GL
Gary L.
08/29/2019 Category: Service
Gary said he had a sound developing in his vehicle when it would hit a bump. He added he had Ed help him, who seemed to him to be a pretty experienced mechanic at this business. They took it for a test drive, they heard the squeak, and Ed said it was a bushing in the front. Gary said he couldn't really hear where the sound was coming from, but he wasn't going to disagree with an experienced mechanic. He made an appointment, he went there, he dropped the vehicle off early, he thought it was 8 o'clock, and after a few hours he came back. The staff had the vehicle up on the rack, and a mechanic said they couldn't duplicate the sound on the rack, and so then Ed came around. He took Gary into the business, he grabbed the pipe that extended in between the two front wheels, he shook it, and there was nothing, no sound. Then he went to the back of the vehicle and they heard the squeak. Ed told him it was the recall for the rear leaf spring, but that's not what he said when he took Gary out on the test drive. They charged him $52 and didn't fix anything. Gary stated Ed wasn't saying what he originally said, he was suddenly like, well he had to do those rear leaf springs and he wished they didn't have to charge him for not fixing anything. He said he would recommend this facility for some kinds of service.

TW
TROY and LESLI W.
Honda Ridgeline
03/27/2019
Extremely dissapointed with there sevice
I took my car here because Continental Honda seemed expensive for my 90,000 tune up. I thought S & P would be cheaper. First they said they would call me before they performed any work on my car, (which they didn't). Next, when I picked up my car it was actually $100 over what Continental quoted me. Than when I looked at the bill they changed my oil which I just had changed 1 month before. I asked them why they changed fresh oil. They said it is part of the service weather it needs to be changed or not. I would expect that from continental but not from S & P. I will not be going back there again. You lost 3 customers for good. As my wife and her son will also not go there.

HL
HEATHER L.
Lincoln Navigator
10/27/2018
Lies!
Was told my vehicle couldn't be aligned due to seized parts and lack of time in schedule. Picked my navigator up and brought it home and took it apart to see what was wrong. Low and behold nothing was seized. When I called to talk to the tech the tech told me "cool now take it to midas to have it aligned." I was then transferred up front and explained that the tech was wrong and she responded with "are you going to make an appointment or just have an attitude with me?" I was simply explaining that they were wrong. It was the absolute worst and disgraceful customer service I have EVER had! I will be talking to the owner on Monday. Sorry Steve. Your staff is simply the WORST!

JAMES S.
Chevrolet Silverado SS
07/15/2018
truck repair
wanted my ac fixed took it to s&p twice paid over 300 dollars and not fixed. Last time they called said it working fine and nothing else they could do. It quit working again. I took it to another shop they charged me 88.00 to fine out what was wrong because it wouldn't cycle. They took the system apart and found it full of metal filing which means compresser is going bad. I will never go back to s&p because needed it fixed right not put a BAND AID ON IT FOT OVER 300.00 DOLLARS. Really not perfessonial.

DANYELLE and GATOR G.
03/28/2018
Assholes!
If you question what your being charged for your treated like shit and told to go else where. You corner people into repairs due to lack of part options and are the worst to deal with. Over charge for inaccurate diagnosis and try to drain customers with out fixing actually repairs needed

RALPH G.
Toyota Echo
07/30/2017
Response time and efficient work
Thanks for great work ...
Steve H., Owner from S & P Certified Car Care LLC responded on 07/31/2017

Ralph, Thanks for the review, is there a reason you only scored us with a 1 out of 5?

GW
GAIL and JOHN W.
05/05/2017
Not so great visit this time
I'm not going to give a rating (but I had to pick a start in order to submit this feedback) because I'm mad at myself for not removing and loading my own tires, a mistake I will not make again since I found a nice big gash in the back of my Tahoe when I arrived home and unloaded my winter tires. Of course, I cannot say the mechanics caused the gash because I did not see them unload and load the tires. Also, the tires were mounted with the white lettering on the inside, and the Rs and Ls that were placed on the inside of the tires when they were removed last fall had to be scrubbed off when I got home. My mistake again for assuming since the Rs and Ls were labeled on the inside of the tires the mechanics would replace them with the marks on the inside and the white letters facing out. Finally, I was not given a military discount, even though I was given the discount during my previous visit. I will insist next time in filling out the entire form instead of just signing it like they asked me to when I arrived. Again, my mistake for not going over every detail with the staff and mechanics.

