Roy M.
Chevrolet El Camino
02/12/2018 Category: Service
Roy said the staff had his vehicle for a year and one month. They were supposed to put a new engine in it, for a little over $4000. They decided the engine was too big, so they put a more powerful engine in it, which isn't what he wanted. He had asked for a smaller engine. Then they said he needed a new transmission, which he agreed to. His bill ended up being over $10,000 and his vehicle kept having issues. The staff kept telling him his vehicle was ready, and when he went to pick it up they were gone. They kept making excuses.

Steve C.
Reno, NV
Volkswagen Jetta
04/16/2016 Category: Service
Steve said the business overcharged for service and didn't correct the problem with this vehicle. For the reasons stated he would not recommend the business for service.
Mariana H. from Fred's Wrenchouse responded on 04/19/2016

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your input. We strive hard to provide top-notch service and hire experienced mechanics and use the best, most high-quality parts. We stand by our work and have a proven reputation for honesty and integrity. We reviewed our records and see that we made some recommendations but that you did not want to move forward with the recommended service so we attempted to find some other possible solutions. We always try to work with our customers to come up with solutions and recommendations in these situations and we apologize if this did not resolve to your satisfaction.

Best regards,
Freds Wrenchouse

RAY B.
03/03/2016
Mechanic left oil stains inside of my car
Whoever did replaced my oil did not take their gloves off when they parked my car outside of the shop. Now I have hand sized oil stains to look at while I drive my car. will not be returning to this business,

Jared S.
Mazda B2300
02/25/2016 Category: Service
Jared said he feels like they overcharged him for the service he received. He paid them $300 to switch out some hoses and now his vehicle cannot pass the inspection. He would not recommend for reasons stated.

Dixon S.
06/12/2018 Category: Service
Dixon said he was told by the staff that he would be paying a certain amount and when he went back, the amount was higher than what they first agreed on.

JOSEPH F.
San Francisco, CA
05/30/2016
Expensive service with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude
I bought a used truck and took it here for an overall inspection. When I came back the next day, the cost of the inspection was fair but the cost of the repairs he was recommending was exorbitant. "Probably more tan you paid for that thing." he said. Over time this remark has not sat well with me. It's a sort of presumptuous thing to say. I'll give two stars because the work was fast. Oh haha I almost forgot. Two weeks after the inspection I threw the timing belt, when I saw the belt it was obviously worn and loose, and the inspection at Fred's did not catch this. That was awfully frustrating. I didn't like the service, nope.

ROBERT B.
Dodge Charger
03/10/2018
Expensive ,
Cost to much

LF
LYNA F.
05/27/2017
Not sure if I'm getting value
I've been to Fred's Wrenchouse at least 3 times. Each time the rep at the desk has been professional and seemingly knowledgeable. But this last time, I was given a quote of $350, to which I ask "is that for everything?" and was told "yes." When it came time to pay, I was told that it was closer to $420. Eventually, the price was knocked down to $390, but I'm still annoyed.

More importantly, this latest repair was to fix a loud rumbling issue that was supposedly repaired a year ago (diagnosed as an engine mount problem ; $650). Now, I'm told that it's a different problem involving the right axle. Fine, this could be so. But after the repair, the rumbling is still there. I have no clue whether the axle had anything to do with the rumbling, whether it was still the engine mount, or whether it's a totally different problem. I've lost trust in this shop.

Jack W.
Berkeley, CA
Saab 9-5
04/23/2016 Category: Service
Jack said the service he received was less than the best.

DAVID P.
MINI Cooper Hardtop
08/18/2019
Fred's Baled Me Out of a Jam
I had a self-inflicted car problem when a DIY job went terribly wrong, stranding me, and making me miss work. I had the car towed to Fred's (who had worked on it once before). They got to it the same day and properly re-did the job that I botched. Then they only charged me for what the original maintenance would have cost - I expected a "stupid-fee". They were very professional and didn't kid me about it too badly either!

STEFFEN B.
Mazda MX-5 Miata
06/07/2019
Great service, but price a bit high
Great experience. Dropped off a thirty year old Miata that had trouble starting on Sunday night without announcing it. I feared that not having an appointment would delay the work. Called on Monday morning, added a few small repair requests, and they got to the diagnostics right away. Tuesday afternoon the car started again properly, the oil was changed, the air vents washed out, and the window cranks moved smoothly again. All done well. Communication was pleasant and effective.

What makes me take off the fifth star is the pricing. I replaced the gas pump in the past myself and got the part for $55 at O'Reilly's. Fred's charged $200 for the pump plus $100 for a "used pump assy", not clear what that even is. I expected a shop to charge maybe $100 for the $55 part, but not $300 (all prices excluding labor).

Donald B.
Subaru Legacy Sedan
05/23/2019 Category: Service
Donald said he is very pleased to have found this business and a mechanic he can trust here. His last vehicle needed a new clutch, he asked him to take pictures, and he did. He was pleased to have that happen, and he was able to view the pictures. Fred checked his vehicle out. He added he had asked Fred if this particular vehicle had a certain device present, and he forgot to ask the staff member when he picked it up if that had been done. He stated it might have been partially his fault for not mentioning it himself, but he thought it should have been brought up to him during the post-inspection. He really likes going there, and he will continue going there. He has gotten very good service with his other vehicle here, and this was the only little disappointment he has had with them. He said he is very impressed with Fred.

KW
KEVIN W.
03/05/2019
Engine Swap
Fred was very accommodating.

JUDIE H.
Oldsmobile Bravada
01/05/2019
Always friendly
Always friendly and have no problem answering questions in laymans terms so their customers understand

Torance B.
INFINITI EX35
10/12/2018 Category: Service
Torance said the business did a good job. They forgot to call and tell him the vehicle was done.