CL
CHRISTINA L.
Chevrolet Blazer
05/29/2020
Used to be great not so much anymore. Put daughters life at risk
I've left positive reviews for this place before. Unfortunately my last visit is my final. I began to question sandlake the last time or 2 so this time when I brought my vehicle in on Thursday and they told me they call me right back and after several promises to call or talk to a senior mechanic I finally got 1 answer on Tuesday morning (I had several questions) "its not worth fixing" and they did my oil change and fixed my break lights (2nd time in less than a year). My gut told me that there was something being left out and I'm really glad I listened to it. We immediately took it from Sandlake over to another recommended mechanic Wons automotive. He got back to us by mid day and had everything completely diagnosed. Sand Lake had got a couple things right there was a bushing that needed repaired but it was not worth it and there was an oil leak that wasn't worth repairing. They missed HUGE critical issues though. We explained that this car was going to be sold or given to our daughter to be driven. Sand Lake told us it was safe to drive for the next year or 2. They were to look at the entire vehicle and let us know if anything needed to be done. Come to find out all of my brakes and rotors were completely bad, totally worn! They also missed an oil leak in a hose that was ready to burst that would destroy the entire car. Sandlake quoted me $4000 to fix my car and Won quoted me less than $1000 and even a handful of fixed things like a leak in my door. Its super sad I loved SandLake...
Timothy M. from Sand Lake Automotive responded on 05/29/2020

Good Afternoon Christina,
I would like to apologize for your experience during your last visit.  I will find out what went wrong and get back with you, not that it will change anything at this point.  Again, I'm really sorry for your disappointment and frustration.  I left a message for you on your phone also.  I will call you again next week when I have answers.
Tim Mason

James T.
Seward, AK
Plymouth Grand Voyager
10/25/2018 Category: Service
James said he was misled and the mechanic tried to charge him for work that wasn't done. If he didn't say anything he would have charged him.
Tim M. from Sand Lake Automotive responded on 10/26/2018

On 8/24 van came in for brakes, after brakes were repaired customer called back and said van was overheating, brought  van back in, quick visual inspection could not find any problems. Customer called back in october to have van looked at for over heating , found van was 3 quarts low on coolant. Topped  off coolant, found multiple coolant leaks. Did not charge for diagnosis. only charge was for coolant we put in van $6.58. Customer did not feel he should pay this so we let it go. I'm sorry you felt misled but the  Brake job and cooling system issue  have nothing to do with each other. Not sure what was meant by charging for work that wasent done, we just did a brake job.

CLIF S.
Mitsubishi Expo
05/16/2020
They take care of me 😘
Car starting good now!?

Mitsubishi Montero Sport
12/16/2018
Disappointing
My vehicle was taken in for a no-heat issue. Reported symptoms were disregarded, a heater flush was performed, and whether or not it was the solution was not verified. I received my vehicle back and before I was a mile away I had no heat again. Less heat than when it was delivered to them! After getting it home I performed my own check & discovered the water levels in the radiator had not been checked/refilled. What kind of mechanic receives a vehicle with no heat, and doesn't verify the fluid levels in the radiator prior to releasing it to the owner? Parts were removed for another issue and not put back on. Sloppy.

CHARLES S.
Chrysler PT Cruiser
01/24/2018
Dissapointed with last visit
I have been coming here because I heard great things. But this last time I was dissapointed. I had some work done on my back window motor and had it replaced and ever since cannot get my back door to open. I brought it back after a couple weeks when I noticed it and was charged for trying to diagnose it but its still not fixed.

NM
Nick M.
Pontiac Grand Am
01/08/2018 Category: Service
Nick said his receipt read, per customer request, please test battery. He did not request a battery test, and the charge should have never been because he did not ask for that test, as he had just bought a battery. He works at a vehicle service facility, and could test the battery himself. He never heard back from the business and had called and left messages three days ago. He stated he thinks he may have been charged incorrectly and should have been charged for a diagnosis. He said the customer service was good. They did take the time to do the work. He said he hopes his concerns can and will be addressed and worked out.

LARRY B.
Ford Expedition
07/23/2017
Lube Job
I remember the good old days when you were not charged $2.00 for a quart of windshield wiper fluid. I also do not understand when I see the labor rate for the lube job is $102.00 and the labor rate for a check engine light is $112.00.
I also was not particularly please when I had to call to see if my vehicle was ready when they had it all day.

MJ
MATT J.
07/01/2020
mostly good
very nice people but I just had my tire fixed and already saying low tire pressure

GL
Gwen L.
Girdwood, AK
Hyundai Santa Fe
01/18/2018 Category: Service
Spoke with Jeff. He said he would recommend the business.

TG
THOMAS G.
10/09/2017
Got it done quick
Got it done quick

Jim B.
GMC Safari Cargo Van
09/06/2017 Category: Service
Jim said the staff had a hard time understanding the problem he had and he was displeased with the service.

GP
GENE P.
Dodge Durango
08/12/2017
Heater
I brought my daughters car in to have a block heater put into it, before she heads off to college in Fairbanks. The work was great as usual, but my only problem with the service was I intentionally made an appointment at 8am over a week out so I could get it in and out (as the work being done was to only take about an hour) but it didn't get finished until 2:15 in the afternoon that's over 6 hours later. So my only question is why did I even make an appointment for 8/830 in he morning if it was still going to take all day long?

08/13/2020
Diagnostics
Good job on diagnosing problem! Would have liked some feedback on possible causes

John G.
05/26/2020 Category: Service
John said this business was good.

RAY G.
03/23/2020
Quick work done
Good price (relatively) on labor per hour; good work done and timely.