Overall Rating 4.2/5Overall Rating 4.2/5Overall Rating 4.2/5Overall Rating 4.2/5rating 4.2
Overall Rating 1.8/5rating 1.8rating 1.8rating 1.8rating 1.8

Tony B.
11/07/2019
Car repair
The pros are Furgerson’s Garage is very professional, responses to request for information quickly and able to get repairs done quickly.

The cons are Limited hours of operation. No weekends close at 5 PM during the week ( not good for working people). The charges for repairs are very expensive, the same if not more than what it would cost to have the repair done at the dealer.
Tom M., Service Manager from Furgerson's Garage responded on 11/11/2019

Dear Tony,   Thank you very much for your recent visit to our facility! We appreciate your valuable feedback, and we use the information to refine our customer service practices. We just wanted to take a few moments to help explain our practices. We understand the need to make vehicle drop off and pick up convenient to our customers, so we offer 24 hour pick up and drop off of your vehicle. Additionally we provide complimentary ride services to suit our clients needs promptly. Regarding vehicle repair pricing, our research shows that we are generally priced 15%-50% lower than the local dealerships on most service and repairs. Regarding our hours, unfortunately due to heavy weekend tourism & scheduled events in Encinitas, none of the downtown repair shops are open on Saturday or Sunday. About our staff,  Furgerson’s Garage only employs experienced ASE Certified Master Technicians to provide the highest level of expertise during the maintenance and repair processes and we back our repairs with an industry leading 2 years or 24,000 miles. We respect our staff's desire to have family time on the weekends and wish to honor their needs as well as the clients needs.   We hope this provides additional insight into how we operate our family oriented business, and we do apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced during your visit. We are happy to hear that your vehicle was repaired properly the first time, and you felt that we were professional. We look forward to helping you with any of your automotive needs in the future. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments.

TA
Tom A.
Del Mar, CA
10/28/2019 Category: Service
Tom said the business charged him $272 for a diagnostic, and they never figured out the problem but they still charged him. The other things the staff fixed were fine, but his vehicle was still not idling properly when he left.
Tom M., Service Manager from Furgerson's Garage responded on 11/01/2019

Hi Tom, As per our conversation the other day, we look forward to inspecting your vehicle for the idle issue you are having. Please give me a call when you want to bring it in, as I mentioned there will be no charge for the re-inspection.

Volkswagen New Beetle Coupe
08/31/2019
Not the usual service
I brought my car in on Tuesday, because the check engine light came on. It was on for a while and off again. Other than that, my car was running well before I brought it to your shop. You kept my car for 2 1/2 days for diagnostics and you could not give a definitive diagnosis of the problem. When I finally picked up my car, the low coolant light came on (flashing red temp light) after driving it for some distance. I called the service adviser to give him an update of this event. He advised me to tow it in the shop and not drive it at all. I let the car sit in my garage for a day. The next day, I checked the coolant reservoir and found it empty. I added coolant a few days before and was puzzled why it was empty. I added coolant into the reservoir today (Saturday) and test drove it for a few miles. The flashing red coolant light came on again. When I got home, I checked the reservoir and all the coolant I just put in had leaked out. Perhaps the hose was disconnected by the person working on the car in your shop and didn't reconnect it. This could have caused major damage to my car had it overheated. I paid $135 for the diagnostic and left your shop with my car worse than before, my reason for taking it in was not resolved. Now I have the disconnected, possibly damaged connection to the coolant reservoir to worry about...more issues for me to get fixed. I'm so sorry I took my poor car to your shop.
Tom M., Service Manager from Furgerson's Garage responded on 09/06/2019

Dear Customer,

We apologize for any issues that you have experienced with your 2004 Volkswagen Beetle since your visit to our facility. As always if there are any concerns with any work performed at Furgerson's Garage, we ask our customers to please return the vehicle to our facility as soon as possible to remedy the situation. The technician made every effort to effectively diagnose the Check Engine lamp concern that you initially brought it in for. We were able to extract the diagnostic trouble codes for the internal transmission solenoid valve fault, but the fault is intermittent in nature. Unfortunately, after numerous attempts, we were unable to duplicate any symptoms or capture any irregular data pertaining to the transmission systems. We stated that there were several pontential causes for this diagnostic trouble code and that they were likely internal components requiring major disassembly of the transmission and/or total replacement with a remanufactured transmission. All in all it would be premature to take action before symptoms were identifiable and positive test results were achieved. We are always careful to note down any existing conditions that would be potential issues, including cooling system problems and there were none at the time of our inspection. We would be happy to inspect the cooling system for faults and/or further the diagnostic inspection of the Transmission diagnostic trouble codes should the fault become less intermittent and diagnosable. Thank you, the staff at Furgerson's.

CR
Cristal R.
05/15/2018 Category: Service
Cristal said the catalyst was cracked, and the business did not tell her about it. She had a smog check, and they should have told her not to have the smog done until the catalyst was repaired. It was an unkindness on their part that they did not tell her. Also, the check engine light was on.
Brad and C., President/Owner from Furgerson's Garage responded on 05/17/2018

Dear Cristal,
Thank you for your recent review of Furgerson’s Garage. Unfortunately your vehicle failed the smog check for two reasons: a severely cracked exhaust manifold next to the oxygen sensor (a
critical emissions component) and a cracked fuel cap seal. Both of your vehicle failures items were verified by two ASE Certified Master Technicians. The staff at Furgerson’s Garage takes the State of California Smog Check Program seriously, and we are happy to help do our part to keep our air quality at an acceptable level. As a State of California STAR Certified Smog Check Test and Repair Station we are held to the highest standards set forth by the Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Automotive Repair. By repairing and maintaining your vehicle you can help keep our air clean as well! We would like to assist you through the repair process as affordably as possible. Please give our Service Manager a call at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment.

