03/18/2020
Spendy
Its close and convenient. But it's more expensive than other places I've tried.

09/12/2019
Great car care but rude receptionist
Wish I could give more stars but receptionist was rude to me when picked up my car. The service mechanic part seems great.

Minneapolis, MN
Lexus RX 450h
08/19/2019
Quick service, but poor quality
My tire low pressure gauge showed a slow leak on Thursday. Since the garage couldn't fit me in that same day, the free air was very helpful for keeping the tire inflated overnight. The next day Friday around 2pm I dropped off the vehicle expecting to pick it up the next day, and was surprised to hear that it would be ready within a few hours. The garage called me to ask about a tire key which was in a compartment in the trunk.

When I retrieved the vehicle the main issues were:
1) The tire which was low and required a patch was not filled, resulting in the alert staying on (in my opinion, this is an integral part of patching a tire)
2) The tire fill cap was missing from the tire that was serviced which I noticed when I went to fill up the tire myself
3) The cover for the compartment for the tire key in the trunk was not replaced and was left askew

Sloppy service for a simple fix. Happy for the quick timing, but hard to forget the little things.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 08/21/2019

Hi
I want to apoloigize for the incomplete service you recieved.
Also to insure you this is not the norm at Genin's.
As a rule for the last 27+ years we 'go the extra mile' for folks from out of town, like yourself with a Wedding you need to get to.
Bacause of our close proximity to the U W Madison many of our customers are from out of State.
I do not take this lightly and we will be discussing it at our next Staff meeting.

Jeep Liberty
07/30/2019
They charge double than the average price
Friendly customer service. It came off a bit sarcastic at first, they then told me it’d be 40 dollars for a tire plug. I questioned it, that’s when they started getting an attitude and we’re persistent that we went through. I know you can buy used tires for that price.Tire plug kits cost around 10 dollars and you can plug around 5 tires with that. I’ve taken my tire in plenty of times to get plugged for lack of time and convenience; never have I paid more than 20 dollars. Do your research before you enter the shop.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 07/31/2019

You may get someone to 'plug' your tire for $10.00.
The proper repair recommendation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administartion NHTSA, www.nhtsa.gov and the Tire Industry Association TIA, www.tireindustry.org is a 'patch plug' which is the repair you authorized at Genin's.
This repair requires a tire machine, tire balancer and a skilled Technician.
You recieved the recommended repair.

Middleton, WI
Honda Civic Cpe
06/20/2019
Extremely professional
For better or worse, there is an enforced distance between the customer and the mechanics.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 06/21/2019

Thank so much for accepting my call today. It was a great conversation. I appreciate your willingness to allow me to explain how/ why we operate as we do.
We greatly appreciate your business.
We will see you again.

Again Thank you

Rick

INFINITI G35 Coupe
04/25/2019
Average Car Check
I made an appointment, gave them some flexibility with time and they took all day to get back to me. Felt a bit pressured to do more work than necessary, overall felt the bill was high for such a minor problem. Also it should say on their website that coupons can only be accepted when you first call, although how you are supposed to tell how many hours of work are needed is hard to tell if you aren't sure of the problem.

TA
Thaar A.
03/16/2019 Category: Service
Thaar said the price was a little high.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 03/21/2019

Thaar
Thank you for taking my phone call today.
I called to talk about the low review and find out your concerns.
You are stuck on the price of our services even after we provided you a No Charge Loaner vehicle and allowed you to bring in your own alternator.
My Staff did everything they could to accomadate you on this repair.
I wish you better luck in the future

Agian Thank you

AC
Ayana C.
03/01/2019
New to Madison from nyc with car trouble
So my car won’t start after leaving work on a cold night figured I would’ve needed a jumpstart call my insurance for road Side assistance. Let’s just say they won’t helpful I Uber home after jumpstaring failed and found myself on google looking at reviews and auto shops in the Madison areas not to far from where I work or live. I called one shop that also had pretty decent reviews but they told me they wasn’t able to fit me in till Thursday which would’ve been 4 days later so of course my reply was is that the best you can do because that’s not going to work for me. My second call was to Genins who give me a two Truck number after jumpstarting fail to make plans to get it to their location. So Tuesday around 11:15am I believe the two tuck took my car from the location in which it was stall to Genins which mind you I called and let them know my car was on the way and give them permission to diagnose and let me know the next step. My car got their and no one contacted me to let me know what was happening I may have call about twice that same day to be told my car wasn’t looked at yet at this point 24hr had went by and I called and had to explain how unprofessional it was that they had my car for 24hr and know one contacted me.I was doing all the calling and I need to know what was going on ASAP because I’ve been ubering to and from work and that was costly. I’m not well vers in cars but I do come from a family of mechanics and know it doesn’t take 24 for a shop to tell you what’s wrong with a vehicle. I got my dad involved because I really couldn’t explain to him what was going on so I had them explain to him after 24 hours all my car needed was a fuse to be changed and a battery recharge. Then I figured they already had the car 24 plus hours why not do an oil change since I’m due for one. I ask if someone could have dropped my car off where I work that way I didn’t have to leave work to pick it up they was nice to do so but when I got in the car my lights to the radio display wasn’t turning on I then waved down the person dropping the car off to ask if he noticed it his response was no but you can call the shop and let them know. At this point I’m just about overly frustrated and was like I’m deal with this tomorrow. To my surprise got to parking my car and my coworker noticed one of the brake light was out. Can someone say frustrating! Called the shop back today to let them know her first response was someone drove behind your car when it was being drop off they would’ve noticed it helloooooo someone also drove my car and didn’t realize my radio display wasn’t lightning up. They told me they could come to where they drop off the car which is my place of employment to look at it but unfortunately I was able to allow that to happen so tomorrow I’m going to take my to the shop so they can let me know if the Lightbulb need to be changed. Mind you I already paid about $229 to have my car Diagnosed,oil change and to recharge the battery. Just about over this let’s see what happens tomorrow!
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 03/04/2019

