Overall Rating 2.6666667/5Overall Rating 2.6666667/5rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667
Overall Rating 1.6666667/5rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667

DERRON M.
GMC Yukon XL
04/14/2019
Was in the same boat after I picked up my vehicle
They were friendly and nice enough to honor my 21 years of Honorable service in the Army with a discount, but I was charged 138 dollars for a diagnostic test and still had no idea what the problem was on my GMC Yukon. I will NEVER be back to this business.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 04/18/2019

Thank you for being understanding, and taking time to speak with me on the phone about this situation.

Matthew H.
GMC Jimmy
07/26/2018 Category: Service
Matthew said this business was unable to fix his vehicle. The staff was very helpful and nice.

07/26/2018 Category: Service
Matthew said the facility did a computer diagnostic, had the vehicle for 10 hours and still couldn't figure out what was wrong with the vehicle. However, he would still recommend this business for service.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 07/28/2018

I am sorry we could not figure out the issue with your vehicle on 7/20/18 but if my records are correct we spoke about the vehicle on the 17th and I had scheduled you for the 18th and the vehicle was not brought to us till the 20th. Also after trying to work you in on the 20th and not being able to find the issue I did not charge you anything and reschedule you for the following Monday July 23rd and you did not show up to that appointment. I would very much like to assist you with repairing your vehicle, please contact the shop and schedule another appointment.

Thank you for your time and review.
Ryan D.

JARED P.
Star Prairie, WI
INFINITI QX56
11/06/2017
$ preferred over business or customer service
When i asked them to investigate an exhaust leak sound on my vehicle they identified a muffler seam as possible cause. Muffler ordered and appointment scheduled for 8 a.m. with instructions to investigate further if sound of exhaust leak continued after muffler install, removing heat shields as may be necessary. Results are I'm charged fairly for work completed (new muffler) and vehicle returned with same exhaust leak sound. When discussed with shop, I'm told that they performed the work that I was charged for, and apologies for not completing work order as written. And that they didn't have enough time in the day to investigate further, even if they had intended to complete the work order (8:00 a.m. scheduled appointment) 11 days later and no attempt by shop to call and discuss my dissatisfaction. A poor job of customer consultation both prior to as well as after work was completed
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 11/06/2017

I had spoken to Jared when he came to pick up his vehicle, he had at that time informed me that the exhaust sounded the same to him. The flange was in fact broken and the seam of the muffler blown- two obvious repairs needed.Unfortunately we didn't have a opportunity to remove the heat shields that day and I told Jared that if he would bring back the vehicle on Monday that we would remove the heat shields and if it needed any small tack welding that we would take care of it. I meant that to say that for his troubles if it was something small we would not charge him. He said he would come on Monday but never showed up. I wrongly assumed he had rescheduled. After recieving this review I realized how wrong I was and promptly called him. He had taken his vehicle somewhere else and has been given an estimate for a large job, I have countered an estimate, and offered for him to return to us to verify work needed, when it is convenient to him. It is  hoped that we can come to a happy medium and Jared can have a great experience with us.

MF
MIKE F.
04/21/2017
missing radiator and oil caps
Normally very impressed with service but on this visit was told vehicle was test driven and was good. But when I got home seen coolant leaking badly from vehicle. Popped hood and both radiator and oil caps were not attached and laying in motor.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 04/21/2017

Mike,
 I am glad that you had called and brought this unfortunate situation to my attention. I had personally test driven the vehilce and the technician informed me that he had indeed checked the fluid levels and left the caps off thinking we were going to end up doing the intake gaskets that day. It was a severe oversight that the caps were not tightened down after we were informed that the work would not be done. Thank you for accepting our apology and a free oil change and allowing us the priveledge of doing the intake gaskets monday! We appreciate your loyalty over the years and strive our upmost to satisfy our customers! Thank you again for giving us a chance to have your business.

