Continue reading recommended reviews

Lashun S.
Murfreesboro, TN
This review is currently pending verification from the business.
01/12/2021
Rescore my review
I wrote a review 2 months ago about the customer service I received, however I need to be very clear, it was not George & he would have NEVER made me or anyone else feel less than or not happy with his services. My review was about a certain person that no longer works there & as I think about it, I think I took the entire situation out of context!! Out of the 6 years that George has worked on my car, I have ALWAYS received good customer service & always pleased with the repairs that were done. I WILL continue to take my car to George! I recommend Ray’s Imports to anyone that has car issues!!

Jim H.
Nashville, TN
10/04/2020
Car was 3qrts low of oil and misdiagnosed. $2,000
Returned my car empty of oil & not repaired after paying $2,000 - they fired mechanic / did not refund my money.

My vehicle overheated And was towed to the shop for evaluation.

First report was no damage to engine other than temp sensor, ignition coil and spark plugs… $1400. Repair completed. Second report also has leaking thermostat housing… $630. Repair completed. Total of $2k repairs on my $4k car.

After driving home I found the car 3qts low of oil (see photo) They had returned my car without properly refilling (or inspecting) the oil. I topped it off.
Next day driving, it indicated elevated temperature again, so I had it towed (again). After Ray’s inspection (by another tech) they informed me it was the head gasket all along. It had been missed by the same tech that also failed to tend to the basic need of oil. The additional repair ..$4,000. This would total $6k in my $4k car.
They had since terminated the original mechanic. They apologized for the error but would not refund any of my $2k they wasted.

Important to note is I requested specific inspection of the head before spending money on repairs. Also important to note is the engine was never cleaned which is required to do a thorough inspection and repair of the thermostat housing.
I believe this shop generally produces great work but they hired a poor mechanic and their lack of quality assurance allowed him to harm a customer, and they chose to not stand behind it.
All indicators are their interest in the bottom line is greater than a want to do the right thing.

mad m.
09/14/2020
Terrible
I would not recommend Ray's import. If you know there is a problem that you can't fix, let the customer know. Don't keep coming up with a different problem every week. Our problem was never fixed. I gave up.

FP
frank p.
08/27/2020
Disgruntled customer
Mr Russell, my name is Frank Pillow. I have had a bad experience with your business. Our bmw was referred to Rays import from Ford without our permission. Our car sat there for 2 months. I was told that the water pump was replaced by Ford with a non bmw part. Ok, we waited for this part patiently as I said for 2 months. We received our car on 8/26/20. We didn't even make it home before it overheated. So now, we are without our car once again. My issue is no communication from your service mgr at all. Everytime I would show up to find the status, I was not told the truth. Im not here to bash your company at all, I'm just informing you of my situation. I hope this problem will be resolved soon.

RE
Rick E.
Smyrna, TN
08/19/2020
5+5=5
I was given a discount card when I had repairs done last year. The card reads "10% OFF ANY REPAIR" in bold red lettering and yet when presented last month for more repairs in the amount of $1,101.72 they deducted $53.07 which by the way is less than 5%. I asked Jordan how he arrived at said amount and he said he discounted the labor 5% and the parts 5%. I asked him what about the 10% discount and he simply said "that's the way he was trained".
Hey George Powell - why not stand behind and honor what you're giving out to your repeat customers?

RE
Rick E.
Smyrna, TN
08/17/2020
Huge Disappointment
I had my Porsche Boxster in for service due to the camshaft aduster last year. Soon after they discovered oil leaks coming from the valve cover gaskets so I agreed with their manager at that time Timerling to have both replaced. Being that the car was 20 years old it would be crazy just to do one and not both. Several weeks ago I had my local garage tell me that my one of my valve cover gaskets was leaking which I verified and then informed them that it was still under warranty so I immediately drove it and left it at Rays. A few days later I'm talking with the owner George Powell and he tells me they only replaced one valve cover gasket so it must be the other gasket that's leaking. I told George their original invoice clearly states the word "both" gaskets were replaced and he said that was a "typo". I have more clear evidence that both gaskets were replaced from Rays when they reported to Carfax that "valve cover gasket(s) were replaced". Well George I guess you had another typo although all words are spelled properly on your invoice and what you reported to Carfax. When I had my car in last year I dropped it off in May and got it back in October, that's right they kept it for 5 months.

Ben B.
Lewisburg, TN
12/01/2018
Horrible
I paid $2700 to fix my Mercedes-Benz 10 days later same problem no guarantees is what i was told.

TP
T. P.

Sherry W.
Louisville, TN
07/23/2016
Expected better
I found Ray's Imports when my daughter, a MTSU student, needed some work done on her Subaru Legacy Outback. I saw all of the positive reviews and was excited to find what seemed to be an honest and reasonable place. We live in Knoxville so the reviews were crucial since I knew no one to ask for references. Her car needed a new battery, battery cables and a ground wire. I have helped my husband work on a lot of our cars over the years, including changing out battery cables on our 2000 Toyota Sienna. It wasn't a very long or intense job so I wasn't expecting the almost $500 quote to do the job. That was with a 10% discount since she was a student, which I did appreciate. I had no choice but to tell them to go ahead. The parts totalled $165. The diagnostics were $90, which is what I have been charged by our mechanic for the same service. As far as I know that is just hooking your car up to a computer to find where the problem is. I always thought that was excessive because the last time I had a warning light come on in the Toyota I took it to Auto Zone and they ran the diagnostics for nothing. I find that the $45 charge to replace the battery and the $180 to replace the cables and ground wires were excessive. Unless they did some other things that they didn't list under their labor, a labor charge over $200 was excessive. Especially since my daughter picked up the car and stopped for gas upon leaving and the car wouldn't start. They did send someone to get it started but the solution to the alarm was disconnecting the horn. I don't believe they fixed the problem so much as they put a bandaid on it. I will find out when she comes home and we take it to our regular mechanic. If my mechanic says that what was done was appropriate and the charges appropriate I will come back and edit this review. Until that time and I would not go back to them nor recommend them to anyone.

KF