Overall Rating 2.6666667/5Overall Rating 2.6666667/5rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667rating 2.6666667
Overall Rating 1.6666667/5rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667rating 1.6666667

DE
Daniel E.
Paris, KY
Chevrolet Pickup
04/19/2019 Category: Service
Daniel said the business did alright, and he would recommend this business for service.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 05/13/2019

TThank you for speaking with me about your visit.

Brad M.
Louisville, KY
10/20/2018 Category: Service
Brad said that the facility charged him for three gallons of coolant when his radiator only holds less than two gallons. There was follow up, and a refund.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 10/25/2018

Again I am sorry for the mistake, and did everything in my power to correct the situation. I hope to get the chance to make it up to you in the future. We strive for honest, excellent service here at 5 Star but nobody is perfect 100% of the time and occasionally mistakes are made. If we are at fault we will own up to it.

Paris, KY
07/10/2018
5 Star, Lexington, Review
The turn around for the oil change was excellent. The car was dropped off at 8:30. I was not called before lunch time as to the status. I had to call to find out.

I have not received the promised estimates as promised for additional work found during the oil change.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 07/10/2018

Dear Valued Customer

I am sorry you are not happy with our recent customer service, I can honestly tell you normally it is much better. 5-Star has recently switched phone / internet providers and we are unfortunately receiving poor service our selves, we currently are trying to meet our customers needs with only 1 of 3 phone lines, no fax line, and at best occasional internet. Please accept my apologies and give us a second chance to show you the true custom service we offer. If you have any other questions or concerns please contact me.

Sincerely Ryan D

MEL G.
04/19/2018
$55 is too much for a simple oil change.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 04/19/2018

I'm sorry you feel that way, your vehicle takes a specific 0w20 high detergent oil that we normally sell for $59.99, if you wish to use a cheaper oil we can certainly accommodate you. Be aware using an oil not specified for your vehicle may void warranties and or cause engine damage.  If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact me. Sincerely Ryan

GD
GAVIN D.
BMW 328i
02/20/2018
not what i thought
Was given a quote over the phone. Should have taken their name on the phone and that was my fault. Ended up costing more at the register. Generally, 5 Star has given me great service and at the lowest price in Lexington. I'll be back but will make sure to get my price confirmed when I drop off the vehicle.
Ryan D., Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 02/24/2018

I will be investigating your complaint shortly to see what exactly transpired, we may possibly be able to come to a solution that will make you feel better about your last visit. I thank you for your honest review. I will be in contact with you soon.

GG
George G.
Kentucky
01/06/2018 Category: Service
George said the customer service he received was rudeness.

NM
Nicholas M.
Germantown, MD
10/20/2017
Major work was completed, but management and communication should be improved
My pickup was overheating due to coolant loss; I could see that it was from around the engine and checking the oil at the fill port, there appeared to be coolant in there. I was from out of town and stranded. I called Five Star on a recommendation for good work on small jobs, described this problem and that it was likely a blown head gasket or even a cracked engine, did they do this kind of work if this were the problem? Reply was yes.

So I had my car in Monday morning after opening, about 7:45 AM. From my experience, oil change garages are first in, first out, but garages that handle a variety of problems including major repairs will diagnose in the morning, call customers before lunch with prices and options, send out their parts runner at lunch, and do repairs in the afternoon. I hadn’t gotten a call by 12:30 PM, so I called Five Star and was told they would look at it after lunch. In the afternoon, I was told that I needed a timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, timing chain adjustment, and it would be recommended that I change the timing chain and water pump while this work was being done. The minimum would be $800 or with everything $1300, that it could be done by the next day. To me that was good news, and I authorized the $1300 job.

But then Tuesday, after further diagnostics, I was told that there was antifreeze in the exhaust and coming through the spark plugs, and that I had at least a blown head gasket among other issues, and a replacement engine was my best option. So now it was Tuesday with a day lost and we were back to what I had told Five Star to begin with. But I can understand a heavy work load and a desire to fix at the least expense. Also, a couple of options for engines had been researched, and an order could be put in right away, that it would likely come in Wednesday, from Ohio, but Thursday morning by the latest. I authorized the engine and asked that they see if they could expedite things. Wednesday, no call from Five Star so I checked with them, and no engine had arrived, it would be Thursday. Thursday, no call from Five Star, so I checked. I was told that they had made a mistake in the earlier communication, that the engine would be due Thursday, and Friday morning at the latest, but I could expect it Friday. Friday afternoon I called Five Star around 3 PM, and they said the engine hadn’t arrived, but it would be there by the end of the day. Was Five Star following up on the order, keeping track of the status? I was told that if there were problems with getting the engine, the supplier would have called, so it was surely on track for Friday and the mechanic would begin preparing my car to receive it.

