Chevrolet Cruze
11/04/2019
Fast and Convenient,Not Returning
Pro’s:

1) I called in the AM with a few issues, and Genins was able to get my car in right away, and done by that evening (four new tires, an oil change, and a replacement windshield wiper linkage that broke)

2) Very convenient location (I work very close, can drop my car off and walk to work/walk back when done)

Cons:

1) Aggressive sales approach to communicating vehicle issues/estimates. I’ve spent a lot of $$ on repairs and Genins - car repairs are often pricey, but as a non-vehicle-repair-expert, I want to walk away from a mechanic feeling taken care of and comfortable, and I did not feel that way with the last $1,000+ repair I had at here. I felt rushed and pushed into the sale.

2) Communication between employees and customer service was very poor during my last experience here. I shared with the employee I worked with that I had a 530pm appointment, and as long as my car was done by 5p I’d be good (this was much earlier in the day). Arrived at 5p to pick up my car, and waited until almost 520pm, with two employees standing right at the register. When I finally asked how long it would be for my car, it turns out it had been ready for some time and the payment paperwork was right in front of them. I missed my 5:30pm appointment for no reason and lost out on money that I paid for said appointment.

Even though my employer is within walking distance, I will no longer be going to Genins or referring friends/family there. Paying for convenience is not worth having an overall negative experience.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 11/21/2019

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. This is not the norm here.
Seems we got caught with our pants happens to all sometime.
I made multiple attempts to contact for an option to take the sting out of this poor service experience.
We wish you the best.
And hope your next Service Center provides the service you expect.

Again Thank you

EB
Ed B.
08/24/2019
Non-existent communication
10am “appointment” for an oil change, and my car was still untouched at 2pm, when I was told it would be ready, or close. Finally got it back at 4. But the reason I will be hesitant to return is that I received NO communication about the delay — no call, no text, nothing. Disappointing that I’ll have to go elsewhere next time since Genins is so convenient, and I’m a strong believer in supporting local businesses.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 09/09/2019

Ed
Appreciate your calling me back.
We will working on prividing your better service in the future.
Again Thank you!

EC
Echo C.
08/24/2019
Loss of Trust 2
I had submitted a review in response to a text I received, but I will summarize and corroborate the essence of that review. Since my preferred repair shop in Cambridge had closed last year when the owner sold the business and retired, I have been searching for a replacement repair shop. I have had repairs done at Genins in the recent past, most notably a new radiator and hoses with coolant flush earlier this year. The repairs were more costly than expected, but it was done fairly competently. I decided to bring in my other vehicle, a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT, to have the drive axle and transfer case inspected. While the vehicle was raised, Keri Jo pointed out excess lubrication around the front axle and that my lower ball joints were "shredded." I responded by informing her that the passenger side upper and lower ball joints had been replaced not too long ago, and she challenged me to verify when that was. The technician and her then took another look at the passenger side ball joints and verified they were fine, simply over lubricated with an open boot. I have replacement Moog ball joints in the cargo area of the vehicle, and I asked how much she would charge for replacing the ball joints on the driver's side. She modified her quote, along with a quote for a degrease and dye to verify where the leak is near the front axle. I then asked her why she so surely thought my lower ball joints were shredded initially, and she responded by saying her technician told her that. She then said that had I agreed to replace them, they would have caught it and not doen the unnecessary work. I find that hard to believe, in that I would have been charged as quoted, had I foolishly agreed to have the work done. The next day, I called a different repair shop, and the mechanic told me that as long as the tires are wearing down uniformly (which they are) there is no need to replace ball joints. He also noted that as long as the vehicle is not leaving puddles of fluid where parked (which it is not), the excess lubrication represents seepage but not necessarily a leak and is something simply to be inspected regularly, i.e. no repair needs to be done. I am disappointed because I feel that I cannot trust anything Keri Jo says; she has lost credibility in my mind. I get the impression that she used the inspection to justify some expensive, unnecessary repairs, not knowing that I know my vehicle much better than the average person. I will likely not be returning to this repair shop, despite all the other glowing reviews of it.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 08/26/2019

Good morning
I greatly appreciate your taking the time to reply, not once but twice.
At times it is very interesting with first time customers given the variables of quality of service and past levels of maintennce. Similar to the awkwardness of as first date, meeting a dates parents or a first time appointment with a Doctor or Dentist. Your Vehicle is 20 years old with 148,000 miles on it.
 "I called a different repair shop, and the mechanic told me that as long as the tires are wearing down uniformly (which they are) there is no need to replace ball joints. He also noted that as long as the vehicle is not leaving puddles of fluid where parked (which it is not), the excess lubrication represents seepage but not necessarily a leak and is something simply to be inspected regularly
While I definitely agree with this shops position on Seepage vs Leaks when it comes to the ball joints we prefer to replace them (preventitive) before you need ball joints and tires.
By the way there is another very good auto repair facillity in Cambridge.
Again Thank You! And I wish you better luck with your next service.

