Oldsmobile Bravada
03/30/2021
Shouldn't do entire car eval for 100 if u don't want one
I was disappointed. I wanted an est to fix 1 thing and couldn't with out 100 dollar eval on entire car which I already knew. Some of the info was not accurate.

SP
Suzanne P.
03/20/2021
Terrible service
I am a new Madison resident, I work near this garage. I thought it would be a simple thing to get an oil change. I made an appointment and dropped off my car in the morning, signed a work order for 28 dollars and change. Called at 1:30 to see if it was ready, it was not. Called again at 4:45 because they close at 5pm, the CSR said she was leaving and they needed to keep my car overnight, "the oil change is done but we aren't done with all the other stuff". I went over immediately and got my car, the oil change was $94 and change. "Why are you so mad?" she asked. Never again.
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 03/22/2021

Suzanne
Appreciate your taking the time to reply to our Reveiw.
I apologize we do not meet your expectations.
We wish you better service in the future.

James L.
Honda Civic Si
03/02/2021
Hidden fees
I asked them to use an air filter I brought in, they apparantly did not get the message even after confirmation. Charged me $259 for one muffler (they go for 80-120) and was informed that is their mark up, then I was charged another 20, just for them to charge my battery when they made it sound fee-less, oh we will just plug it in and brush down the terminals, only got my money back for that because I caught it and called, not a wonder they were rushing me to sign the waver and leave before I saw everything. Last time I came in for a simple oil and air filter change, they changed the oil, and then told me I NEEDED a new air filter. I should have never given them another chance, no flippin' really, way to not do your job. Overcharged by 150, only getting 20 of that back. Not only am I disgusted. I will be warning people not to give you business.

TK
Thaddeus K.
Morrisonville, WI
Pontiac Firebird
09/07/2020
High prices and incomplete service.
The only good part was I was able to get in when I wasn't my schedule time slot.

AF
Anthony F.
Chevrolet Silverado SS
08/27/2020
Did not meet expectations
Overall feeling like the customer service was lacking, especially from the lady with the teal blue hair. Was told my truck would be looked at and possibly repaired same day but by 3 o’clock in the afternoon I have not been contacted. I don’t mind if service takes longer, but it would be nice for someone to offer a realistic expectations and follow through on offers made. Simple phone call to explain the situation would have made me feel much better. Did my truck get fixed? Yes. Do I feel great about the $700 I spent? Not really. Would I recommend the shop to a friend? Doubtful. Plenty of options out there.

Waunakee, WI
Pontiac G6
08/03/2020
They charged me 8 hours time to look at my car. Did zero work.
They charged me 8 hours of work to simply look at my car. I don’t believe it was even in their garage; they looked at it from the parking lot.
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 08/10/2020

We appreciate your taking the time to give your review.
Something must have gone wrong as we did not charge 8 hours on Invoice # 170443.
The total invoice was $213.37 and was completed on August 3, 2020.
Please remove your vehicle at your earliest convenince.
If we can be of any futher assistance please let me know, Rick 608-444-0509

John G.
Mercury Mountaineer
06/09/2020
Unscrupulous Car Repair
Brought the car in for a new serpentine belt. Genin’s broke the bolt into the engine block for the harmonic balancer and took no responsibility. Blamed everyone else. Charged me a fortune to tow my car away!
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 06/10/2020

John
I appreciate your taking the time to write a Review on the Service & Repair you received at Genin's. While we all understand things do not always work out they way we would prefer,I thought you would have appreciated the time and efforts.  Over 10 days working with the folks that sold you the vehicle and the Aftermarket Warranty Company involved, as well the use of our Loaner vehicle 10 days No Charge.
I wish you more success with your next Service Provider.

03/18/2020
Spendy
Its close and convenient. But it's more expensive than other places I've tried.

03/07/2020
Charged me $150 & nothing wrong with my car
Took my car in because check engine light was flashing. Ran a computer diagnostic, drove it around the block and charged me a lot of money
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 03/10/2020

Appreciate your taking the time to respong.

