Sun Prairie, WI
12/07/2018
Awful Diagnostic
The diagnostic run on my car was absolutely false, and I feel as though I avoided a major scam. The technician said I had bad dry rot on all 4 tires and only needed my left front bearing redone. After taking it elsewhere, I found out that my tires were in fine shape and that not one but both front bearings needed to be done. In addition, the original quote for the one front bearing and tires was ludicrously high compared to other places. I will never go here again and I’ll be sure to tell people to do so as well.

Kathryn S.
Honda Civic Sdn
03/05/2018
Scam- Please do not go here.
I took my car here and made it very clear all I wanted done was to screw my engine splash guard back up and they said no problem. When I dropped it off the girl wrote an estimate for $50 and I told her I would not spend that much to get it bolted back up and she said they put that down for everyone. They called me and said they could not screw it back up and it needed to be replaced with an estimate of $418. I informed them not to do anything with the car. When I went to pick it up they had a bill for $60 for labor and parts. When I asked the guy at the counter he could not tell me why it was $60 and got someone else. When I asked that lady she explained in detail what was wrong with my car but could not tell me exactly why I owed $60. After asking 6 to 10 times I finally was told it was for diagnostics testing, which I did not ask for or do I think they actually did because I know I have codes issues that would pop up. She then went on the tell me its for the 20 minutes the mechanic looked at it and then gave me a guilt treatment about how you guys have to pay your mechanics. Doing the math your mechanics must get paid really well if they charge $60 for every 20 minutes because that adds up to $180 an hour and I was also charged $5 for parts, which they told me they did not do anything...so I don't know where the parts comes into play. She also told me I would have to get a whole kit because they do not sell the part separately. Finally they said they would look for a used part and let me know if they find one. They said if they didn't that I could settle my bill over the phone. Four days later, I got a text 4 days later saying they never found the part.

I personally found the part for $10 on the internet and a whole kit for $60 so either they really didn't look that hard or they were going to charge me 3 times the price and make me pay a large amount for labor because she explained to me with 2 guys it takes 15 minutes to replace. When I explained this to the guy on the phone he dropped the price from $60 to $30 saying it was for diagnostics test (like I said earlier I know they did not do or did I ask for it). I explained to this guy what I wrote in here and stated that I would not be paying him $30, the most I would pay for this awful situation is $10. I have a feeling they dropped the price because I knew they were scamming me. I even spoke to a lawyer friend who told me I am not responsible to pay for any services I did not ask for and I refuse to pay this absurd cost to a place that even told me that they did not do what I asked. I rarely post reviews by I was told by many I should let people know in case they scam other people. I would not recommend this place to anyone. The only good part of this experience was that the staff was nice when they were explaining to me that they are charging me for not fixing my car.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 03/06/2018

Kathryn
I apologize for all the difficulty you experienced here. A full refund will be in the mail today. If you are not satified with our service I certainly do not want or deserve your payment.
This definitely is not the norm here at Genin's. The proof is in our 95.8%  RECOMMENDATION RATE.
Thank you for taking the time to send your review. It we be discussed with staff at our next Shop service meeting.

Andrew S.
11/04/2017
Charged $200 for (?) safety check that I didn't ask for
I brought my car in to have the gas tank/lines looked at. I called on the phone and told the lady I was speaking to that my car has been leaking gas and I wanted to bring it in to have it looked at. I dropped my car off at roughly 11am on Wednesday 11/1/17. She told me she would give me a text or a call sometime later in the day before any work was done on my car (which gave me the impression I would not be charged until I was given notice of the work to be done.) I didn't receive a call that day, I received a call late (~4pm) Thursday telling me (in more words) that my car was not worth the repairs to the gas tank, and they had taken a look and the leak was in the gas tank itself. She also mentioned that they had done a "general safety inspection", but made NO mention that I would have been charged additionally for this service. I was frustrated at the time of transaction, however I was not going to argue with the front desk clerk about the charges as he most likely was not involved in these charges. So, I decided to wait and give a call to discuss the matter with a manager, however they are not staffed on the weekends. I plan to call in Monday to discuss the matter.

