Volkswagen New Beetle Coupe
02/06/2020
Kind and easy going. Took care of my needs and recommended what to do if I needed to come back. Will definitely come again
George R. from Ray's Import Auto Repair responded on 02/18/2020

Thank you for choosing Ray’s Imports and taking the time for this lovely review. We look forward to servicing your VW Beetle in the future. Thanks again!

WB
William B.
10/18/2019 Category: Service
William said the staff at this business is nice, but it took longer than expected. He said he went to pick his vehicle up and the final cost was $1500. He told them he could pay $1200 right away and would pay the rest after, because he did not have the full funds. They would not give him his vehicle until the amount was paid in full.
George R. from Ray's Import Auto Repair responded on 10/22/2019

We are a little taken back by this review, as we helped you out as much as possible. Ray’s Imports has a policy that we cannot release a vehicle without it being paid in full. We even met you on a Saturday(our business is closed), when you had the funds, so you could pick up your car. As far as as taking longer than expected, we met your deadline and unfortunately, your funds were not available yet.
We are sorry we didn’t meet your expectations.

RK
Robert K.
Jeep Commander
04/27/2019 Category: Service
Robert said the staff was friendly. He also said he had to take his vehicle to this business three times for it to be accurately fixed.
George R. from Ray's Import Auto Repair responded on 06/05/2019

I am sorry for your repeated visits, unfortunately, some repairs require multiple visits. We usually have to either keep a vehicle for an extended period of time, or return to the customer and have them return it to us after symptoms have been created again.
We would love all repairs to be simple, and unfortunately, it can sometimes take time... especially a multi layer issue.

Porsche 911 Carrera
10/25/2018
Replace guy at front desk
Owner was great but the guy he has working at rhe front desk isn’t. No personably, slow - seems to be annoyed!
George R. from Ray's Import Auto Repair responded on 10/28/2018

I’m going to start with, I’m so sorry your experience with the young man I had covering my counter was so poor. Thank you so much for your feedback. I always want constructive criticism. With this type of information I can make changes to ensure our customer service stays top notch. Let me add, my door is always open. Please give me a call Sir. I would like you to give me an opportunity to earn your business back.

George Russell -Owner
Ray’s Import Auto Repair

Cherie S.
Chrysler PT Cruiser
09/13/2018
Honest owner
I originally took my car there for an inspection of possible work to be done while I was on vacation.When I got there , my battery light was on--indicating a charging problem. The battery was replaced 2 months ago. It turned out to be the alternator. They fixed it right away and proceeded to do an overall inspection as I had requested. George, the owner, was up front about what the cost would be and what would and would not solve the problem. I will be using them again

09/13/2018
Wanted to give a better review but rude mechanic named James changed all that
I was ready to give a very good review..I was taking my car for an inspection for possible repair and the battery light came on.They determined that it was the alternator..and the fixed it . After I got home I realized they hadn't charged me for the alternator and went back. I talked with George Russell.the owner and told him I thought my bill had a mistake.He agreed and I paid him an additional $282.00. He thanked me for being honest.All my interactions with George have been very pleasant. Now comes the problem.. I called the next day, because my a/c is barely cooling and before it was ice cold..So.George is not in..I interact with James. I asked if He was familiar with my car..he replies very rudely.."remotely" So I asked how he removed the alternator..if he could have removed the A/C lines..he replies VERY RUDELY..." I am not going into my mechanical expertise" so I asked how much for a/c recharge..he didn't answer ..did not say anything..i said " hello..are u still there?" He then said "I'm checking. ." I then told him I would be talking to George and letting him know why I am giving a bad review..I again asked for the price of a/c recharge..He said $116.00 And said he didn't think he was being rude. I am 70 year old woman.I thought I had a new mechanic..I guess I do not. BECAUSE OF JAMES I WILL NOT BEING USING THIS FACILITY AGAIN..George needs new employees..or needs to never let them answer the phone.
David S., Service Manager from Ray's Import Auto Repair responded on 09/17/2018

Spoke to Cherie. We resolved the issue. Will personally take care of her from now on.
Thanks,
George

Jerry H.
Tennessee
MINI Cooper Hardtop
05/23/2018 Category: Service
Jerry said the problem was not fixed the first time he took the vehicle in.
George R. from Ray's Import Auto Repair responded on 06/13/2018

