Roy M.
Chevrolet El Camino
02/12/2018 Category: Service
Roy said the staff had his vehicle for a year and one month. They were supposed to put a new engine in it, for a little over $4000. They decided the engine was too big, so they put a more powerful engine in it, which isn't what he wanted. He had asked for a smaller engine. Then they said he needed a new transmission, which he agreed to. His bill ended up being over $10,000 and his vehicle kept having issues. The staff kept telling him his vehicle was ready, and when he went to pick it up they were gone. They kept making excuses.

Steve C.
Reno, NV
Volkswagen Jetta
04/16/2016 Category: Service
Steve said the business overcharged for service and didn't correct the problem with this vehicle. For the reasons stated he would not recommend the business for service.
Mariana H. from Fred's Wrenchouse responded on 04/19/2016

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your input. We strive hard to provide top-notch service and hire experienced mechanics and use the best, most high-quality parts. We stand by our work and have a proven reputation for honesty and integrity. We reviewed our records and see that we made some recommendations but that you did not want to move forward with the recommended service so we attempted to find some other possible solutions. We always try to work with our customers to come up with solutions and recommendations in these situations and we apologize if this did not resolve to your satisfaction.

Best regards,
Freds Wrenchouse

RAY B.
03/03/2016
Mechanic left oil stains inside of my car
Whoever did replaced my oil did not take their gloves off when they parked my car outside of the shop. Now I have hand sized oil stains to look at while I drive my car. will not be returning to this business,

Jared S.
Mazda B2300
02/25/2016 Category: Service
Jared said he feels like they overcharged him for the service he received. He paid them $300 to switch out some hoses and now his vehicle cannot pass the inspection. He would not recommend for reasons stated.

Dixon S.
06/12/2018 Category: Service
Dixon said he was told by the staff that he would be paying a certain amount and when he went back, the amount was higher than what they first agreed on.

JOSEPH F.
San Francisco, CA
05/30/2016
Expensive service with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude
I bought a used truck and took it here for an overall inspection. When I came back the next day, the cost of the inspection was fair but the cost of the repairs he was recommending was exorbitant. "Probably more tan you paid for that thing." he said. Over time this remark has not sat well with me. It's a sort of presumptuous thing to say. I'll give two stars because the work was fast. Oh haha I almost forgot. Two weeks after the inspection I threw the timing belt, when I saw the belt it was obviously worn and loose, and the inspection at Fred's did not catch this. That was awfully frustrating. I didn't like the service, nope.

Joseph G.
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan
10/14/2020 Category: Service
Joseph said he will be returning due to the tire pressure light being on after the repairs. He appreciates the technicians getting him in on such short notice. The cost of the checkup cost more than he usually pays.

Michael S.
Oakland, CA
Subaru Legacy
09/30/2020 Category: Service
Michael said they seemed average.

ROBERT B.
Dodge Charger
03/10/2018
Expensive ,
Cost to much

LF
LYNA F.
05/27/2017
Not sure if I'm getting value
I've been to Fred's Wrenchouse at least 3 times. Each time the rep at the desk has been professional and seemingly knowledgeable. But this last time, I was given a quote of $350, to which I ask "is that for everything?" and was told "yes." When it came time to pay, I was told that it was closer to $420. Eventually, the price was knocked down to $390, but I'm still annoyed.

More importantly, this latest repair was to fix a loud rumbling issue that was supposedly repaired a year ago (diagnosed as an engine mount problem ; $650). Now, I'm told that it's a different problem involving the right axle. Fine, this could be so. But after the repair, the rumbling is still there. I have no clue whether the axle had anything to do with the rumbling, whether it was still the engine mount, or whether it's a totally different problem. I've lost trust in this shop.

Jack W.
Berkeley, CA
Saab 9-5
04/23/2016 Category: Service
Jack said the service he received was less than the best.

10/10/2020
Great work!
Great staff, services above average, reasonable rates. My car is 2001 model, and it runs smoothly after the tuneup.

WM
Walter M.
Saturn VUE
10/09/2020 Category: Service
Walter said he dropped it off in the morning, until he called back at 3pm it had not even been touched yet, then when they got back to him he had to wait around for it to get fixed. The fellow on the phone was very pleasant, very professional, told him everything was good and the cost, but it was a 3 or 4 man facility and he thought they should have had it looked at as soon as they could in case it needed parts, which it did. They did a very good job, he took it to Oakland and it drove absolutely great and he absolutely recommends them.

LP
Larissa P.
09/19/2020 Category: Service
Larissa said the service was pretty good at this business but it was kind of pricey.

Anthony B.
07/31/2020 Category: Service
Anthony said the service was good.