Monday, no call from Five Star, so in the early afternoon I checked with them. I was told that the engine had arrived that day, but the mechanic “decided not to show up.” Five Star said they were understaffed and were spending effort on other customers “who are stranded just like you”. That’s pretty candid information, but I had already been stuck for a week and was worried that they only had this skill one mechanic deep. Five Star said I would get my car back by Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon I called, and they were working on it, but there were issues with the wiring harness, so I wouldn’t get it until Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon I got my car back, and it runs well.

What went well: my car was ultimately fixed, so the skill does exist at Five Star.

What didn’t go so well:
Five Star could improve their management efficiency and communication, particularly for a major task. Maybe the experience isn’t there for scheduling big tasks? I find it hard to believe that other customers had been stranded “like me”, that is, for over a week. I would have thought there would be some sensitivity to that. I was spending extra time off away from home and taking off from work that I hadn’t expected. Also, why wasn’t Five Star doing a better job tracking the status of the engine? What if it didn’t show up for three weeks, would you shrug your shoulders and wait? You can track a two–dollar package across the country, but not an engine in the next state up that is worth over a thousand dollars? It is important to follow up with orders, by talking to someone, instead of just waiting on them. Sometimes they are waiting on you for something. Sometimes there is a problem that you wouldn’t learn without asking, and could then find other options. Sometimes they aren’t aware that this is your holdup and should be moved up in schedule. I would also have appreciated better communication to me on status. I sometimes got somewhat different stories. The first time I asked about the engine status, I was told they can’t track it like a UPS package, but later, there was an implication that there was some follow up on this, and then later, that they simply wait and hadn’t checked. Also, later, I was told by a different person that the engine came late versus the mechanic not coming in. I feel like I was being led along with stories to cover the fact that I was being neglected. Allowance had been made for delays, but they burned up this contingency on other things, then expected me to understand one new problem after another. One or two hiccups can happen with a job or an order to delay things, but this was a pattern, and maybe they sort of gave up on me to keep all the other customers pleased. But meanwhile, I felt like my car was held hostage; I had driven it in but after a few days it was too late to take it somewhere else: parts removed, money committed, and a string of unending delays. I really felt trapped. I hope the feedback is appreciated: don’t give up on a customer who has already been stuck for a couple of days, but redouble your efforts, track your orders, and take the initiative in communicating with customers and be honest. Bad news is like a dead fish: the longer you wait, the worse it stinks.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 10/23/2017

Nick,
We are so sorry you feel that you had a bad experience, we know you were from out of town and that makes you be on a time schedule. However, we are glad that after getting the ok from you on the timing and beginning the teardown we found the real source of your problem, therein saving you a worse breakdown -down the road. Of coarse this new revelation did hold back your repairs, as we went back and forth with you over engine prices and warranties. After recieving the ok from you and down payment we can order the engine. As i mentioned to you we sometimes assume this engine is already crated and ready to go but may still need to be pulled from a vehicle (as it was a used motor) The only miscommunication was when I thought Wednesday was Thursday so I was one day off when I told you within the next two days (which i clarified to you the next day over the phone) There were daily calls to you that were never returned (a house phone number since you didn't have a cell) but you would show up  or call at the shop and we would let you know the status and you seemed ok. I understand that being stranded in another state with a vehicle that needs something so big as an engine can be disconcerting, however as any shop can attest to, we really have no control over when something arrives, especially something from another state. All we could do was make calls so that they could tell us basically that it would arrive in a few days. We weren't buying it off ebay or Amazon where they would be giving us a tracking number, we purchased it from a reputable dealer in Louisville who had a source in another state. We have no way of accessing their personal information. And no, we would not make a customer wait weeks and weeks, most people understand that the normal time for an engine replacement is 3-4 days. The mechanic that initially looked at your vehicle did have an emergency however we gave it to another technition. Unfortunately your engine did not arrive until Monday and the whole wiring harness was cut on it which added time for the technition to have to rewire the whole thing from your original harness. We also wanted to test drive your vehicle well and recheck it many times before we turned it over to you since you had a long drive ahead of you. I'm sorry that you felt trapped, it was in your situation a series of misfortunate events.  however it could have been much worse, considering the damage we found in your vehicle. I wish we could have control of all situations, especially in a situation like yours where time is of the essence, and I am sorry for that. I do appreciate the feedback, and we will take everything into consideration. However we were honest with you in all things, unfortunately no one likes news that they dont want to hear, and sometimes that affects our reaction. We apologize for all of your delays. More than anything I am glad that your vehicle is running well and you were able to make it home without any problems.