I do apologize that some check engine lights do require more than one visit for full diagnostics; however I would like to clarify why. All check engine lights are NOT as simple as the parts store commercials make them out to be. All codes do require extensive testing to verify the true source cause. Your car had what is called Vanos codes. Without going into too much detail, let me explain what Vanos codes pertains to. A Vanos is an oil controlled part of your engine that allows the engine timing to advance during acceleration. Now, Vanos codes can be very expensive to repair, if there is a real mechanical failure. Before we deem a true failure, we follow certain steps to ensure we diagnose it correctly. First is checking oil level and quality of the oil. We checked your oil, you were a liter low but not too dirty. We added oil. Next is to check when the last service was. You were not due for another 3500 miles. So we pulled some stored data and printed it off for further testing in case the code did reappear at a later date. Next we used a factory scan tool and tested the system. The system components tested good at this time. So next we had to recreate the issue to find if it only happens under certain conditions. Instead of us keeping your car for several days to test, we had you drive it until or if these codes did come back. You were notified when you picked up that you will NOT be charged to complete our testing. I want reiterate that. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience to discuss this. Thank you.

AT
Angel T.
05/19/2017 Category: Service
Angel said she took the vehicle into this business for repairs but was not able to pay right away. She had to leave it there for a while and they kept it. The guys seemed really nice but they did not really help her.

Johnathan H.
Thompsons Station, TN
03/11/2017 Category: Service
Johnathan said this business charged him $104 for the inspection and then they told him the repairs would cost $2400. He was able to find the parts for a third of the price. He took his vehicle to another mechanic and got his vehicle fixed for a third of the price.

VP
Vickie P.
Christiana, TN
Jaguar X-Type
02/25/2017 Category: Service
Vickie said she spent $2500 and the check engine light came on the next day. The vehicle still doesn't work. Now she has to take it somewhere else. She stated she doesn't think they did any of the work they say they did.

SO
Sam O.
Rockvale, TN
Nissan 300ZX
09/24/2016 Category: Service
Sam said the air conditioner is still not cold and this was his second visit. They should not charge so much if they can not fix the problem.

Sherry W.
Louisville, TN
07/23/2016
Expected better
I found Ray's Imports when my daughter, a MTSU student, needed some work done on her Subaru Legacy Outback. I saw all of the positive reviews and was excited to find what seemed to be an honest and reasonable place. We live in Knoxville so the reviews were crucial since I knew no one to ask for references. Her car needed a new battery, battery cables and a ground wire. I have helped my husband work on a lot of our cars over the years, including changing out battery cables on our 2000 Toyota Sienna. It wasn't a very long or intense job so I wasn't expecting the almost $500 quote to do the job. That was with a 10% discount since she was a student, which I did appreciate. I had no choice but to tell them to go ahead. The parts totalled $165. The diagnostics were $90, which is what I have been charged by our mechanic for the same service. As far as I know that is just hooking your car up to a computer to find where the problem is. I always thought that was excessive because the last time I had a warning light come on in the Toyota I took it to Auto Zone and they ran the diagnostics for nothing. I find that the $45 charge to replace the battery and the $180 to replace the cables and ground wires were excessive. Unless they did some other things that they didn't list under their labor, a labor charge over $200 was excessive. Especially since my daughter picked up the car and stopped for gas upon leaving and the car wouldn't start. They did send someone to get it started but the solution to the alarm was disconnecting the horn. I don't believe they fixed the problem so much as they put a bandaid on it. I will find out when she comes home and we take it to our regular mechanic. If my mechanic says that what was done was appropriate and the charges appropriate I will come back and edit this review. Until that time and I would not go back to them nor recommend them to anyone.

Jim D.
Honda Ridgeline
10/29/2015 Category: Service
Jim said his service was very expensive.

BP
Barry P.
Tennessee
GMC Cab
05/07/2014 Category: Service
Barry said this business did not fix the problem the first time. He had to take the vehicle back to complete it.

Ryne S.
Woodbury, TN
Nissan 240SX
11/16/2013 Category: Service
Ryne said he was not happy with the price quote, but they are nice. He would not recommend this business due to the price being too high.

Decalvin L.
10/10/2013 Category: Service
Decalvin said the vehicle was not ready when he expected it. The repair was promised by noon but was still not ready at the end of the day. He was told they just did not get to it. He would not recommend them to others for the reason mentioned.