In fewer words, I'm very frustrated by the fact I brought my car in stating specifically I wanted the gas tank and/or lines looked at to determine where the leak was coming from. While that service was done, there was also the additional service of: checking my trans fluid, checking my belts, checking "exhaust from cat to rear of vehicle", checking my battery, checking my coolant, as well as a $109.99 "General Safety Inspection/Buyers Inspection" (which I did not request). This inspection consisted of "checking all fluids, tire wear and condition, checking front end parts, brakes, under car visual and operation of basic lights and instruments. Check tire pressure." I'm very frustrated that I was charged $110 for services that anyone with basic car knowledge could perform, ESPECIALLY when I didn't request this service be performed.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was charged $13.75 for "Parts", when no work was done to my vehicle. When I asked what these parts consisted of, as I had no work done to my car, the response was "anything from the soap to wash our hands to the gloves we wear while we work.". The fact I was charged nearly $14 for gloves and soap for A SINGLE day of my vehicle being in the shop is a bit ridiculous. To my eyes, it seems that the employees may need to focus on not being so wasteful if they're using $14/day/vehicle of supplies that's in the shop BEFORE any work is being done.

All in all, I plan to discuss this with the service manager at the store on Monday and request a refund of the "General Safety Inspection/Buyers Inspection" as I was given no notice that this service would be performed, I was given no opportunity to request this service be not performed. I will gladly pay the $61.86 for "ck fuel leak??..." section, as this was (more or less) the work I requested be done, and even the (seemingly high) $13.75 for parts. But I would very much appreciate the $109.99 refunded to my account, as to be quite frank, I feel as if I've been stolen from in this service check.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 11/05/2017

Good morning Andrew
I appreciate your taking the time to give us your opinion of your service experience at Genin's Autocare.
In your review you have stated you would like to "request at refund" please contact me. And let me know the exact dollar of refund you would like to resolve this miscommunication.
Text, call or email the dollar amount, my contact information is below.
Please also confirm your mail address is correct on your Invoice as any refunds are made by business check.

608-444-0509
busymo@aol.com

John M.
Schaumburg, IL
03/15/2017 Category: Service
John said he took his vehicle into the business to get a brake check performed on his vehicle. He said he feels they overcharged him for a brake check. Due to this he would not recommend the business for service.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 03/17/2017

John
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
The cost cost of your 4 wheel brake inspection was $49.99 and is totally refundedable within 30 days if the needed brake repairs are complete at Genin's.

Lindsay M.
10/10/2016
Never again.
Did not want to honor my warranty, and why a part broke in 16 months that lasted 10 years the first time I'll never know. Took apart my car before I could approve the repairs. Prices for repairs are 40% higher than another shop quoted me for the same thing. Had to watch every move and make sure they weren't charging me for things (again) that were under warranty from the first time.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 10/11/2016

Lindsay
First and foremost Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. We all live busy, fast paced lives so your willingness to give us your opinion is greatly appreciated.
It is a very interesting review which we will discuss at our next employee meeting.
My first comment would be to your statement “Did not want to honor my warranty” I am the owner of Genin’s, the morning you dropped your vehicle for repairs, I could not find the first repair in the system because you omitted to tell me that that repair was under the last name Hastings Inv # 154503.
As stated on your Invoice # 160231 CATALYTIC CONVERTER remove & replace $0.00
Followed by the line that states - Labor for Converter is covered under warranty/24 mos/24K miles dated from original repair date of 12/18/2014.
The services and repairs preformed on your vehicle at a cost of $306.79 were only the repairs authorized by you.
You never mentioned the Loaner vehicle made available to you, Free of Charge.

This is an inaccurate review of my Staff's and my business's efforts in your vehicle repair.

Owner
608-444-0509

EL
Eric L.
Middleton, WI
Mercury Sable
06/03/2016
Expensive, poor service
Way over priced, rude about having your car there (must be moved in less than 24 hours). Will not return. Do not recommend.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 06/06/2016

Thanks Eric
You are correct we still have not figured out how to service those unwilling to make proper vehicle repairs.

IS
Isabela S.
04/18/2016
still not fixed
I had to go back to the shop because the car wasn't repair properly the first time, was't charged for that but my car is still not fixed, i would say that with every visit I had more and more problems; i do not recommend this particular shop