admitting guilt, but I wanted them to leave in a better mood. He was understanding and accepted my offer. We feel bad that they had that experience, have never had any problems with them in the past, and hope that they can come to see that we are a reputable shop that works hard to serve our customers and take care of their vehicles.

PW
PAM W.
09/26/2015
Thanks for everyone who contact me to help me understand was was going on.

09/26/2015
There needs to be more parking.
I got a back compressor fix and they didnt bother ro check the front. So with that being said I had to spend $400 in two weeks, just because they dont check almost everything that goes with what they fix.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 10/06/2015

I contacted Pam since I was confused at her rating. When she picked up her vehicle she was delighted as we had saved her over 600$ being that at first we thought the a/c compressor was going out but after removing the belt and tensioner we found that the tensioner was bad, it was visually ok, but tension was not holding onto the  belt well causing it to slip. The week prior we had replaced the rear blower motor and the front blower motor resistor. These three problems are non related parts, located in different areas of the vehicle. It is hoped that the customer sees that we did her a service in being honest and only fixing what was wrong, instead of doing a whole a/c compressor kit and charging her for parts that she did not need. When I spoke to Pam she also mentioned brake noise and I informed her that her rear brakes were still under warranty and if that was the problem we could replace them free of charge, but that we had never done front brakes here. She said she would let me know.

Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 11/02/2015

Pam,
 After talking to Elaine you said you understood the mis-communication and everything was ok. She had sent a request for a re-score and to make sure you were happy. We have not heard from you. Can you please give Elaine a call? We want to make sure you are happy with our work. If you are still not happy please let me know what I can do to make you happy.

Dean

WA
WILLIAM A.
Chevrolet Silverado
08/18/2015
Dishonest - Will NOT Go Back
We called them and told them specifically that they would need to cut out a portion of the exhaust pipe on our vehicle to make a repair because the oxygen censor had seized into the threads of its port. We were quoted a price and made an appointment. When the vehicle was taken in, and repaired, a different price was quoted for the very same thing we told them they would have to do to make the repair. I had it taken to them because I did not have the tools myself. They charged more than three times what we were quoted.

They are dishonest, take your vehicle to a more reputable business that will be upfront and honest and not change their prices for doing exactly what you ask them to do.

They get one star because this website will not let me select zero. Go somewhere else.
Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 08/18/2015

William
 I am sorry that you were not satisfied with our service. We normally don't like to give quotes over the phone for exhaust repair due to this exact situation. Over the phone we can not see what is going on or where the repair needs to be made. So when we quote over the phone is is a blind estimate.  We quoted welding in a new O2 sensor adapter. When the vehicle got to our store and we saw that we were going to actually have to cut a section of pipe out and replace it due to damage, we brought your wife out to the garage and showed her that we were going to have to do more work than what was quoted. We gave her the price and she said that was fine to go ahead and do it. The price was not triple the quot, however it was almost double but we made sure to explain and get approval before doing the work. She had the oppertunity to say no and go somewhere else. Any shop or dealership that gives quotes over the phone will tell you that it is an estamation. They are not going to guarantee that price until they see the vehicle. I can guarantee that. We are one of the few shops that do exhaust repair. Most shops and all dealerships would have replaced your whole down pipe and it would have cost you several hundred dollars more than what we charged. The price we did it for is MORE than fair and lower than any other reputable shop would have charged. If you have any further problems or would like to speak to me please feel free to stop by or call. I would like to have the oppertunity to make you happy and show that we care about our customers.  I believe in what we do and that the prices we charge are fair and in most cases cheaper than anyone in the area. We have a very good reputation if you will check into it, and it is because we stand behind our work and take care of our customers. If you don't come to me and let me know your frustrations, then I can't fix it.

Dean Bartholow

TG
THOMAS G.
07/07/2015
Overcharged on parts
Researched price of parts necessary for job from AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Amazon, and O'Reilly. Parts for all of those places came out to ~$75-100, but 5-Star charged me $160. Honest pricing is no such thing with this place.

Recommend buying parts yourself and have them do the job.
Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 07/08/2015

Thomas I am sorry that you feel the price for part was to high. First thing is that if you will also check those places they have 2 to 3 lines of parts, low line, midgrade line and high line. We always use the mid or high grade parts. Second, is that we have to mark parts up to cover warranty and cost of doing business. All shops do this. We have to pay rent, utilities, phones and employees. All shops are in business to also make a little money.  We feel that we are one of the lowest price auto repair shops in town. I have worked at other repair shops and can tell you that if you will check around you will find our price to be in line or cheaper than most. ALL shops mark up their parts just as any business in the world does. Autozone, Advance, Amazon and Oreilly all mark their parts up to sell to all of us, otherwise they couldn't stay in business.  I don't know where you work but I am sure where ever it is they mark up their prices of whatever service or products they supply. Third, most shops will not install customer supplied parts. Those that do will mark the labor up some and you will have absolutly no warranty on the labor. So if you would have brought the window regulator to us and it broke in 6 months or was bad out of the box you would have to pay the labor to replace it again. With us buying the part you have a 12 month parts and labor warranty. I hope this explains more to you so that you understand why the parts are marked up. If you have any questions please feel free to call me. I want you to happy with the work and the price.