EC
Eddie C.
Chevrolet Blazer
08/23/2019
Loss of Trust
I brought my vehicle for a drive axle and transfer case inspection. While the vehicle was raised, Keri Jo informed me that the front axle was covered with extra fluids and that my lower ball joints were shredded. I then informed her that the passenger side ball joints had been replaced only a couple of years ago, and she challenged me to call that repair shop to confirm. Upon further inspection, Keri Jo and the technician saw that the newer ball joints were fine. When I asked her why she was so convinced that they were shredded, she said she relied on what her technician told her. I am annoyed because I would have been charged several hundred dollars to replace ball joints that were fine. Even the older ball joints on the driver's side do not give me any problems, yet they are supposedly "shredded." The next day, I spoke to a mechanic from a different repair shop, and he said that the repairs suggested by Keri Jo were unnecessary. The vehicle does not leave puddles of fluid when parked, and the ride is fine. I remain irked by the attempt to stick it to me, whether or not that was intentional, and I suggest that anyone that goes here get a second opinion before agreeing to unnecessary repairs that have no justification.

05/08/2019
Not a great experience
I’ve been looking for a small, locally owned shop to bring my cars to since my last mechanic retired. I stopped in last weekend and made an appt to get my tires swapped and hoped to start an ongoing relationship.

I came in for my appt and they did not appear to be expecting me, and informed me that it would be done around 11:30 am when I was told initially 9am. This totally screwed up my day. I was told I could reschedule but at that point I wanted to make sure my car was safe and get the old tires removed.

I was a bit thrown off about how to rearrange my work schedule but still very nice about the whole thing but the person helping me seemed annoyed with me, wasn’t very nice and made me feel like I somehow inconvenienced THEM. While I waited, she was in the back laughing with another employee and it just seemed unprofessional.

Ultimately, I thought there would be some small gesture for the mix up just to show they value my business. They noted my headlight was out and if it were my business, I would have swapped that out or offered a discount to come back and get that taken care of.

Ben B.
Subaru Impreza Sedan
03/31/2019
Thanks Rick!
I appreciate Rick reaching out to me to resolve my complaint. He issued me a partial refund which brought the service cost in line with my expectations. Many thanks. I will be sure to get an estimate of all work to be done in the future to avoid surprises when it comes time to pay.

03/31/2019
Air filter upsell is a rip-off
I think the customer service and the quality of the work done was very good, but the prices are way too high. I had taken my car in for an oil change, and got a call in the middle of the day suggesting I get my engine and cabin air filters replaced, which I agreed to because it had been a while. However, after seeing the bill, I realized they dramatically marked up the parts (over double the cost of the exact parts from NAPA) and labor costs ($54) of the air filter work. I can easily do that kind of work myself, and would have had I known they charge such ridiculous prices for it. Now I don't think I can trust this shop. There are several other good repair shops in the area so I won't be back.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 04/03/2019

Ben
Thanks for taking my call 4/2 @ 11:56 am. We reached an agreeable refund amount.
I hope you are more satisfied with your overall service experience at Genins

Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 04/08/2019

Ben
If you do not mind I am sendinf a 'Rescore' survey.
If you feel you can now Score Genin's with a 4 out 5 positive please rescore it.
If not just discard the survey.

Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 04/15/2019

Mike M.
01/30/2019
good follow up service by owner
Had a few concerns about length of time it took to get a tire repaired. Owner was prompt in following up on my concerns, and hopefully discussed improving the somewhat lacking communication I received in the shop with his staff.

01/30/2019
Long wait for a tire check
Even though I purchased my set of tires at Genin's, and even though I made an appointment a day before dropping in, I found the wait to check a tire's slow leak a bit ridiculous. I was at a nearby coffeeshop almost two and a half hours for the tire plug/remounting.

When I got the text that the car was ready, and went in to pay the bill, I asked what problems they found with the tire. The person working said "I don't know. They didn't tell me. That'll be $40." Not exactly friendly customer service...I will probably take my car to the dealer next time, and buy my tires elsewhere.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 01/31/2019

Mike
I appreciate your taking the time to let me know your thoughts.
I apologize for the inconvenience. We realize the value of eveyone's time. Winter tire repairs require the tire and rim to warm up.
I understand you are dissatified but the repair completed properly is the goal. How much time it takes varies.

KG
Kimberly G.
Buick Encore
01/26/2019
Crooked
I am very unhappy with the service I got from them . I was referred there by my uncle. While removing the valve cover of the engine, they broke a coil wire. They then wanted to charge me 300.00 for a new coil pack. I did not brake it they did , so why should I have to incur the charge to fix it. I will never give them my business again. I now still have to replace the coil pack along with spark plugs. It still cost me close to 700.00 for the work they did or didn't do. Not happy at all.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 01/30/2019

Kimberly
As I explained in our phone conversation 1-30 @ 8:30 am. The coil pack became an issue during the repair. Similar to a plumber replacing a faucet and a problem occuring with the water pipe, the pipe is yours, the repair is needed and you would be responsible.
No one likes spending money on repairs.
I appreciate your taking my call.
I apologize we were not able to meet your expectations.

Matt W.
Pontiac G6
03/05/2016 Category: Service
Matt said this business told him a bunch of things that were wrong with his vehicle that were not true.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 03/22/2016

Made or attempted to make phone contact with Matt on 4 occassions;3/8 @ 3:55pm, 3/9 @ 8:22 am, 3/14 @ 8:52 am and today 3/22 @10:55am.
I did talk speak with Matt on 2 occassion he never had time or committed to come to the shop to go over his concerns / commets.
It was documented on his repair order that he had choosen to make some of the repairs himself.