TK
Tim K.
Ravenna, KY
01/21/2017 Category: Service
Tim said this business is drastically over-priced. He said he had a plug placed in his tire and was charged $19. He believes other businesses would have charged around $10.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 01/23/2017

Tim,
I am so sorry you feel that way!! To be fair, I checked prices from three different tire retail shops in Lexington and one priced the same tire repair at $18.00 before tax, another at $30.19 before tax and another at $25.00 before tax. I feel that our price of $19.43 total of taking a tire off of a vehicle, performing a repair and then mounting and balancing the tire and reinstalling to be a fair price. I'm not sure about the pricing in Ravenna Ky.

Doug H.
10/07/2016 Category: Service
Doug said this business did nothing to resolve his problem. He is still having the same issue.

10/07/2016 Category: Service
Doug said the people were nice and friendly at this business but he wasn't happy with the service. He had to pay $50 and they didn't do what needed to be done right. They were supposed to put a cable on that he provided and they didn't adjust it right when they put it on his vehicle.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 10/11/2016

I called Doug and reminded him that we put in his cable as requested, that his old cable was broken and held in by jb weld and hose clamps, and his jeep was missing the throttle return spring and bracket, so that is why the job was not able to be done completely correctly, due to the missing parts he did not have and the condition of the jeep. We will happily replace the parts missing if the customer so desires to make everything as it should.

5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 10/18/2016

How does our rating goes from 2 out of 5 to 1 out of 5 after I reach out to the customer to see how we can resolve the situation?  Again, I let the customer know that we would gladly repair his vehicle correctly if either he brings us the parts it is missing or he lets us supply them. Unfortunately we are not miracle workers and cannot perform to perfection with an imperfect situation.

CL
Clayton L.
Porsche Boxster
04/19/2016 Category: Service
Clayton said they took his vehicle on a test drive and he thinks they drove it pretty hard because the temperature gauge was up more than normal. They told him nothing was wrong with it after they test drove it. He would not recommend for reasons stated.
Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 04/21/2016

Clayton
 I am sorry you feel this way. My technician did not do a full test drive. He pulled your car around to our back bays. You were complaining about an exhaust noise. He racked your car and left it running while it was up in the air to see if he could hear anything underneath. He did not hear anything. He pulled your car back around front and went on a test drive with you driving and he said that you drove the car pretty hard, harder than he would drive anyones car. He did not tell you there was nothing wrong with your car. He said that he did not see anything physically wrong with your car, but if the tone was different it may have a baffle coming apart in your muffler. I am sorry that we didn't find anything at the present time but we are not one of the shops that is going to tell you you need to replace something that you don't need. We do not know what your vehicle sounded like before it was making the noise to compare it to what we heard. We did not hear any rattles only the tone of the exhaust. If it is louder than it used to be then yes the tech is correct, you may have a baffle coming apart. We can not see thru metal to be able to tell for sure. We did not charge you for looking at it, racking it or test driving with you. I think that everything we did was on the up and up and you were treated very well.  Most people get more upset when we have to tell them there vehicle needs several hundred dollars worth of work, not when we tell them there is nothing that needs addressed at this time.

DN
DAVID N.
04/18/2016
replace the clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing
The clutch was replaced 4 years ago and the throw out bearing was making noise. 5 Star was able to warranty the clutch kit and I paid for the labor. Roughly one week later the throw out bearing is making the same noise and they have to redo the clutch installation. A similar noise is occurring however it may be the water pump. Disappointing as this has been the case with 5 star on major repairs - the vehicle o=is brought back several times until it is fixed.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 04/18/2016

David and I spoke Monday morning and he let me know that he had dropped his vehicle off at a shop closer to his work to have the timing and water pump replaced. I let him know that we felt terrible that the clutch had failed after we had warrantied it out and that is why we had installed a throw out bearing from the dealer free of charge, to prevent any further clutch problems. We feel that we did do everything possible to remedy the situation by warranting a part 4 years after the fact and installing for free a dealer item. We look foreward to hearing from David after the timing and water pump replacement as he promised to let us know if that takes care of all of his noise.

AG
Abitha G.
01/20/2016 Category: Service
Abitha said she is highly disappointed with this business. When the vehicle was brought back for repairs it was not fixed properly and is still leaking. She said she is not happy.