Poynette, WI
12/17/2019
Tests first written estimate later
I knew I needed brake service so I made an appointment. I dropped my car off when they opened. I appreciate that they had a loaner for me to go to work. There was verbal o.k. to do brake work if less than $300. I received the inspection results at noon. It found I needed suspension and major brake work done. It also found a coolant leak. It would be another $50 to find the leak. Due to the age, condition, and mileage of my car I declined the coolant test and all repairs. I decided to put money towards a newer car instead. I felt like the inspection was honest and pictures from the inspection were helpful.
I would suggest to Genin’s to offer reimbursement for the tests if the customer has the work done by you.
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 01/06/2020

Appreciate your business and response.

Chevrolet Cruze
11/04/2019
Fast and Convenient,Not Returning
Pro’s:

1) I called in the AM with a few issues, and Genins was able to get my car in right away, and done by that evening (four new tires, an oil change, and a replacement windshield wiper linkage that broke)

2) Very convenient location (I work very close, can drop my car off and walk to work/walk back when done)

Cons:

1) Aggressive sales approach to communicating vehicle issues/estimates. I’ve spent a lot of $$ on repairs and Genins - car repairs are often pricey, but as a non-vehicle-repair-expert, I want to walk away from a mechanic feeling taken care of and comfortable, and I did not feel that way with the last $1,000+ repair I had at here. I felt rushed and pushed into the sale.

2) Communication between employees and customer service was very poor during my last experience here. I shared with the employee I worked with that I had a 530pm appointment, and as long as my car was done by 5p I’d be good (this was much earlier in the day). Arrived at 5p to pick up my car, and waited until almost 520pm, with two employees standing right at the register. When I finally asked how long it would be for my car, it turns out it had been ready for some time and the payment paperwork was right in front of them. I missed my 5:30pm appointment for no reason and lost out on money that I paid for said appointment.

Even though my employer is within walking distance, I will no longer be going to Genins or referring friends/family there. Paying for convenience is not worth having an overall negative experience.
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 11/21/2019

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. This is not the norm here.
Seems we got caught with our pants happens to all sometime.
I made multiple attempts to contact for an option to take the sting out of this poor service experience.
We wish you the best.
And hope your next Service Center provides the service you expect.

Again Thank you

EB
Ed B.
08/24/2019
Non-existent communication
10am “appointment” for an oil change, and my car was still untouched at 2pm, when I was told it would be ready, or close. Finally got it back at 4. But the reason I will be hesitant to return is that I received NO communication about the delay — no call, no text, nothing. Disappointing that I’ll have to go elsewhere next time since Genins is so convenient, and I’m a strong believer in supporting local businesses.
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 09/09/2019

Ed
Appreciate your calling me back.
We will working on prividing your better service in the future.
Again Thank you!

EC
Echo C.
08/24/2019
Loss of Trust 2
I had submitted a review in response to a text I received, but I will summarize and corroborate the essence of that review. Since my preferred repair shop in Cambridge had closed last year when the owner sold the business and retired, I have been searching for a replacement repair shop. I have had repairs done at Genins in the recent past, most notably a new radiator and hoses with coolant flush earlier this year. The repairs were more costly than expected, but it was done fairly competently. I decided to bring in my other vehicle, a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT, to have the drive axle and transfer case inspected. While the vehicle was raised, Keri Jo pointed out excess lubrication around the front axle and that my lower ball joints were "shredded." I responded by informing her that the passenger side upper and lower ball joints had been replaced not too long ago, and she challenged me to verify when that was. The technician and her then took another look at the passenger side ball joints and verified they were fine, simply over lubricated with an open boot. I have replacement Moog ball joints in the cargo area of the vehicle, and I asked how much she would charge for replacing the ball joints on the driver's side. She modified her quote, along with a quote for a degrease and dye to verify where the leak is near the front axle. I then asked her why she so surely thought my lower ball joints were shredded initially, and she responded by saying her technician told her that. She then said that had I agreed to replace them, they would have caught it and not doen the unnecessary work. I find that hard to believe, in that I would have been charged as quoted, had I foolishly agreed to have the work done. The next day, I called a different repair shop, and the mechanic told me that as long as the tires are wearing down uniformly (which they are) there is no need to replace ball joints. He also noted that as long as the vehicle is not leaving puddles of fluid where parked (which it is not), the excess lubrication represents seepage but not necessarily a leak and is something simply to be inspected regularly, i.e. no repair needs to be done. I am disappointed because I feel that I cannot trust anything Keri Jo says; she has lost credibility in my mind. I get the impression that she used the inspection to justify some expensive, unnecessary repairs, not knowing that I know my vehicle much better than the average person. I will likely not be returning to this repair shop, despite all the other glowing reviews of it.
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 08/26/2019

