Latest Review over 1 year ago

09/15/2018
Need follow up
I need to return to have a recently replaced bearing looked at. The firs time I brought the vehicle in they couldn’t detect the bearing failure. Second time it was replaced but sounds the same as it was. We will see.

MATT M.
03/06/2018
Not pleased
I was not pleased with my visit to tunex. I described the problem and even had a recording of the sound to show and they opted out to listen to it. Charged me $50 to tell me they couldn’t find anything wrong. An hour after I took the car the same problem occurred and there is obviously something wrong but I guess they are too prideful to take more info to help them fix a problem.

ME
MATTHEW E.
Chevrolet Suburban
02/06/2018
Love paying for emissions when it's not needed
My wife thought our car needed emissions so she took it in. Turns out it didn't need it. They looked up if it needed safety, why not look up if it needed emissions?
Plus she had to point out it was ladies day to get the discount.
I realize we are to blame as well. But not impressed.
Steve S. from Tunex Of Riverton responded on 02/07/2018

Sorry about that, this time of year when some customers are on last years schedule and some are on this years we miss what yeas need done when the customer does not have the renewal card with them. If it helps I would give you the $30.00 credit towards an oil change.

CA
CALVIN A.
Bountiful, UT
12/08/2017
Just get my oil change done
The last time I was in for a very routine oil change, they ended up messing with my air filter case to try and sell me a new air filter. Well, it never got put back together correctly. Also, within minutes of leaving the shop, my check engine light came on. So now I need to take it in somewhere else to see what else they messed with in trying to strum up more business for themselves. It is really hard to find good honest mechanics anymore.
Steve S. from Tunex Of Riverton responded on 12/08/2017

Calvin
Sorry about the air filter box issue. Please bring the vehicle back and we will repaire it for you and look into the check engine light no charge. It is possibly related to the air box so it should be an easy fix.

JEFFERY T.
10/30/2017
Incompetence, wrong info given
I took my car in on 9/23 as it was over heating. My car is a '06 Corolla and was told the problem was a cracked block. Was recommended to check my overflow to see how severe the leak was. Took my car to a different shop for 2nd opinion and was told the water pump had to be replaced. Being told my block was cracked when it was a simple water pump issue is a complete show of incompetence. I am extremely disappointed in the information I was given and will never recommend you nor use your services again.
Steve S. from Tunex Of Riverton responded on 11/03/2017

Jeffery,
I'm sorry we missed your leak but water pumps can be quirky and will leak sometimes and not others.  I would still recomend keeping an eye on the coolant because there was coolant residue on the back of the block that would not come from a water pump. If you come by I will refund the daig charge for you.

DAVID R.
South Jordan, UT
Nissan Sentra
10/02/2017
Never gives the stick
The place is registered as an on the spot place. I go in every time, to get the on the spot sticker, and every year I leave without the on the spot sticker. It's really annoying.

AC
ALLAN C.
Chrysler PT Cruiser
08/08/2017
They couldn't fix my car. I don't think they wanted to. When we took it back after having the spacing fixed he should have looked at it right a way instead of making us have to go back after it. We took it to Bid O and they fixed it.
If I could mark less than one star I would have. I will never got back and I would tell anyone who asks not to take their car there.
Steve S. from Tunex Of Riverton responded on 08/09/2017

Allan, first let me say I'm glad you found someone who was able to get your car fixed as our fittings would still not fit in the space provided after you used a come along to pull the mount out of the way your self. As for why we didn't check it before you left, our techs were working on other cars at the time with customers waiting so in fairness to the waiting customers I did not have them stop working on those vehicles.

GW
Greg W.
08/08/2017 Category: Service
Greg said the quote this business gave him on his brakes was ultra high. It was 25 percent higher than other facilities. He decided not to have the work done there. They tried to gouge him and charge him $60 just for telling him what was wrong. He has been giving this facility all of his business on all his vehicles. He was giving them recommendations but he will no longer recommend them. Since they tried to price gouge him he will be warning people not to go there. They tried to charge him $1,050 for a job that should have been $795. He is very disappointed. They just lost a fleet of vehicles to service.