CD
CRYSTAL D.
GMC Envoy
04/14/2017
Had to have my vehicle towed back to the shop.
When I picked up my vehicle, it was making a funny noise. I immediately returned to the shop. They drove it and said it was fine, just some air trapped. On Saturday we noticed the antifreeze was leaking out. The car had to be towed back to the shop on Monday. They said the thermostat that they put in was faulty. They did fix it at no additional cost. It was just a pain to be without my vehicle again. They were also very defensive about the situation.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 04/14/2017

I am so sorry you felt that way! You had been informed if the problem was not related to anything you had done here you could be charged a tow, and I know that was what bothered you. That is our policy, as it is, it was related as there was a defective part involved.  We had  your vehicle  towed in free of charge, the defective part replaced, and a free oil change was also given to smooth things over. I feel bad that this situation occured, unfortunately parts can sometimes be defective, however this is why we offer a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty with our work. We understand how important it is for everyone to have a good running vehicle every day. We apologize again for any inconvenience incurred.

WH
Whitney H.
03/15/2017 Category: Service
Whitney said she took her vehicle into the business to get her power steering and transmission repaired. Since the repair, the steering wheel has been very hard to turn and her transmission is still acting up. She has spent over a thousands dollars on the repairs she has gotten done and they have not resolved the issues. She brought her vehicle back into the business with her concerns. They said she may have hit something, which could be causing her vehicle to act up. She is quite sure she hasn't hit anything so the vehicle should not be acting up.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 03/16/2017

WHEN WHITNEY RETURNED WE RACKED HER VEHICLE AND SHOWED HER THAT THE DRIVER FRONT SWAY BAR BUSHING FELL OUT, THE BAR WAS LAYING ON BOTTOM OF LINK, WE HAD RECOMMENDED THAT SHE REPLACE THAT AT AN EARLIER DATE BUT THE WORK WAS DENIED AT THE TIME. THE POWER STEERING RACK AND PINION BUSHING WAS HIT, CROSSMEMBER WAS ALSO HIT, THE RACK WAS LAYING ON THE CROSSMEMBER, PART OF THE BUSHING IS GONE, METAL PIECE WHERE BUSHING MOUNTS IS GONE. THE VEHICLE DEFINATELY HIT SOMETHING AFTER IT WAS WORKED ON, IT WAS DRIVEN 20 MILES FROM WHEN IT HAD LEFT.

PB
PAM B.
Volkswagen New Beetle
02/27/2017
2006 VW bug
I was disappointed with the service this time. Usually, we feel like 5 Star is affordable and wouldn't do any unnecessary work but we were charged $59 for an oil change. When I called to make the appointment, I was told it would be $29. When I called back to find out why the price was so high, I was told I should've used a coupon. Would like to have been told this prior so I wouldn't have been overcharged.
5 Star S. from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 02/27/2017

Pam,
Per our phone discussion last week it was explained that unfortunately on your particular vehicle it calls for a canister filter which is more expensive that a regular twist on filter. Most, but not all 5 qt semi synthetic oil changes are $29.99. When you called back I explained this to you and said that I would have applied a coupon to lower the price for the misunderstanding. You were not overcharged, only quoted a general price. Unfortunately a quote is just that, a quote, and that is why I would have been willing to give you a coupon. I also mentioned that I would look for a lower price for that filter to stock for your next visit.  I am very sorry for the misunderstanding and will be sure that your next visit will be more economical!

BL
Bill L.
01/19/2016 Category: Service
Bill said he would recommend this business for service.

PJ
PATRICIA J.
10/22/2015
Extras added
When i came to pick up my car they tell me that I needed air filter and that They had put it on They should have contacted me before they did this.

CHARLES C.
Salt Lick, KY
Honda Accord
08/15/2015
slow service
Dropped car off at 8 am Monday and car wasn't ready until noon on Thursday. I authorized work on Tuesday afternoon. Brakes and alignment aren't maintenance which requires special order parts. This slow service was out of character for them. Usually they are very speedy.
Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 08/18/2015

Charles,
  I am sorry for the slower than expected service. You are right, this is not our norm. Sometimes we do get some vehicles that things don't go our way and we get backed up. If you will give me a call or stop by and see me, I will see what we can do to make sure you are happy.  Feel free to contact me anytime that you are not completely satisfied. I will do everything in my power to make sure you are always happy.

Dean Bartholow
Area Manager
859-231-5750
859-744-4054

Salley B.
BMW 328i
04/27/2015 Category: Service
Salley said this business did good work in the past, but the last serviced performed for him did not meet his expectations. Due to this he would not recommend the business for service.
Dean B., Area Manager from 5 Star Auto Repair & Exhaust Of Lexington responded on 05/18/2015

Salley I am so sorry you had a bad experiance. Customer service and happiness is my number 1 goal. Without customers I have no job. Please get in touch with me so I can maybe fix the situation. I promise I will do my best to do what I can to make you happy. I value your business very much and would like to have the oppertunity to fix this if you would give me the chance.

Dean