Dixon S.
06/12/2018 Category: Service
Dixon said he was told by the staff that he would be paying a certain amount and when he went back, the amount was higher than what they first agreed on.

ROBERT B.
Dodge Charger
03/10/2018
Expensive ,
Cost to much

Roy M.
Chevrolet El Camino
02/12/2018 Category: Service
Roy said the staff had his vehicle for a year and one month. They were supposed to put a new engine in it, for a little over $4000. They decided the engine was too big, so they put a more powerful engine in it, which isn't what he wanted. He had asked for a smaller engine. Then they said he needed a new transmission, which he agreed to. His bill ended up being over $10,000 and his vehicle kept having issues. The staff kept telling him his vehicle was ready, and when he went to pick it up they were gone. They kept making excuses.

LF
LYNA F.
05/27/2017
Not sure if I'm getting value
I've been to Fred's Wrenchouse at least 3 times. Each time the rep at the desk has been professional and seemingly knowledgeable. But this last time, I was given a quote of $350, to which I ask "is that for everything?" and was told "yes." When it came time to pay, I was told that it was closer to $420. Eventually, the price was knocked down to $390, but I'm still annoyed.

More importantly, this latest repair was to fix a loud rumbling issue that was supposedly repaired a year ago (diagnosed as an engine mount problem ; $650). Now, I'm told that it's a different problem involving the right axle. Fine, this could be so. But after the repair, the rumbling is still there. I have no clue whether the axle had anything to do with the rumbling, whether it was still the engine mount, or whether it's a totally different problem. I've lost trust in this shop.

JOSEPH F.
San Francisco, CA
05/30/2016
Expensive service with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude
I bought a used truck and took it here for an overall inspection. When I came back the next day, the cost of the inspection was fair but the cost of the repairs he was recommending was exorbitant. "Probably more tan you paid for that thing." he said. Over time this remark has not sat well with me. It's a sort of presumptuous thing to say. I'll give two stars because the work was fast. Oh haha I almost forgot. Two weeks after the inspection I threw the timing belt, when I saw the belt it was obviously worn and loose, and the inspection at Fred's did not catch this. That was awfully frustrating. I didn't like the service, nope.

Steve C.
Reno, NV
Volkswagen Jetta
04/16/2016 Category: Service
Steve said the business overcharged for service and didn't correct the problem with this vehicle. For the reasons stated he would not recommend the business for service.
Mariana H. from Fred's Wrenchouse responded on 04/19/2016

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your input. We strive hard to provide top-notch service and hire experienced mechanics and use the best, most high-quality parts. We stand by our work and have a proven reputation for honesty and integrity. We reviewed our records and see that we made some recommendations but that you did not want to move forward with the recommended service so we attempted to find some other possible solutions. We always try to work with our customers to come up with solutions and recommendations in these situations and we apologize if this did not resolve to your satisfaction.

Best regards,
Freds Wrenchouse

RAY B.
03/03/2016
Mechanic left oil stains inside of my car
Whoever did replaced my oil did not take their gloves off when they parked my car outside of the shop. Now I have hand sized oil stains to look at while I drive my car. will not be returning to this business,

Jared S.
Mazda B2300
02/25/2016 Category: Service
Jared said he feels like they overcharged him for the service he received. He paid them $300 to switch out some hoses and now his vehicle cannot pass the inspection. He would not recommend for reasons stated.

Hayward, CA
INFINITI G35 Coupe
01/21/2020
The way a business should be run...
I've moved around the country. Each time, I have researched to find a reliable, trustworthy mechanic near where I live. Since I moved to the Bay area in 2016, the one shop that meets my level of trust, honesty and intelligence are the staff that Fred had hired, and Fred himself. Anyone can buy the parts. Competence and experience are why you visit a mechanic. Unless you can do it yourself... and if you can, you are not reading this review anyway.

All you have to do is ask, "what are my options?" and you will get an honest answer. You may not be happy about it, because you love your sports car like I do mine... but the car's problems are not their fault. They are trying to help you understand a possibly complex and difficult problem... whatever the costs may be.

JONI K.
Laytonville, CA
Toyota Land Cruiser
01/16/2020
I highly recommend this shop! I will be back
I had a great experience at Fred’s Wrenchouse. They communicated very clearly, they took care of every detail that we had discussed, they quoted accurately, and they were able to get it done right away. My first experience at Fred’s was awesome. It inspired me to write a review.

PD
PATRICK D.
Oakland, CA
01/15/2020
Very busy auto shop but if you schedule in an appointment it’s no problem. They even opened up early and let me drop off the car and go before they were even set up for the day. Staff are great people. Really know their stuff and are happy to explain everything. I’ll be back for sure.

NK
Niall K.
Oakland, CA
01/08/2020 Category: Service
Niall said the business does great work and it went well. He said the work that was completed was easy to do.

KK
KAREN K.
Richmond, CA
Hyundai Tucson
01/07/2020
Great, as usual
Fred and his crew do great work at a reasonable price (great work is always worth more than average work). I can always rely on their thoroughness and proactive approach to maintenance. On top of that, Fred and his crew are really nice guys!

Marco M.
Toyota Tundra
01/06/2020 Category: Service
Spoke with Randie. She said the staff provided excellent service.

VK