01/20/2016 Category: Service
Abitha said they are experiencing the same problem 3 months after the repair was made by this business. She has called them but has not received a call back.
Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 01/25/2016

Abitha,
 I am sorry you are having problems, but you aren't having the same problem that you came in with. When you brought your vehicle to us it had to be towed in due to a blown motor. We give you the option of purchasing a remanned motor with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty or a used motor that carries a 30 day warranty from the junkyard. You decided on the used motor. We installed the used motor and you have been driving it. When you came back 3 months later with a leak, we checked it and found that the valve cover gaskets are leaking oil. I would not consider this the same problem as 3 months previous. When we purchase a used motor from the junkyard the valve covers are on the motor and we do not remove them. They are part of the motor. I am sorry you are having a problem with that. If you will come back by our Winchester store we will help you out on the labor side of the repair.

Area Manager

Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 01/29/2016

Abitha we fixed the oil leak you had. It is not leaking. When you brought it in for the oil leak we topped off all your fluids. Your washer fluid was completley empty. We filled it up. You are telling us over the phone that something is leaking that is blue. That is most likely your washer fluid. It is blue. Oil is not blue. We have asked you to bring it back to let us look but you haven't.  We can't tell what it is over the phone but the only blue fluid in your vehicle is washer fluid we put in as a courtesy. You purchased a used engine. You keep saying you are coming back for the same problem. None of the problems you have talked about are the same problem. We fixed a transmission leak for free that has nothing to do with the engine we installed. We fixed the oil leak out of warranty for cost of parts. You all have been rude to my employees and keep finding things wrong with your vehicle that have nothing to do with the job we have done. If you want a new vehicle you would need to trade that one in on a new vehicle. The reciept plainly stated that it was a used engine with a 30 day warranty. You were also told that in the beginning when we told you it was best to go with a new motor. You chose to go with the used engine after we explained all the risk of a used engine to you. We also told you what the difference was in the warranties. You are not telling the truth on these articles when you do them. I hope you know that that is defamation of charactor.

You can reach me at 744-4054 or 231-5750
Dean

IL
IAN L.
10/30/2015
Problem not fixed...again
Great people and I love going there but Ive had my car worked on 3 times in the past 2 months trying to get this whining sound out of my drivetrain and each time has been $150-200 but still have not fixed the sound. I will be returning soon once again.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 11/02/2015

The first time the customer came in was for a complete inspection of the vehicle where we did replace various components of the steering and suspension systems among other things, most of this through his aftermarket warranty company. At this time there was no mention of a noise from the customer. He returned about a month later complaining of a noise and at that time we diagnosed a passenger front wheel bearing and stated that we may need to also replace the driver front bearing. He returned a week later to have the passenger front bearing replaced and at that time the driver side was not making any noise. We look foreward to working through this with the customer at their earliest convenience.

LV
LYNN V.
Nissan Sentra
10/29/2015
5 trips
Came to Five Star with an antifreeze leak and overheating engine. They replaced the radiator and hoses. Returned 4 times with the same problem. They did minor adjustments then a new water pump. The water pump had been replaced the month before by a different garage. They gave me parts free but charged me labot. Finally this last time they replaced the radiator free of charge. I really hope that this fixes the problem. Five times for one problem is really ridiculous. I will never come back.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 10/30/2015