Good morning
I greatly appreciate your taking the time to reply, not once but twice.
At times it is very interesting with first time customers given the variables of quality of service and past levels of maintennce. Similar to the awkwardness of as first date, meeting a dates parents or a first time appointment with a Doctor or Dentist. Your Vehicle is 20 years old with 148,000 miles on it.
 "I called a different repair shop, and the mechanic told me that as long as the tires are wearing down uniformly (which they are) there is no need to replace ball joints. He also noted that as long as the vehicle is not leaving puddles of fluid where parked (which it is not), the excess lubrication represents seepage but not necessarily a leak and is something simply to be inspected regularly
While I definitely agree with this shops position on Seepage vs Leaks when it comes to the ball joints we prefer to replace them (preventitive) before you need ball joints and tires.
By the way there is another very good auto repair facillity in Cambridge.
Again Thank You! And I wish you better luck with your next service.

EC
Eddie C.
Chevrolet Blazer
08/23/2019
Loss of Trust
I brought my vehicle for a drive axle and transfer case inspection. While the vehicle was raised, Keri Jo informed me that the front axle was covered with extra fluids and that my lower ball joints were shredded. I then informed her that the passenger side ball joints had been replaced only a couple of years ago, and she challenged me to call that repair shop to confirm. Upon further inspection, Keri Jo and the technician saw that the newer ball joints were fine. When I asked her why she was so convinced that they were shredded, she said she relied on what her technician told her. I am annoyed because I would have been charged several hundred dollars to replace ball joints that were fine. Even the older ball joints on the driver's side do not give me any problems, yet they are supposedly "shredded." The next day, I spoke to a mechanic from a different repair shop, and he said that the repairs suggested by Keri Jo were unnecessary. The vehicle does not leave puddles of fluid when parked, and the ride is fine. I remain irked by the attempt to stick it to me, whether or not that was intentional, and I suggest that anyone that goes here get a second opinion before agreeing to unnecessary repairs that have no justification.

Minneapolis, MN
Lexus RX 450h
08/19/2019
Quick service, but poor quality
My tire low pressure gauge showed a slow leak on Thursday. Since the garage couldn't fit me in that same day, the free air was very helpful for keeping the tire inflated overnight. The next day Friday around 2pm I dropped off the vehicle expecting to pick it up the next day, and was surprised to hear that it would be ready within a few hours. The garage called me to ask about a tire key which was in a compartment in the trunk.

When I retrieved the vehicle the main issues were:
1) The tire which was low and required a patch was not filled, resulting in the alert staying on (in my opinion, this is an integral part of patching a tire)
2) The tire fill cap was missing from the tire that was serviced which I noticed when I went to fill up the tire myself
3) The cover for the compartment for the tire key in the trunk was not replaced and was left askew

Sloppy service for a simple fix. Happy for the quick timing, but hard to forget the little things.
Rick G., President from Genin's Autocare responded on 08/21/2019

Hi
I want to apoloigize for the incomplete service you recieved.
Also to insure you this is not the norm at Genin's.
As a rule for the last 27+ years we 'go the extra mile' for folks from out of town, like yourself with a Wedding you need to get to.
Bacause of our close proximity to the U W Madison many of our customers are from out of State.
I do not take this lightly and we will be discussing it at our next Staff meeting.