DON and KAREN W.
12/17/2016
Overcharge for parts
Won't be returning. First, S&P installed 4WD struts on my 2WD 4Runner, then charged the 4WD parts price on much cheaper 2WD struts. Done...

Richard W.
03/17/2016
Not so good... Should be a Zero Stars, now that I know
I have been a S&P Certified Car Care customer for several years and have always accepted their higher prices, which I associated to “its Alaska, there’s shipping cost”, or a convenience for being in Eagle River, but after having my last bill reviewed by a professional I found that I was being OVERCHARGED (double billed) on labor. As it was explained to me, S&P was charging fair market price for parts (cost plus markup) and the steps in the repairs were accurate, but they were charging me for each step as an individual repairs; even when one repair was required to get to the second repair and even a third repair. This means I was billed for the same labor multiple times even though the labor only occurs once in the total repair. The example was: they would charge to place a valve cover gasket at the normal number man-hours and then charge me the normal number of man-hours to replace a head gasket, even though 1/2 the labor would have already occurred with the valve cover gasket repair. Legal or not… I don’t know. I authorized the repairs and I accept that. HOWEVER, to most quality shops this is considered “padding the bill” and is not cool. I have since stopped taking my vehicles there and am seek a new shop. I would suggest anyone who uses S&P to get them to justify their labor charges.
Steve H., Owner from S & P Certified Car Care LLC responded on 03/18/2016

Richard,
There seems to be some confusion on one of our sides, the last invoice for your Subaru was for Valve Cover Gaskets & Spark Plugs and an oil change. No Cyl. head gaskets were replaced.
We did give you an ESTIMATE for head gaskets that may be needed at a later date. We do not PAD our bills. If you have any questions please give me a call.

JACOB and CHAYLA G.
Fort Richardson, AK
03/10/2016
Carelessness
The people are nice however I am very unhappy with the work. We have been up there atleast 5 times about the heat in my husbands jeep. We originally paid $1,700 to get the heat fixed, it continued to only work on the drivers side when it felt like working. We could not take it back due to the fact we were living in Wasilla at the time. My husband left for JRTC and the heat then decided that it was just going to quit blowing all together. We had some friends follow us and drop the jeep off once again.
After being called the next day and being told that we would have to pay yet another $350 to get it fixed we said okay. They later called us to come get it and assured us that it was fixed. We paid and started the jeep, I turned the heat on full blast and noticed that it was not blowing air out. The manager took a look at the new part they had to replace and came to tell us that the mechanics that put the piece in put it in backwards.
We got home once again to find the heat workin when it wants again, just timing it so that we can drop it off when it isn't working.
The mechanics are careless when it comes to their work and putting in the part just goes to show it.
I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone!

WB
Wesley B.
Palmer, AK
GMC Pickup
01/05/2016 Category: Service
Wesley said his overall experience with this business has been absolutely horrible. He brought his vehicle to them for a simple diagnostic on his exhaust, and the technician broke $500 in equipment on this area while doing the diagnosis, which was pretty rotten. He drove the vehicle there and had to have it towed away because of the damage he had done. Ed, the manager from there, was very rude and inconsiderate about the whole situation. This by far was the worst experience he has ever had when receiving service. Also, his technician swore at him as he was towing his vehicle from there. He would at least like to be compensated for the parts, which he had to pay, he had to do the service himself. He will never have contact with them again unless it was involved in court.

LE
LYNNDA E.
Chugiak, AK
Chevrolet Silverado
06/30/2015
All Ball joints but NO Hub change, BIG PROBLEM
Front upper & lower ball joints were changed separately, so TWO large labor charges instead of one combined. Note was made on my invoice to 'recheck' the Hubs on down the road. I was driving to lower 48 THAT day. After going to Anchorage & back, the grinding and vibration was worse. Shop is closed on Saturday so I went to Midas. Both hubs changed quickly, they could NOT believe it wasn't done. The dynamics change after new ball joints & it actually stresses the hubs worse. I would not have made it through Canada!! I was also charged for an alignment, which can NOT be properly performed if hubs are bad.
Steve H., Owner from S & P Certified Car Care LLC responded on 06/30/2015

Lynnda,
Sorry to hear that you had problems after leaving. I really thought you would make to Washington with the hub just starting to growl and could get it repaired cheaper there. As far as the alignment goes, our machine will not let us do an alignment if the bearings have play them. wheel wobble is picked up on the rollout procedure. If there is any thing I can do to satisfy you let me know.