The first time the customer brough her vehicle in for a coolant related problem was 10-30-2014 and requested a thermostat replacement saying that another shop had told her that thermostat is bad, we replaced it per customer request. On 6-9-2015 customer came in complaining of overheating, found radiator was leaking, replaced radiator and both hoses that were soft, returned in 8-18-2015 for a coolant leak, we installed new hose clamps , topped off fluids and performed a pressure test for free, all checked out well, on 9-9-2015 we replaced her radiator cap. On 9-18-2015 customer returned for a coolant leak, water pump was leaking, we received ok to do work and once we were almost done customer informed us they were going to take it back to the other shop that had done the water pump previously, since we were almost done we warrantied pump as a loss to ourselves and only charged labor time to the customer. At this time we also warrantied the thermostat. On 10-27-2015 customer returned and reequested we replace the radiator which we warrantied out, although no leaks were found. At this time it was noted that someone had messed with the radiator since the last time we had installed it since the transmission cooler lines that connect to the radiator were smashed, the radiator had mismatched bolts and was also missing bolts. The technician replaced these. I feel that we have worked with her throughout various circumstances and problems. While it is true that these have all been cooling system problems, they have been individual in nature and in no way neglect by shop or owner. Unfortunately it is common that when one part of a system fails, once the system is again working under full pressure it will look for the next weakest spot, which is what appears to have happened to her 2003 Sentra. We value her business and the relationship we have had with her over the years and hope that she will reconsider her rating of our services and continue to work with us in the future.

Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 11/02/2015

Lynn,
 We ahave tried to get in contact with you over the problems with your cooling system. We have not heard from you. I want to make sure that you are satisfied with our shop and the repairs to your vehicle. Please let me know what I can do to help in this situation. Our goal at 5 Star is customer satisfaction. I will do everything I can to help you and make sure you are happy. Please call me at your earliest convienance.

Dean

JOE W.
Mitsubishi Eclipse
06/14/2015
Dean reached out to me concerning my recent experience at 5 star. I agree with the fact that you all called and talked to me about having a problem getting the axles off. No biggie, I told Elaine i would buy new ones and have those installed, hoping to make the process easier to complete. Knowing the clutch was burnt up to begin with, I wish that the pivot ball and clutch fork were noticed as being worn before the transmission was reinstalled. Regarding the discount(savings), Dean stated the prices(on the parts) were reduced before being put on the invoice. Thus, the only discount I saw on the invoice was the 10% off. So the majority of the almost $300 in savings, i received, went to Enterprise. However, I will add, my car seems to be running fine and better than it was before I brought it to 5star. Lastly, I appreciate the time/effort Dean took reply to my review and to reach out to me over the phone.

06/14/2015
Disappointed(with a capital D)
Been going to 5star for years, however my most recent visit there was unacceptable. Received a quote to install a clutch kit(8hrs + parts). Made an appointment and dropped my car off at 8am Tuesday June 2nd. My car was finally finished and ready for pick up the following Wednesday, June 10th(8 days later). Since my car wasn't ready during the same week I had to get a rental car for 5 days(Sat. June 6th-Wed. June 10th). I guess for my inconvenience they applied a 10% off coupon(that is available on their website). The discount didn't even cover the full cost of me having to get a rental car for 5 days. Needless to say, this was not a very pleasant experience.
Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 06/15/2015

Joe,
 I am sorry that you were not happy with our service. I realize that you understood the clutch job to take 8 hours. That is barring any complications. Both of your axles were froze in your hub assemblies. We called and talked to you about this. We tried every way that we could to get them out without damage but they would not come free at all. We spent several extra hours trying to remove the axles. We replaced your clutch which was completly burnt up. After replacement, your new clutch would not release completly, we then found that your pivot ball and clutch fork were worn causing your previous clutch to burn up. We had to remove the transmission again (at no cost to you) to replace these parts. These parts are dealer only items, so we had to order them from the dealer. They did not have them in stock so they had to be ordered. This is something we can not control. It took 3 days to get the parts. We had your car back together the same day the parts came in.  Yes we did give you 10% off, but that is after we dropped the prices on the ticket. You actually recieved almost $300.00 in savings between us marking the ticket down and taking 10% off. We did this to try our best to take care of you for something that was not our fault and was beyond our control. I don't feel that you are being fair to us with the review that you left for us. My phone line is always open for customers to talk to me. I will always do my best to handle your concerns. I want you to understand everything that went on during the time your vehicle was in our care. I also want you to feel that you got a good price for the work that we performed. Please call me if you still have concerns about the repair on your vehicle. I will ask that you please re-evaluate the score you have given us. I do not believe that we deserve that low score.