AW
ALEX W.
Dodge Charger
07/18/2017
Disappointed repeat customer
Tunex has been the only place I've taken my cars to do any kind of service. This past time was a disappointment. The only positive I have is that they got my car in for an oil change immediately. The negatives, the constant upsells, told my air filter was dirty. $20 to replace. It's $10 at autozone and they'll put it in for you for free. Then for my oil change they tried upselling a synthetic oil change from normal. Didn't want synthetic, had to say it multiple times. Then I asked for a free battery check. They said they'd do it. But I know they didn't cause my batteries in my trunk, and I watched my car the whole time in the bay and didn't see my trunk go up once. Then when I asked if the battery was good the response i got was "if there's no lights on it's good" and that batteries last about 5 years. No specific info about my battery that I asked them to check. This is what irritated me the most and what prompted me to write this review. I had to get to work so I didn't push the issue at the shop. But I'll probably be going to another shop that my family goes to after this.

BO
BURGESS O.
Mercedes-Benz C300
06/04/2017
Never again
I've been going here to get oil checks because it's very convenient, but always felt a little dishonesty from Steve ( the customer service guy who's anything But customer service). This last time he was over the top rude after charging over $100 for an oil change citing that if I'm going to buy an expensive car I should be prepared to pay to maintain it! Really dude?!
I would not have minded paying if he nicely explained the charges but instead he was condescending and acted like I should not ask questions, just pay up! Never any. I'll drive the extra miles to get an oil change and rotations!
Steve S. from Tunex Of Riverton responded on 06/05/2017

I'm sorry I seemed rude but it was a busy day and I had explained the bill 4 times to you and most have lost my patience. I'm sure it was quite a shock to find out your Mercedes could not get the basic oil change but it does require 8 quarts of special oil along with a special filter. Ultimately you did achieve your goal of a free oil change as I did refund your money in full.

PD
PHILLIP D.
West Jordan, UT
Infiniti G37
05/11/2017
Engine Code Diagnostic
Highly unimpressed with the diagnostic performed on my Infiniti Sedan. 1) They charged me $80 for a diagnostic that was completely wrong. Told me it for that much because it took them an hour. It took Labrum 5 minutes to come up with the same code. 2) they told me they had to replace sensor for $350, not including the diagnostic fee. I go to Labrum. They tell me it's a dealer issue. I go to the dealer and it turns out it was a computer system reboot, under warranty, and resolved it $0 charge. This experience has turned me away from Tunex Riverton forever. I've been going there for 5 years and I'll never go back.

LR
Liz R.
04/24/2017
FEMALE CUSTOMERS BEWARE
Today I went to get my car serviced at the Tunex in Riverton because it had a weird noise that felt unsafe to drive. I also needed to get an oil change and light bulb change and the service guy name Dana had the nerve to say he didn't have time to get a service technician to check it because they were closing. I guess they would rather let a customer drive an unsafe vehicle, with the potential of it getting stalled on the road or worst getting into an accident. WHAT KIND OF SHOP ALLOWS A FEMALE VEHICLE OWNER TO DRIVE AN UNSAFE CAR WITHOUT CHECKING IT FIRST??????????????????????? KEEPING A CUSTOMER SAFE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THEIR #1 PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I took it here was because I felt unsafe driving my car to my mechanic shop in South Jordan. I should have taken my car to the Tunex in South Jordan where they ACTUALLY DO CARE FOR THE SAFETY OF THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

I WILL NEVER SET A FOOT IN THAT SHOP AGAIN! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TREATMENT EVER!!!

RF
RYAN / JULIE F.
04/19/2017
Fine visit til my car stopped working!
I went in today because I had a leak in my water pump. They gave me a ride home which was nice, and "fixed" up the problem. However, tonight when I took my car for a short drive, it chugged a few times and stopped working. I had to have it towed! Not very pleased right now with Tunex in Riverton!

KP
Kurt P.
Utah
04/14/2017 Category: Service
Kurt said the business didn't diagnose the problem first thing. There was a another repair before the actual repair that needed to be done.
Steve S. from Tunex Of Riverton responded on 04/17/2017

Kurt
It looks like there were mutiple issue with your car and maybe we didn't understand the discription enough to find both issues. I would appreciate it if you could find the time to discuss this visit with me.

Thanks
Steve

JOE B.
03/20/2017
Price gouge
This was the second time I got a price that was double getting it done else where , I was told almost 700$ to get my trans cooler lines replaced, I got it done at the dealer for 350$, I was told 700$ to have my driveline replaced and that it would only save me 60$ with no guarantee to have it rebuilt, I had it rebuilt at grs drive line for 325$, please inform me on why this is happening, are you not using the same mechanic price giude?, are you gouging because it's herriman or because it's a diesel?, then you charge me 30$ to tell me a double price!?, yeah, I won't be back