AL
Amelia L.
Encinitas, CA
Volkswagen New Beetle Coupe
02/16/2018
Just don’t understand
I did talked to Tom about my disappointments of the overall service. I took car to get an oil change. But ended getting a full report that many issues that my car had. Oil had not been done yet but a full report. It was a bit sketchy and I was upset. So Tom asked what was
The issue. I told him that I had taken the car in because the window in the back seat
Did not work. They told it was motors in each window for over $500 per window labor. $900 later
They said they could fix Theo Dow’s by locking the cables the windows would not open any more. I said okay. But then I realize a few
Days later that I could not roll my convertible top. I took the car to Vw dealer. They looked at it said motors were good but the cables were shot. They replaced cables and $400 later issues fix. So get how the full report sat ugly to me.

Mike C.
Honda
08/11/2017 Category: Service
Mike said this business wasn't very flexible with their time.

KT
Kevin T.
06/20/2017
Bad service rep
Give me a call to discuss at 619-719-8790.

Kevin
Brad and C., President/Owner from Furgerson's Garage responded on 06/21/2017

Thank you Kevin for bringing your concerns to my intention. We have performed corrective actions with the employee involved to ensure he exceeds customer expectations in the future. Please feel free to contact me personally with any possible issues in the future. Thanks again, Brad

EF
Eric F.
Cardiff By The Sea, CA
03/31/2017 Category: Service
Eric said the prices were obscene. They charged a lot for labor and did not explain the cost well.

MF
Michael F.
Encinitas, CA
Volkswagen Passat
10/13/2015
Diesel Smog test too high
I was dissapointed that I was charged $20 more than a gas auto for my diesel vehicle. I doubt the test takes any longer or requires different equipment. I have done this test for this vehicle at another facility and was not charged more.

Ron R.
06/22/2015
Re-Score
Complaints resolved - communication problem.

06/22/2015
usually gotten good service
Picked up my car after hrs: 1) no key left in the glove compartment as I had asked, 2) no receipt of service performed, etc 3) parts replaced were not left in the vehicle as I had indicated on the envelope when I left the car before opening and 4) two large (.25 in dia) grease spots on the floor of drivers side.
Brad and C., President/Owner from Furgerson's Garage responded on 06/25/2015

After it was brought to our attention that the customer left our business unhappy, our Service Manager contacted the customer to discuss the situation. We were unable to give the old parts back to the customer due to the fact that they had to be returned to the manufacturer or else the customer would be charged and additional CORE fee. Furgerson's Garage offered the customer a complimentary oil and filter service to make up for the miscommunication between customer and the shop.

Scott W.
Toyota Sequoia
04/22/2015
Furgerson's corrected the situation
After understanding the situation the folks at Furgerson's contacted me an made the situation right. They replaced the tailgate window motor at no charge.

04/22/2015
Should have fixed your prior work....
So i have 7 cars in the family that we take routinely to Furgeson's. Tom is great he knows us (and should by the volume of work we give the establishment). A little over 2 years ago we paid an awful price to have a window motor replaced in the tailgate of our Sequioa. This week we took the Sequioa in because the engine light, track off, and stability track light, came on in addition to the fact the window in the tailgate had stopped working again. So we paid to replace TWO sensors (unrelated but which happen to spontaneous trip the check engine light) in excess of $1,800. As for the window in the tailgate we were told it was again the motor which was over the warrantee period...even though we had paid you guys to replace it within the last three years. I said no to the guy when he told me it was going to be some crazy amount ($800 or $900) I can't remember. Tom then called back having heard the conversation and said he thought it a shame to just close it up without fixing and would split the cost with me for the window motor...some $550! This is for a motor and labor I paid for jus t2 years ago! And don't tell me it is the salt air by the beach! All of Japan is by salt water....And I bet the managers at Toyota would cringe to hear you say that.....which made my wife ask "where did Furgeson's get the old motor in the first place?...good question.....probably not Toyota or you would have made a stink to them on our behalf and got the thing corrected for free! I realize it was over the period you warranted the motor...but sometimes you step up and do what is right on behalf of your good customers. I would venture to guess that I am among your top retail cutomers (excluding commercial fleets). I would think you would go a bit out of your way to make right the work we already paid you to do.
Brad and C., President/Owner from Furgerson's Garage responded on 04/24/2015

Furgerson's Garage is committed to providing the highest quality repairs at a competitive price. We offer an industry leading 24 month/ 24,000 mile parts & labor warranty. Almost three years ago our ASE Certified Master Technician installed a new factory Toyota rear window motor to ensure a quality repair was accomplished. Unfortunately the factory Toyota rear window motor failed after our 24 month warranty expired. After discussing the matter further with our very loyal customer, Furgerson's Garage replaced the rear window motor under a customer satisfaction warranty at no charge. The Check engine light, Traction off, and Vehicle Skid Control lamps were caused by two unrelated items: a bank 1 oxygen sensor heater element failure (the bank 2 oxygen sensor was replaced three years ago at our facility, which is still functioning normally) & a brake power booster stroke sensor (which requires the entire brake power booster unit to be replaced). Both parts were replaced with original equipment parts,  which fixed all three warning lamps illuminated. At Furgerson's Garage we employ ASE Certified Master Technicians with the most experience in the county who strive to perform exceptionally, and install only the best quality replacement parts available. Customer satisfaction is our highest priority and we look forward to continuing our business relationship with this customer.