JIM M.
Denver, NC
Chevrolet Avalanche
09/22/2019
Bad installation
2005 Chevy avalanche. Replace knock sensors. I supplied parts. Installer overtightened and broke both sensors. No guarantee because I supplied parts. So, now I’m out $450.00 labor charge and have to do this job myself. Very disappointed!
Do not provide your own parts on high labor dollar jobs!!! You may end up like me
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 09/23/2019

I am sorry for the inconvenience however the parts you supplied were cheap Chinese copied knock sensors from Amazon which you yourself admitted were junk and you replaced them with the correct AC Delco parts. Yes we do not provide a warranty for customer supplied parts and you were told that up front and this is exactly why. We will be changing our policy on that going forward. To correct your statement about paying $450, that was the total cost of your invoice. We charged you $288 with one gallon of anti-freeze plus tax to replace your knock sensors and harness. The rest of the invoice was for a separate diagnosis and repair of an evap system leak and smoke test to find it.

DAN W.
Lincolnton, NC
BMW 135i
10/02/2018
Tires
I don’t see any new stick on weights or any area of the rim that was cleaned to put any stick on weights reflecting that the tires were spin balanced. I can’t imagine they both balanced perfectly. I don’t have a place on your site here to post a picture of the rins. You charged me $30. I’m going to take it to Jason at Abernethy and then report back to you guys what he says. I have to rat you a one for this visit because because I don’t know If the tires were balanced
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 10/10/2018

I am sorry you feel that way and distrust us enough to go to another shop to verify our work. I reviewed our shop video camera's and your wheels were absolutely balanced. One wheel did not take any weight and balanced out correctly. I would recommend calling us in the future for clarification rather than assuming.

John S.
Maiden, NC
01/05/2016
Engine failure
The engine failed 100 miles after oil and filter change. 2002 Chrysler Sebring with 88,000 miles. They claimed the cooling system was leaking. What I saw evoperated antifreeze around the air bleed on the top of the engine. They were trying to sell me some thing that was not needed! Replament remanufactured engine will cost $3200.. I wound not recommend this vendor.
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 01/06/2016

Customer came into shop for the first time and requested a Mobil 1 oil change which we performed. We had no previous maintenance records on this vehicle. Engine apparently had failed after our service but was not brought to our shop so we could only speculate. Customer accused us of over filling his oil causing the engine failure.(5qts were installed as required fill amount from Chrysler which is on his receipt) His vehicle "was" low on coolant and had a coolant leak and he declined topping off cooling system which I pointed out to him after he accused us of damaging his engine. I since have contacted the shop where his vehicle is currently at and they informed me the timing chain had failed and no final analysis had been done yet.

Chrysler had a class action lawsuit against them for premature engine failure due to defective timing chain design on 98-2003 2.7ltr engines. Click on link below.

With no previous maintenance records, verifying we filled the engine with the correct amount of oil and engine tendency for timing chain failures, we concluded that we were not liable for this engine failure. If customer would like we could submit a claim to Exxon/ Mobil's engine warranty department for further assistance on analyzing why timing chain had failed, however all maintenance records would be required to proceed.

BC
BARRY C.
Maiden, NC
Fiat 500
06/07/2015
missed primary idea of inspection
Brought Fiat in for a safety inspection. Got new spark plugs & ck engine light out....forgot to safety inspect
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 06/11/2015

As per our phone conversation, we could not inspect the vehicle after we corrected the check engine light problem. When codes are cleared in the computer, it resets all emissions data and vehicle needs to be driven for at least 50 miles before a State inspection can be done. There was also another code in the system that we could not verify a problem with so we recommended driving the vehicle to see if the code would reset. I am sorry for any confusion that may have caused and always, we appreciate your business!

STEPHEN S.
Denver, NC
Toyota Land Cruiser
02/28/2014
Failed Safety Inspection
My issue was that I had clearly explained the hi-beam switch issue prior to the inspection and inquired the pass/fail criteria on this item. I was told that this issue by itself would not 'fail' the inspection but then it certainly did. I would have had the switch repaired prior to inspection had it been made clear to me that the partially functioning switch would result in a failure. The way this played out suggests to me that WLAAT failed the inspection with an eye towards collecting the fee for the much more expensive switch replacement service.

02/28/2014
Failed Safety Inspection
Very disappointing that the WLAAT inspector chose to fail my vehicle for inspection due to a high-beam switch issue. The high beams worked fine when the flash lever was pulled but would not when switched to the constant on position. What valid safety concern would this pose? None, absolutely none - yet this inspector chose to fail the vehicle for this one silly reason. Very disappointing.
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 03/04/2014

I am sorry Mr Strezeski that you are disappointed however you are asking us to pass your vehicle illegally and overlook a requried component to pass a NC State Inspection. In the NC DMV Inspector Guide page 41 under article 19A NCAC 03D .0533 Lights; line (d) it states Headlights shall not be approved if "The high beam low beam dimmer switch does not operate properly or the high beam indicator light does not burn on vehicles manufactured after Jan 1956". Your dimmer switch on your vehicle worked in the "flash" mode but would not turn on the high beams when the dimmer switch was pushed forward. This constitutes a failure. If you disagree I would encourage you to call NC DMV at 1877-421-0020 and advise them that you feel that we illegally failed your vehicle and they will take the proper action if neccessary. Thank you for your time.

Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 03/06/2014

The vehicle inspection was in progress when you inquired about your high beam switch not working correctly and it is up to the "inspector" to pass of fail a vehicle. The inspector himself is responsible for his own license and fines,not the service writer. You can take the vehicle any where you choose to have the high beam switch replaced so we do not fail vehicles illegally to force our customers to have us do the repairs. Your inspection was done properly according to the NC DMV law and I am sorry you do not understand.

VB
Vincent B.
Statesville, NC
10/16/2013 Category: Service
Vincent said he was not happy with his overall experience because the prices were so expensive. Due to the high prices he will not recommend this business for service and will never go back.
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 10/18/2013

We are sorry we could not accomodate your price expectation. We appreciate you giving us the oportunity and wish you luck on finding a shop that will give you a better value.

Randall R.
NC
09/27/2012
They suck!!! Period
When you change the oil that means you put new oil in the motor!
They are simply liars and will take every dime they can get for you,
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 09/28/2012
Customer stated car was towed in with locked up engine and no oil or coolant in it. We did four wheel brake job and oil change. 24 hours video camera showed us putting oil in vehicle and it was "DRIVEN" in by customer, "NOT TOWED IN". Thermostat failed causing car to overheat and customer believes this was our fault. I have video to prove the truth. Doubt customer does. Look forward to threatened legal action.
Michael T. from Westlake Auto & Tire LLC responded on 09/28/2012
No problem was found with engine before or after service. Engine was not locked up. Oil was full. Replacing a bad cooling system thermostat was all that was needed. Vehicle was test driven two times after oil change and brake job. Vehicle was also driven to and from shop by owner after service. (all on video).