Ayana
Thank you for taking my call today 2/4 at 9:44 AM.
I appreciate your taking the time to go over the events of your service at Genin's.
As I explained a dead vehicle, referred to our Tower, is only placed on the repair schedule once the vehicle is physically here. With this extreme winter this year there have been times that took days.
You make a lot of valid points and I appreciate that. I will use them for more Employee Training.
There is a certain awkwardness about 'first time' service and repairs similar to a 'First Date', I still believe a business relationship can be successful.
I called today to apologize and rectify the situation.
You remain dissatisfied so we simple go forward, agreeing to disagree.

Debaditya (Dave) C.
01/27/2019
Updating review based on response
This is an improved review as I am impressed by the response from the president of Genin's autocare to my previous review. This is a person who takes feedback seriously and engage his customers.
I admit I was being flippant about the cost of a synthetic oil change. While $100 is on the pricier side for this, it is not outrageously overpriced, and possibly justified given the reputation and location of the establishment.
I am still skeptical about the justification of the "recommended service" fiasco. However, I will let it go and hope such incidents are avoided in future.

01/27/2019
Felt like they attempted to rip me off
Went for an oil change. I was charged $100 which seemed on the higher side for something so trivial, but I decided to give them the benefit of doubt as I was told that the oil is pretty expensive (this costs $40 at a Toyota service center but I decided to get it done here anyway as the weather was bad). After the service, they said that a complimentary inspection has been performed and that I need to change my air filter and license plate bulbs. This is clear bullshit as I got those done from Genin's about 5 weeks back (the person. I am disappointed at this behavior as this was an honest mistake (which calls into question the mechanic's competence) or an attempt to rip me off. Either way, you have lost a customer who takes loyalty seriously.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 02/01/2019

Hi Dave
Thank you for taking the time to do a review.
More so "Thanks" for taking my call yesterday. I understand the $100 charge seemed high at the time but know you know that was for synthetic motor oil, it's is more costly. You also know 'Toyota' will not do synthetic for $40.00.
We also went over that the "Recommended Service" still on the Invoice was simply human error, as by oversite, it was not removed, thus making it look as if it was being recommended a second time.
I would apprecaite your taking the time to re-review our service.
We are very proud of the service we provide. And our long standing reputation.
We appreciate your business.

Robert H.
Audi Q5
12/08/2018
Service on my Audi Q5
I brought my car in for it's 80,000 mile service. When I brought it in, I asked that it be filled with the highest octane gas. No gas was added. Moreover, the symbol on my dash indicated that tire pressure was low remained on.

This is not very acceptable.

Robert Haveman

Rachel C.
Green Bay, WI
Mercury Monterey
04/18/2018 Category: Service
Rachel said the staff were friendly and did a good job. However, the prices were more than she was willing to pay.

Cody H.
01/09/2018
Couldn't Afford Service
I heard a wonderful review from the mouth of a friend, so I brought in my 2003 Honda Accord with high hopes of getting a recent engine oil leak checked out. Informed them that I've been driving over a year without power steering due to a leak in the power steering line. Dropped my car off at 8am and was asked when I'd like to pickup - agreed that end of day (5pm) was fine. No call all day; I call them at 5pm to ask about the status - they didn't get to it. 11am the next day I'm given confirmation that the power steering has a severe leak and is "spraying" everywhere. Was told they could not diagnose the engine oil leak until they degrease from the power steering fluid and replace the whole power steering system for $850. They estimated that the engine oil repair could bring the total to a couple thousand $. We agreed it was not worth proceeding with repairs, so I picked it up later that day for $70. I'm a little disappointed they couldn't diagnose the engine oil leak. They could have left the p/s empty and dry, and I feel with a little of the extra effort I heard about it should have been possible to diagnose where the oil leak was coming from. It's a busy season but I felt like I didn't get excellent service.

Susan H.
Volkswagen Passat
06/18/2017
Good but not final.
Repairs mostly good, but within 24 hours the engine light was back on, and the right turn indicator, which was okay when the car went in, started doing the fast blinking, making me wonder if everything was tightened sufficiently when the bulb was replaced.

Celia W.
Oldsmobile Bravada
06/11/2017
Way overpriced
I took my truck here to get it diagnosed, they charged me $200 for a diagnosis. Which is about $100 over standard, and their diagnosis was exactly what I told them it would be. I also was not allowed to watch my vehicle get worked on, which is absurd.
They gave me a quote for the fix which was over priced too. I ended up taking it to zimbrick which would of disgnosed it for $120, and fixed it for over $30 cheaper.
Moral of the story, don't take your vehicle here unless you want to over pay.
Rick G., President from Genins Autocare responded on 06/16/2017

Celia
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Dongning W.
Lexus IS 250
05/23/2017
Happy with the result, but not the price
Several issues were solved, and so far the car is running well. Only thing is that I checked the price of the part they used. They seems to be overpriced a lot. For example, the tires, Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 225/45/17 with part number 9000020870 cost only 97 on amazon, and below $110 everywhere I checked. They charged $140 each. Also I was told the wheel bearing is Lexus specific and no other replacement available, and it costs $500. Later I searched around and found many options available between 100~200. I have no problem paying whatever the labor cost is. But cheating on the parts destroyed my trust completely.